“Fantastic-Can't wait to go back!!”

Jade Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Coastal South Carolina, South Carolina
“Fantastic-Can't wait to go back!!”
Reviewed 17 January 2010

Fantastic resort, great room, views and service. Spent our honeymoon there and we still talk about it. Personal butler and all the extras! If you can't be romantic there...can't be anywhere. Worth the money!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 007Damselfly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Toronto
Reviewed 12 January 2010

I have found the perfect way to describe Jade Mountain:
"It's not worth the money we spent to go there but if that's what it costs to go to a place like Jade Mountain then do it."
My husband and I spent the week of our honeymoon at Jade Mountain. I dreamed about this place and stared at pictures for months in advance, I was almost as excited about the honeymoon as I was about our wedding.

The Good:
The food, my goodness, the food is fantastic. To this day I find myself wishing we had a Jade Club restaurant in Canada. Everything from the snacks, to the drinks, to the main entrees were never, ever disappointing.
The rooms {do I even need to mention this?} breath taking, very clean, and very spacious considering there is a pool in your room as well. The rooms are why I say to spend the money. You'll never see anything like it anywhere else in the world!
The beach - it's St. Lucia; you can just assume the beaches are going to be nice.

The {kind of} Bad:
We are not rich, we are newlyweds, and so spending just over $14,500 on a vacation is something we really had to sacrifice for. I have to confess, I wasn’t blown away by the service.. I'm sure they tried :) but personally, I feel I was taken better care of at the Dreams in Puerto Vallarta (a fraction of the price).
I'm only being honest but I feel like we were never treated 'special', more so, I felt we were expected to feel privileged to be staying at a place like Jade Mountain - My friends, I could have renovated my kitchen for the cost of this vacation - Jade Mountain was a choice.
I have to say this, we got what we paid for, cannot complain about that. However, I find it rather embarrassing when discussing our rooms to other couples only to discover that everyone else was upgraded to at least one level higher and we were not.

Additional Notes:
**Something to mention - the major domos {we had two and they were very kind and pleasant} however, the entire 'idea' needs to be rethought. I'd much rather get a bucket of ice for myself than to have to wait {and wait} for someone to bring it. This is just a small example, I'm not here to get into details.

**The activity vouchers - We booked the total romance package and were given many different activity vouchers to use during our stay. A very, very nice touch. We loved the sunset sail, very romantic.

**Make sure you pay the extra money to have dinner on the beach. Let me tell you, our waiter was exactly what you'd expect from a high-end resort like this and the food was excellent.

**Bring an extra $450 and spend it on the helecopter ride on the way back to the airport. The view, the relaxation, and the amount of time in which you get to the airport is worth it alone.

Aren’t I horrible? Going on and on like this! Rewind 6 months ago I felt like the luckiest most excited woman in the world. Something changed that when we were at Jade Mountain. You might roll your eyes when you read this review 'another reviewer to difficult to please' I disagree - Go, experience it, it's amazing and gorgeous - but when you get home, in the back of your mind, you'll know what I'm talking about.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Sandi88
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 January 2010

Let me start by saying that I thought the hotel was beautiful, the architecture very interesting and quirky (which I am a big fan of) and the views unparalleled. BUT...and not that this is exactly the fault of Jade Mountain, when you are rated 3rd best in the word and best in the Caribbean expectations are high and unfortunately for me (and my fellow travelers) expectations were not met.

Jade Mountain gets all the big things right...stunning views, service and wow of location but it's a lot of little things they get wrong (which makes the difference between a great resort and a resort of distinction.)

First off, our ride to Jade Mountain was a disgrace. I have been to the top resorts in the world and usually you are met at the airport with a comfortable car, served some sort of drink (water, fruit juice anything) given a wet towel something. We were met in a junky van, with a trunk that kept popping open. We had to stop 15 times. When we finally made our assent to the resort there was no grand entrance to let you know you've arrived somewhere special. The road to the resort was not paved. It was in terrible disrepair.

The rooms as I mentioned are indeed spectacular with views to match. The pools are beautiful. The beds, not so much. The sheets were scratchy and uncomfortable. The blanket the same. The bathrooms were nice but unremarkable. The tissues (I know i'm nitpicking but still how do you have dollar store tissues in a hotel marked highest in the world?) were sub par.

Because the rooms are all open, noise is an issue. You can hear all the staff clomp around in heavy shoes (why not have soft soled shoes?) and the doorbells ring so loud and long you can hear them in every room. It's like being in Big Ben's chime house. Why do they need to have such loud doorbells? It's jarring.

I realize there is a pool in every room, but sometimes you want to get out of the room and relax on a sun deck or somewhere else. There is no such place in Jade Mountain. There is a roof deck but there are no lounge chairs up there. Just regular seats. There should be a big beautiful communal pool as well.

The beach is not worthy of such a highly rated hotel either. I understand the beach is public and part of the Anse Chastenet resort as well, but the service at the beach was horrendous. It could take up to a half hour to get service even after hoisting your flag. Why not have a separate beach for Jade Mountain? We often would get to the beach and have all the huts taken already (the huts were in pretty bad repair too...with plastic laminated menus nailed to the posts.) The chairs were uncomfortable. Just a lot of surprising things.

The Spa too is not full service. Usually, in a resort of this nature there is a big beautiful spa with steam room, hot tubs, and extensive services. This spa was average and something I would expected at a Hilton.

We were at the resort for a full week. Perhaps, that was too long for a resort of this nature. Last year we stayed at the Aman in Turks and Caicos and it was heads and tails nicer than Jade Mountain. I guess I just made the mistake of heightened expectations.

There is no doubt that Jade Mountain is beautiful resort with many pluses, I just think the in room pools and open plan room don't in and of themselves make up for the complete picture of a truly luxurious resort. I think the resort needs a couple more years of refinement and it will get there eventually, it's just not there yet.

While, I probably will not return to Jade Mountain, I can highly recommend a visit there. Just don't expect the top rated hotel in the world.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank cjthekid
nyc
Reviewed 5 January 2010

This place is paradise. Everything about it was magnificent. The rooms are unmatched. Each featuring a private infinity pool and an open air room with one wall missing, opening your heart and soul to nature. It is everything romantic and beautiful. The service was fantastic. We had our own butler who was there for anything we could have possibly required. The jade mountain restaurant is out of this world. We were served a 10 lb lobster and when we met the chef we were surprised to find out that he was so young, yet so unbelievably talented and accomplished. I cant say enough wonderful things about this place. We truly miss it and no vacation will ever measure up. Nature at its most beautiful and service at its finest. I should make clear that this is for lovebirds. Dont expect partying, just romance, wonderful food, fantastic accomodations and impeccable service.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank zoinyc
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 4 January 2010

My husband and I visited Jade Mountain for 4 nights during our honeymoon to St.Lucia. We had an amazing experience here. We were upgraded from our Star to a Moon sanctuary. The pool was amazingly large and swept through the entire length of the room. We stayed in JB4, which is only two levels up. We considered that having a room a little bit higher, may have been nice, but then again, we didn't have to walk up too far after we returned from the beach.
The service at this place is amazing. We were looked after so well. The Major Domos are really there to help you with anything.
We had the AI plan that worked out well for us. We were able to have in-room breakfasts, lunches at Jade Club or on the beach at the restaurant there. Most of our dinners were at the Jade Club b/c we had heard that would be the best. However, your AI plan includes all of Anse Chastenet's restaurants and we heard Treehouse was very good.
We spent a lot of time on the beach. The service on the beach for lunch and drinks was very fast.
We went to Anse Mamin beach one morning, which is to the right of the beach at Anse Chastenet. I wasn't a big fan. It is more secluded, but the water entry at Anse Mamin was very rocky - if you want to swim in the beach.
The massages we had were excellent. We had the 60 min swedish couples massage. It was unlike anything I have gotten in the US. Well worth the money.
On our last night, our Major Domo had made us a nice jacuzzi bath and also decorated our bed with flowers. We had a wonderful time at this place and hope to go back someday soon.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank rdesaipatel
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 December 2009

Sandy and I were some of the very first guests at Jade Mountain at Anse Chastenet just outside Soufrierre in St. Lucia. This is an amazing five-star boutique resort with world class diving just off the resort beach. Hiking, Sailing, Diving, Eating, Spa! Amazing!

Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chrisherndon
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 December 2009

I am still in my JD3 Star sanctuary writing this review because I dont want to forget anything about this experience. After being here, I finally understand everything I read about. We arrived at UVF and there was a car waiting for us. The trip is $75 USD each way from the airport. The ride was an hour- 20 mins of it was going up the steep unpaved road to get to the resort. We arrived and our butler and manager brought us to JD3- Star. The sanctuary is incredible. Its about 1600 sq feet with a private infinity pool. I will try to post pictures when I get back to the states. Just an absolute incredible amazing room. The room gets sun most of the day until 5pm. The room has a fridge that they stock with some water, Piton beer, soda and a bottle of Prosecco wine. Once you drink everything, you need to fill out a form to restock your fridge. Every day they also place a "Bento Box" of snacks. One day was banana bread, taro chips and a salad. One day was coconut cake, nuts and chips. Each day had a new box. There was also a bag of sweets when we arrived. Another thing about the room- there is NO air conditioning and you DEFINITELY do not need it. There is a beautiful breeze that flows by. The only negative for me is that I am a very light sleeper. At home I have blackout shades. Here, at 6am, its bright as can be and full of birds chirping. Im an early bird anyway (no pun intended) so I didnt mind but people who sleep late might be annoyed. The other thing to know is about the bathroom. The bathroom has no doors/walls so you can be using it while your signifigant other is by the pool, bed or lounge area. It didnt bother us but I wonder if some couples would find that weird.
Food- I read a lot about meal plan or no meal plan. My husband and I NEVER get the meal plan b/c we like to enjoy the local bars/restaurants. What I didnt read was that it takes 20 mins to leave the resort- so, to go to Soufriere (the closest town) would take about 40 mins each way- not sure how much that would cost. We signed up for the MODIFIED meal plan (breakfast and dinner) that night. It was $90 USD per person plus 18% tax/service fee. BEST thing we ever did. We had room service breakfast that started at $24.00 USD pp before 18% each day and there are three restaurants to choose from in JM or Anse. The Jade Mountain club was really good. That is at the top of the resort. There were 2 menus. One stayed the same and one changed daily. Three courses and dessert was $85 USD pp plus 18%. We liked the Indian restaurant at Anse- Apsara the best. It was a 5 minute shuttle ride. Three courses plus dessert was $85 USD pp plus service. We also went to the Treehouse restaurant at Anse. That was our least favorite. $59 for three courses and dessert. They had a very limited menu and the service was spotty (not slow). We also had lunch at the Anse beach one day. It was typical beach bar food. I had fries ($5 USD) and my husband had a burger ($15 USD and a salad ($5 USD) plus 18% tax/service. My husband and I arent heavy drinkers so we paid for sparkling water ($5.50 USD) and 1 bottle of wine every night. On the modified plan, all drinks are extra. There is a FULL all inclusive plan that includes breakfast, lunch and dinner and drinks but for alcohol, you can only choose certain things that are included- its not every bottle of wine and drink. You dont need reservations to eat except for Indian. Indian is closed on Tuesday nights.
Service- the service was amazing. They gave us a tiny cell phone you can use anywhere on the island to call your butler. My only negative was that we booked a sailing trip through the hotel on our third day. We didnt know where we had to be for the trip. The butler switched from the time we arrived to the private sailing trip so we asked each butler twice. Finally, on the morning of the sail, we called the butler again to ask where we had to be. He finally called us back at 9am saying we had to be by the scuba desk so he called us a shuttle and we got down there by 9:15am (we were supposed to be there at 8:45am). It stunk that we lost 30 mins. If we booked the trip privately, I would understand that we would be responsible for getting where we had to go but I was surprised the hotel booked us the trip and was in confusion about it. I think next time I would book the sailing direct as well. I believe the hotel added $200-$300 on top of what the local guy charged. I tried to find someone local for sailing but couldnt. The company was called Bateau Mygo if anyone is interested in booking direct. Otherwise, the service was amazing.
Everything else- They have a VERY small gym that we had to go down many flights to get to (which was fine). There are 2 treadmills and 2 bicycles and a few weight machines and free weights. There are also water bottles and towels down there as well. Even though all the stairs were a great workout, I still needed to hit the gym once a day- even for 20 mins. There was one other couple there when we went.
Our flight leaves at 5:50pm tonight so they are letting us stay in the room until 2pm. Usually, they make you leave at 12n and give you a place to shower/change. We got very lucky b/c supposedly they are fully booked- GOOD FOR THEM!

I think thats it for now- please email me any questions or comments! If you are reading this, I hope you get to experience what my husband and I did- truly incredible!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
15 Thank hc11238
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet
Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort

Been to Jade Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!