“Rock-star service and rooms”

Jade Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 16 February 2010

Some time last summer, I received an email from a resort I had never heard of, offering a "special invitation." Normally, I delete email of this kind if it somehow gets through my spam filter. But the architecture of the resort portrayed in the email prompted me to visit the web site where I was intrigued even more -- Jade Mountain billed itself as a "resort within a resort." All the rooms -- which they called "sanctuaries" -- had an open wall to what appeared to be a fabulous view. Most of the rooms supposedly had "infinity pools" and came with "butler service."

I was skeptical but the offer was too good to dismiss summarily -- pay for an all-inclusive room at what appeared to be the second lowest of five levels and get a double-upgrade to the fourth highest. Plus, free transfers to and from the airport and a long list of free amenities (one-hour couple's Swedish massage, half-day sail, half-day jungle biking, off-resort excursions, etc.). We booked a room for February.

When we got to the hotel's welcoming pavilion, after an hour over rutted and dusty roads from the airport, we were greeted by a young woman with peppermint-scented cold towels and a welcome cocktail. She took us up a flight of stairs and down a winding path to the bridge to our sanctuary, where she introduced us to the two "major domos" who would be at our beck and call from 7 am to 11 pm during our stay.

Then our little entourage crossed the 50 foot bridge to our sanctuary itself. As she opened the massive wood door, our hostess casually mentioned that we had not received the double upgrade promised, but a triple upgrade to one of the hotel's two Galaxy Sanctuaries. The room behind that door was literally breathtaking -- about 2000 square feet, with the promised infinity pool, a separate patio for sunbathing, an enormous bathroom, and an unbelievable view of the ocean and the towering Piton mountain peaks. It's the kind of room they give rock stars and heads of state.

(I have no idea why I was offered the initial upgrade and why we were upgraded further. My wife and I are frequent travelers who tend to stay in high-end accommodations four or five times a year. Maybe there's a list of such people somewhere and we're on it.)

Later in our one-week stay we asked to see the other rooms that a mere mortal might actually be able to afford. We saw rooms in each of the three lower categories -- Sun, Moon, and Star. The smallest was 1400 square feet, and all had 15-foot ceilings and large infinity pools, only slightly smaller than the Galaxy's. The lowest level Sky sanctuaries have the same open layout, but jacuzzis rather than infinity pools.

To our surprise on checking out, all of our meals and drinks were fully covered in the all-inclusive package. There were no surprises. You pay only for bottled, as opposed to house wines, and for a few specialty drinks which are clearly marked on the menu. You can eat in all of the resort's four restaurants, including the excellent burger shack at the plantation beach next door. Even the drinks in the room refrigerator are included and you can order whatever you like in terms of beer and soft drinks. We never opened the French champagne or Pro Seco that were there when we arrived. Every afternoon, someone brings a bento box with snacks like fried plantain, salad, and mini sandwiches. You could easily spend your whole stay in your sanctuary since your major domo will be happy to bring full multi-course meals in. But you will want to explore the rest of the resort and St. Lucia itself.

For example, the Jade Mountain Club on the sixth level serves excellent meals with the same fabulous view as the sanctuaries. The young chef, Jonathan, has a masterful command of local ingredients from the nearby fish market and the resorts own organic farm. Angus beef and other meats are imported from the states.

The Tree House restaurant down the hill in the Anse Chastanet resort has excellent Caribbean food, as does the Trou du Diable restaurant on the beach. Jake's Shack at the nearby sugar plantation makes a terrific burger and is worth the short water taxi ride over. But the culinary star of the resort is the Indian restaurant on the beach. Its fusion of Caribbean-Indian dishes rivals any place we have tried in Manhattan. (And one of us doesn't particularly like Indian food.)

There's also plenty to do. We toured the sugar plantation, explored the drive-in volcano and mineral baths, hiked to the En Bas Saut waterfall in the rain forest, took a half-day sail up the coast, rode mountain bikes through the jungle, enjoyed a one-hour couples massage, and attended a cooking demonstration. Still there were more than a dozen excursions left in the activities guide, including snorkeling, evening sails, rain forest hikes, and shopping excursions.

Now for the practical information you will need.

1. Food is expensive. The all-inclusive and MAP plans are absolutely a value. We discovered that our all-inclusive plan covered all our drinks, not just we had at meals, but also what was in our room refrigerator and what we drank in the bars. Note though that the refrigerator is not automatically replenished -- you have to order what you want.

2. Jade Mountain is at the top of a steep rise. We counted 309 steps from our sanctuary on the fifth level to the beach at Anse Chastanet and that does not include some stretches of incline without steps. We considered the walk good exercise, but the major domos are happy to arrange transportation by car to and from the beach or the Anse Chastanet restaurants.

3. Because the Jade Mountain sanctuaries are open to the elements, the room lighting at night is quite low. If you like to read at night, bring a small book light. Heat is not a problem even though there is no air conditioning. There are about half a dozen ceiling fans and the trade winds provide a constant gentle breeze in the rooms.

4. We carried several bottles of insect repellent, but it was really not necessary. We saw no mosquitoes, even in the rain forest. The four poster bed has netting. Bugs were not a problem. However, there are lots of birds hanging around waiting for you to drop a few crumbs. Surprisingly, we saw little evidence of bird droppings. And each room is provided with a small squirt gun to discourage them from perching on the edge of the infinity pool.

5. Dress is very casual. Most men wear long pants and collared shirts to dinner. Women wear sun dresses or elegant pants. We didn't see anybody in what "fancy dress."

6. The roads are dusty, rutted, narrow and for the most part run along mountain switchbacks. Plus, they drive on the left as in the United Kingdom. Don't even consider renting a car unless you have driven competitively.

7. There are no TVs or radios in the rooms. We brought some small speakers and ran our iTune library through them. The resort has two computers in the reception area for access to the Internet. But if you ask, they will put a wireless access node in your sanctuary. Our iPhone worked perfectly both over wifi and over the local GSM cellular network. Keep in mind though that the roaming charges are quite high -- from $1.29 to $1.99 a minute, depending on your home rate plan. We made all our calls home using Skype.

8. Attend the brief orientation session on the morning after your arrival. It's a good opportunity to learn more about the resort and get questions answered. Plus it will get you oriented to the resort's layout, which can be a bit confusing at first. We had been there a day before we discovered that our room number was subtly printed on one of the bannisters of the bridge leading to our sanctuary.

9. If you want to bring some culinary souvenirs home -- like the banana ketchup served in the Tree House restaurant -- ask your driver to stop at the local supermarket on the way back to the airport or on any excursion outside the resort. The price is a fraction of the gift shop's.

10. There's a safe in the room and you really don't need to carry ant cash with you while in the resort. Incidental expenses -- such as purchases in the gift boutique or art gallery --- can be billed to your room. A 10 percent service charge is included in your room rate, but if you are on an all-inclusive plan, you will still be asked to sign a check at the end of a meal. Consider it an opportunity to add a gratuity to the bill for special service.

In sum, Jade Resort is one of the best -- perhaps the best -- resorts we have ever visited. It's expensive, but we thought it was worth it.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
20  Thank Dick M

Reviewed 15 February 2010

My wife and I decided to go of Jade Mountain because of many reasons. We love to travel to islands, we are divers, we are big fans from luxury resorts and we trusted the various positive reviews from TA.
But now that we are back I am truly wondering if we have been staying in the same hotel that the one described in some of the comments we read... So I decided to post my first review on TA to share my vacations with you!

Where to start? Our way to come in was tiring. You need 1 hour to come from the International Airport and the closer to the hotel you get the worse it becomes. The last 2 or 3 miles are unbelievable. You really have doubt to where the taxi driver is taking you. The road is not made at all, it is bumpy and dusty and narrow... I prayed the whole way that we would not meet anyone coming in front of us!
Then we arrived at Jade Mountain. No sign of it, the taxi pulled off there in the middle of the pathway. We were greeted by a smiling blond lady that offered us fresh towels and welcomed us joyfully. She took us to our room where our butler was waiting with refreshments. All the check in was made in the room which was nice. When you enter the room, you can only be amazed. The open wall concept, the first impression you get make you feel like you found the most beautiful hotel to stay at. We were so delighted by our room at first that we joked saying that we should not get out of it...
Then, we started looking at everything a little bit more and of course you then see details that you did not catch at first. As the days passed by we noticed far too many of these details to my taste...From the leak on the ceiling to the dirty label on the plug, the broken stone around the bath tub, the floor in great need of varnish, the pool tiles being dirty, the plants dying for water, the lamp covered with rust... What a disappointment! When you pay that kind of money, you obviously have high expectations and honestly, they were not met regarding the room. The problem is that when you go out of your room, you can keep seeing things that should not be in a supposed 5 star hotel. There are some fish trout on every levels, do not look at the cleanliness of the water in there... Poor fishes I do not know how they can breathe.
The whole thing looks unfinished and under construction. The columns, the fish trouts, the waterfall supposed to clean the water.

Then comes the time when we decided to go an relax on the beach. They have two beaches. One at the resort below and one that you can reach with a 5 minutes ride with a water taxi. The first one is bigger, you have little huts under which you can get some shadow. The lounge chairs are really old and not comfortable and I understood after a while why some prefered lying on a towel on the sand.
You have a system of flag that you can dig in the sand to have a beach attendant coming to you. We tried and after 20 minutes, being very thirsty we decided to walk to the bar to get our drinks ourselves. The beach is noisy, you do not have a proper swimming area and you get boats coming for everywhere. They park there, unload 20 persons and wait for them for hours. We asked who were these people and a waitress told us that they were coming for the cruise ship. Noisy and lacking respect!
Because of all this we decided to try their second beach which is next to an old plantation (by the way there is a walk every day that a guide called Meno is doing which is very interesting). This beach is nicer, more private, much calmer than the other one. The shades come from the palm trees and it really looks like a postcard. There is a little snack there where you can get grilled chicken or fish as well as the famous hamburgers. They cook the bread on the BBQ in front of you and it tastes so good.
We enjoyed this beach much more than the other one.
The only negative point is the toilets there. It is simply disgusting and you would expect a minimum for this kind of facilities. You actually have no water so you need to though sand on top of what you just did... You should have seen my wife's face when I told her!

As divers, we of course wanted to enjoy the St Lucian marine life. Even if you are certified, you will be forced to do what they called a check out dive. Only once this one is done, they will decide if you can dive or not! That was a bit annoying but we did it. Then we went to dive at a spot at the bottom of the Pitons where the coral is unfortunately dying. Nothing special to see there. We did another dive that was nicer which was called Pinnacles. But if you have been diving around the world, you will not find enough to see to make you satisfied. If you dived in Thailand or Maldives or Mauritius, then definitely not worth it.

Let's talk about the food now. The Jade Restaurant is located at the top of the building with an open view of the Pitons that is simply amazing! The food there is very tasty and the staff quite friendly. We often had breakfast in our room but did most of our dinner up there as the few other place we tried were not that great. Richiana, Earl and Julian have been the 3 persons that were going out of their way to ensure that we were enjoying our dinning experience every evening. We were taken so good care of when in that restaurant that we were forgetting all the negative points.

My wife went for a massage (I am not into spa treatment) and she said that the masseuse was very nice and experienced but that unfortunately the facilities did not help her t relax totally. It is not welcoming and the A/C is too low, plus you hear everything that is happening in the reception area... She said that she would have expected water fountain or nature noise, instead she got the same song put on repeat mode and the conversation from outisde. She said it is a real shame because Maura, the masseuse she got, was truly amazing.

Anyway, as a general opinion and feedback, Jade Mountain is not worth spending that amount of money. The view is not the only thing that a cusomer is looking for when travelling and maybe they did not unerstand this. There are far much nicer hotel in the Caribbeans than this one and I still wonder how it could have been elected best resort in the Caribbeans. Maybe the judge did not have time to go to Antigua or Turks and Caicos. And I will not even comment the rank #3 in the world... It is a joke!?!?!

I know that you might think that I am a big complainer but I will attach some photos for you to judge on your own and see if you would have liked our room...

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
36  Thank ZeExplorerZ
Reviewed 13 February 2010

My wife and I spent 8 days at Jade Mountain and they were all just incredible. After deciding to be married on the beach, somewhere, we found Anse Chastanet. I had booked our room at Anse Chastanet but they upgraded us to Jade Mountain because of our wedding. The entire was absolutely perfect and the staff incredible. My wife and I got to know much of the staff and we still keep in touch with many of them. I have read some the average and not average reviews and just can't imagine the other experiences because ours was so perfect. My wife and I have travelled all over the world on every end of the price sprectrum and this was by far the best we have experienced. We are obviously biased because we were married there and they took such great care of everything, but I must add that we met another couple on day one and the gentlemen had booked the last night (or two nights) at Jade Mountain as we planning to propose. When the staff found out, they immediately moved them up and they were engaged that very night! The staff truly paid attention to all of the guests while we were there and even went to great lengths to take care of our wedding party, a grand total of 4 other people who were staying at the other end of the island. The infrastucture in St. Lucia is certainly a pain and the wedding party didn't want to leave their beach to spend the day with us prior to our wedding, because it was going to take an hour or so in a taxi. When the folks at Anse Chastanet found out, they immediately found the fastest water taxi and had them to the beach pronto, which certainly made my wife very pleased. The only bad time we had is when we left the resort one evening to check out a local fire dancing show, it rained and the food was particularly lousy and expensive.......never a good combination. We just chalked it up as that the grass is not always greener and we should have just stayed put at Jade Mountain. We took part in many of their planned excursions, the volcano, mountain biking, snorkeling, and the sunset cruise, all were worth the experience. We did see a post about about mosquito bites, but we didn't experience any, although we did use the mosquito netting on our bed and the staff did light a candle repellant each evening.
The best part is by far the incredible rooms, or "sanctuaries" as they are called. Words don't do justice to exquisite beauty. The views are incredible, the wet areas, the pool, the lounge area, all was just perfect and from our perspective would be impossible to improve.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jsuthe8509
Reviewed 11 February 2010

Jade Mountain is a 5-star santuary. Having a private butler is part of the experience. Be sure to get on the food program they offer because food on the island is expensive. Beautiful beach, boat rides, walking tours, live volcano tours, snorkeling, whale watching, and the staff aim to please. Saint Lucians are people pleasers. And the butler will make your stay perfect.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank babykatg
Reviewed 9 February 2010

This was the best honeymoon ever. So secluded and private, with your every desire taken care of. Jade is just the place for love!!!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2010

After extensive research online using trip advisor and many magazine articles featuring Jade Mountain, my husband and I selected it as the location of our wedding and honeymoon in late Jan 2010. I was worried about the cost and whether everything would live up to our expectations – it definitely did. This was the most amazing vacation we have ever experienced. The Jade Mountain property and sanctuaries are absolutely breathtaking. We stayed in a “Star” level room (JB4). Although B is a lower floor, the view of the Pitons was not obstructed at all. Our bed was positioned perfectly to view the beautiful Pitons, and the sunning area with lounge chairs got great sun throughout the day. We often sat on the lounge chairs in the morning and late afternoon and were glad that area was there (I think the moon rooms don’t have this area and instead have a pool that takes up the entire outer wall area – I wouldn’t like that). Service was fantastic throughout our stay, although it took us a while to get used to it. The style of the service is non-instrusive, subtle, friendly, yet very responsive when you need something. Everyone was extremely friendly and took the time to know our names. This vacation was a truly memorable, romantic, and awesome experience that we cannot wait to do again, perhaps our 10 yr anniversary.

Our wedding was coordinated by Monica. Despite my concerns about whether everything would turn out okay, everything was perfect. We met with Monica on our first day at Jade, toured the property, and selected the northern end of the beach for our ceremony. We decided to have dinner on the top of Jade Mountain (Celestial Terrace) following the ceremony. Both locations were perfect choices. The photographer was phenomenal and far exceeded our expectations with the “basic digital package” – we came home with several disks of photos. We also opted for the dvd slide show set to music to show our family upon returning home – they loved it (well worth the $75 extra).

After reading many previous trip advisor reviews, I feel the need to comment on a few things:
1. Absolutely get the All Inclusive (AI) meal package. We ate (and drank) very well throughout our stay and were very happy we did the AI. The only things not included are bottles of wine/champagne, some high end cognacs/spirits, and lobster. If we added up everything we ate/drank, the AI was by far a better deal. You can also stock your room fridge with beverages – we got a small bottle of rum, fruit juice, and beer (as well as lots of water). We drank about 5, 1.5L bottles of water per day to stay hydrated – these are included as well. We had no unexpected charges on our bill at the end of the trip, despite my husband worrying that there has to be a catch to the AI plan.

2. Eat at Jade Club every night for dinner – service and food exceeded the other restaurants (we tried Treehouse one night and were not that impressed). Dinner takes about 2 hours each night. We usually went a little later (8pm) and caught the 2nd wave of dinner seatings.

3. Breakfast – have in your sanctuary every morning – all you do is fill out a form and put in a bag on your door and push a button – it arrives 20 min later. Lunch – eat at beach or Jade Club.

4. The beach is fantastic. We went there every day and fully utilized the services (towels, beverages, food). I don’t understand why some reviews didn’t like the beach. Sand/water/service was great. You can get snorkel equipment at Scuba shop at no charge and swim out from the beach to see fish/coral/sea turtles.

5. We spent one day at Anse Mamin and had lunch. We walked instead of taking the water taxi, and it was no problem walking (just a small section of rocks to walk over). Steak burger was fantastic for lunch. Beach was private and secluded.

6. Transfer from Airport to resort via SUV was tough. Both of us have weak stomachs and almost didn’t make it without getting sick. We decided to take the helicopter transfer on the way back ($440) – absolutely worth it. Takes 7 minutes instead of an hour, has fantastic views, and we felt great!

7. Infinity pools are not heated and are quite chilly. We only went into our pool during the late afternoon after a day in the sun. I had envisioned using the pool at night, but instead I used the Jacuzzi tub since the pool was too cold.

8. Major Domos – We didn’t really utilize them other than some help on our wedding day with spa appointment and getting a separate room for my husband to get ready. I had expected to use them more, but we just didn’t need anything. We didn’t go on any excursions, so we didn’t need their assistance in planning.

9.Bugs – I was worried about the bug situation and if I would get lots of bites, since I tend to be a magnet for them. I didn’t have an issue. I used Avon SkinSoSoft (bug spray and SPF30) during the day and some bug spray on my legs at night. We always kept our nets closed on the bed at night, and we always kept one of the mosquito coils lit in the evening while we were in the room. It was a non issue.

10. Steps from the Beach back up to Jade were great exercise after all the eating and drinking we did throughout our stay. Yes, it is a lot of steps, but after all the calorie intake, sleeping and laying on the beach, we liked walking back up each day.

The only suggestions for improvement that we can think of are (1) Get rid of the rooster that crows at 6am every morning. It woke us up every day and was annoying. (2) It would have been nice to have an optional TV in the room or in a bar on the property somewhere. We had a little bit of an issue being so cut off from the real world and news. Yes, this resort is for total relaxation and romance, but 24hrs day without any connection to the real world was a little extreme for us. (3) Infinity pool is beautiful but would be used more if it was heated. (4) Leave waterfall noise from infinity pools on all night – it turns off from 11pm to 7am – and was more soothing to just be on the entire time.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank 99beachlover
Reviewed 3 February 2010

Return to Jade Mountain– 3rd visit

Having previously stayed at Jade twice for one night only we stayed for 3 nights to celebrate a birthday. This gave us a chance to experience the resort over a longer period and also to explore the menus at the Jade Club and rate the standards of service properly.

Our major domos were Vito and Alain – although we saw more of Vito. Our sanctuary was JD4. Our package, booked 7 months previously included an upgrade. JD4 is categorised as a Sun Sancturary. I think it may have been a Moon Room previously. The room had an L-shaped pool which was perfect for swimming in. The deep area was around 5 foot deep. The room had great views of the Pitons and was located near the waterfalls which tumble down the side of Jade Mountain. A very strong breeze blew through the room which was perfect for us. Some might have found it too windy. The breeze calmed down later at night and the waterfall was switched off so sleeping was no problem. Unlike our stay last year, the weather was great so we had plenty of sun onto the sunchairs but shade back in the Room. Most of the pool area was in shade which meant the water was cool. Perfect for me as I get burnt easily!

Housekeeping was good, we never ran out of towels (as has been mentioned previously by another reviewer) and the Molton Brown shampoos were replaced regularly. Our ice bucket was filled up every night and the turn down service included details of the chef’s breakfast special for the following morning and an appropriate poem or text including one by Derek Walcott.

Service was excellent. There was one minor issue involving a non-delivery of breakfast. I was diving that morning so had requested a 7am breakfast the night before. Unfortunately my message was missed and breakfast was delivered a bit late – personally delivered by Vito once he was aware of the problem(!). The shuttle was also late to pick me up to go down the hill. This issue was resolved fairly quickly by Vito and Angel and I made it down to the dive centre only 10 minutes late. Later I received a nice surprise by means of an apologetic letter from the management and a bottle of wine. Jade take their service standards seriously! Other resorts could learn from this.

Food at the Jade Mountain Club is so much better than on previous visits. Chef Jonathan has made a real difference. Unusually for us we went All-inclusive and it was definitely worth it. Wines by the Glass include Chablis and Sauvigon Blanc. Cocktails include premium brands. Beware, the Bombay Gin and Tonic is very strong – at least a double measure is served as standard!. It is served with the gin in the glass with ice and a separate carafe of tonic. Classy…. I really liked the “Stairway to Heaven” cocktail which contains ginger.

Lunches were good although when dining early at around 12:15pm it took a while for things to get moving. I really liked the glazed shrimp, salads and, in particular, the Tuna Bonito first course which I had on 3 occasions it was so good.

One of the set menus included Foie Gras one night. The fish was very fresh and Jackfish was on the menu one night. I have not had Jackfish for years so really appreciated it. The only supplement we could see was for Lobster. Chef Jonathan is using a lot of fresh vegetables, herbs and edible flowers from the Emerald Estate which is part of Jade. My husband – who is a Botanist – visited the plantation six months ago and had an invite to go again to see how things had changed. He was fascinated by this. David Leaman, who runs the plantation, was very kind in showing him around.

At 5:30 pm people gather in the Rooftop Lounge to see the sun set and watch the stars come out. The Lounge has 360 degree revolving chairs and the waiters light little firepots so people can see but the night view is not spoilt. It created a rather special atmospherel.

I had two dives with Scuba St Lucia – they insist on a checkout dive, even though I had been diving with another operation the week before. Not a problem. The checkout dive meant that I had a personalised dive around Anse Chastanet reef with a divemaster, Calistus. who was very good. We saw a baby turtle in the first 5 minutes! The second dive was a boat dive to a site about 10 minutes by boat from the resort. There were 3 divers including myself and one Divemaster. The dive was good with plenty to see. Sadly I did not get to do my first night dive on this occasion as the dives take place 2x a week and the Monday dive was too close to my flight time.

One evening we went down to Anse Chastanet to have some pre-dinner drinks. Sadly the service was not of the same standard as Jade. The staff seemed a bit surly and not too keen to serve. This was in great contrast to the service at Jade which was first class. We had similar service on the beach during the afternoon. A flag was provided but nothing happened. In the end I went up to the bar and ordered a drink.

Finally, we were given a Sunset Cruise as a birthday surprise. I was expecting the usual crowded Cataraman! However, it was a yacht. The wind was blowing about a force 4 to 5 and we were on the yacht with two other guests and a Captain and crew of 2. We were allowed to helm the yacht as we are sailors. This was a first for me in the Carribean and the highlight of the stay. Helming the yacht in a good wind with the Pitons nearby and using Jade Mountain as a navigation sight on the return trip is a memory that will stay with me a long time.

Checkout was a bit of an issue, the bill was wrong but eventually corrected.

In conclusion. This 3-day special stay was not cheap for us, there were a few minor issues that were resolved promptly. We had a great stay. Was it worth it?

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank St-Lucia_Enthusiast
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet
Stonefield Villa Resort
Stonefield Villa Resort
#6 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Jade Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!