“Typical tropical hotel”

Ranked #4 of 8 Soufriere B&B and Inns
winston-salem
“Typical tropical hotel”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

This hotel is well located between the local and international airports on St. Lucia in the Caribbean. It is not a tourist area but a true local's town. I spent a night there before and after a sailing cruise. I would not advise staying there unless you want a view into the local flavor of the island population. The hotel was old, but well appointed. There was AC in each room. You have to climb at least three flights of stairs to the rooms. Security guard and desk clerk were very helpful. The locals hang out on the streets day and into the night. Unemployment runs 25% on the island. Very noise at all times. I felt safe, but out of my comfort zone, particularly as I was traveling solo.

Room Tip: I had a beautiful view of the ocean and Pitons from my balcony.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank jrmwvu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Prague
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We spent 7 remarkable days in St. Lucia thanks to the Downtown Hotel. Initially my wife and i were a bit skeptical about staying there but after we booked our stay the fun began. The location is ideal, right in the heart of Soufriere were there's easy access to everything local! The staff and service workers are very professional, delightful and knowledgeable about St. Lucia. The beach is 5min walking distance. The Diamond Falls and Sulfur Springs are 10 min drive away. The hotel is ideal for exploring the island and having a relaxing time as well.

1 Thank MatejZ_13
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 29 March 2013

The Downtown Hotel and staff were good. Had a little trouble with the airconditioner. Told the front desk and it was fixed. No proplem.The local resturants were interesting and the meals fine. Good breakfast and views at The Still
SOUFRIER was the problem. I'll mention I'v been going to St Lucia for forty years.
We were driving a rental car. On the main street a local jumped in front of the car franticaly waving and yelling about road construction.Should have run him over. I knew there was No road construction!Drove around him as he continued pounded on the hood of the car.Unsettling!
Street parking only at the hotel.As we were trying to park out front,a man on a bicycle started pounding on my window demanding to know what attraction we were trying to find. It was busy and I just wanted to stop blocking traffic. I had to be agressive to get rid of the idiot so I could get off the street..
When I came back to the car to get our luggage I was harrased by a guy telling me he worked for the hotel and was looking after my car. Every time we went out he was there insinuating we should pay him. I did not.
When we left the hotel in the evening to go for dinner. We were blocked at the hotel entrance by a guy trying to solicit donations for a charity collecting money for tennice balls. Said he worked in the pharmacy on the hotel property. Tried to conn me out of $40 US. Gave him $20 EC to get rid of him. That just made him beligerent.. Give these people nothing. I should have knowen better.Two days in Soufrier and we were harased six times!
THE WHOLE SOUFRIER EXPERIENCE WAS THE WORST I HAVE HAD IN 40 YEARS. I CANNOT RECOMEND SOUFRIER AS A DESTINATION AT THE PRESENT TIME. We spend a March in St Lucia,

3 Thank islandcustom
Portland OR
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I booked this hotel for 5 nights this last week and got a few things to say:

They use Marcus' taxi Service, he is seriously nice and so is the other driver that works for him (I forgot his name but was really great also) 1(758)287-7941 is his cell. $24 to ether beach and $60 to the volcano, gardens, and beach for the rest of the day. Taxis are a huge rip off in st lucia but Marcus was the cheapest we had found on our trip. He even gave us a ride out to the mango tree restaurant and then a tour around town for free one night before taking us to two different bars to hang out! Go with Marcus and tell him Tim & Chelsea sent you, he can answer a lot of questions and is really nice.

Back to the hotel. Its downtown, 1/2 a block from the ocean and pier where the water taxis are. Close to the volcano crater and botanical garden. Doesn't take long at all to get a ride to Jalousie or Anse Chastanet by taxi or water taxi, see above taxi advice. The younger lady that worked the counter was very helpful and nice, the older one knows a lot less on prices of things to do in the area.

Rooms are nice, clean, no fan or window in the bathroom. Had room #16 and the view on the piton and city was really great, could sit on the balcony and just stare off enjoying the sounds of the frogs and crickets for hours.

they lock the doors at night but as long as you TELL the security guard your leaving and coming back, or have Marcus tell the guy, he will wait for you. It is his job. Now if you wake up at 3am and want something i would suggest buying stuff from the market during the day to have hold ya over. I wouldn't say its super ghetto or hood like others but was HIGHLY annoyed walking around downtown due to being asked by EVERYBODY to buy this or can i have money for food. 99% of the people are nice but persistent and it really gets on your nerves everyday all day. Even had some guy say he was the security guard, tell me he would leave the door open till i got back, tried getting $10us from me before the security guard got involved and told him to leave us alone.

As a hotel goes, I would go back if it wasn't for the town people harassing you all the time to buy stuff or give handouts. Hotel was great in my opinion and better than I had expected for that price. The restaurant at floor level will save you some real $$ also, food was good for what it was and affordable.

Room Tip: room 16 had a nice ocean / piton view
1 Thank Tim N
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Don't book it! I won't be staying there ever again. The people were pleasant but that doesn't make up for the lack. (Low water pressure, no hot water in sink, phone not working in room, ALL lobby doors to hotel are locked after a certain time so you can't get out at 4am if you need to unless u knock on doors and make noise like I did in order to get out by the guard after I found him). Oh and the beach is a joke...it's the hood too. I'll be in Castries or Rodney Bay area next time. Not Soufriere and certainly NOT the Downtown Hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank C C
Sutton, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2013

This was not 5 star but then again I was looking for a 5 star.the room was clean maybe not our standard beds were comfortable room was large had a great view of the ocean and the piton.only think I missed was a coffee perk,talking of coffee that was hard to find any where in soufriere St Lucian's are not big coffee drinkers.

Room Tip: If your not. Happy witty our room ask to see an other but you do want to be ocean front
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Waterville, ME
Reviewed 28 February 2013

We brought 2 folding bicycles with us which the hotel let us store in our rooms or the lounge. The hotel is located on the second floor of a shopping plaza. So it made it a bit hard to carry the bikes all the way up to our rooms. I was surprised how quiet the rooms were for the central downtown location. The staff was friendly. The water in the shower was not so warm.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family