“Fun and Exciting Vacation - Truly Home away from Home!”
Review of The Downtown Hotel

The Downtown Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Soufriere B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Looking for an inexpensive but enjoyable way to spend your vacation and experience the culture of Soufriere? The Downtown Hotel is the place to be! Its my second time staying at this hotel and I have no complaints. The customer service is superb. They are equipped with wealth of knowledge on the activities and different attractions that Soufriere offers. I stayed this time with a friend and I totally enjoyed my mini vacation. We were provided with taxi service to the Diamond Falls, Gros Piton Hike, Sulphur springs , Tet paul nature trail and not to mention the rainforest sky rides at Morne courbaril. Our driver Marcus was kind and answered all our questions , not to mention the fact that he is also a good driver and offers reasonable prices. The Downtown hotel in connection to the tours that are arranged through Marcus taxi service makes this hotel your number one choice if you want to experience the culture , history of the people of Soufriere as well as an enjoyable and hassle free vacation.
Our room was very clean and spacious and the view of the pitons is amazing!! Imagine sitting back in your chair whilst the sun rays on blue waters and the view of the pitons adorn your eyes and oh at night , the stars and the moon light! Just beautiful! If you plan on staying there, choose room 16! Free wifi is also available which I loved. The cleaning staff are quite helpful and friendly and we were also given fresh towels daily. We also loved the fact that this hotel is in close proximity to the various attractions, supermarkets , restaurants in addition to a drugstore downstairs as well as a restaurant which offers scrumptious food at reasonable prices. We would also recommend Skippers and Petit peak if you’re looking to enjoy good food and have a few beers . Overall, the Downtown experience was commendable.
Room rates –reasonable
Customer service – Excellent
Tour arranged- Fun and also reasonable
Rooms- Very tidy and beautiful
What more can you ask for?
You want to have an enjoyable Caribbean experience in Soufriere? The Downtown Hotel is the place to be!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Suanne B

Reviewed 26 April 2013

Before we begin, let us tell you about us. We are a young Canadian couple who often camp out in the woods with bare minimum, so we are far from particular. All we expect from a hotel room is cleanliness. And for 96 $ US, in the off season, we were sorely disappointed.

The first room we were given, had no towels or toilet paper. That was fine, they gave us one towel and a roll of toilet paper. The problem is, it's hard to use the bathroom in the dark. They couldn't fix it so we asked to change rooms. In our new room, there was an used shower mat on the floor.

The toilet was incredibly stained and the shower drain had an obvious mystery lump, and at the end of a quick shower, we were ankle deep in questionable water. In our sheets, we found quite a bit of sand. Wasn't sure if the sheets had been cleaned from previous guests as the sheets were heavily wrinkled.

We had a full size fridge, however there was an open bottle left behind, and it was dirty as well.

We were unable to address the issues because we checked in just before five and then had supper. The hotel also lacked a sense of security, especially since it was located in a mall in the heart of Soufriere. There was only one lock on our door and it wasn't a deadbolt.

Also expect to be harassed by a few locals for money.

On a positive note, before the staff left for the day, they were very helpful with our many questions about getting around the town. We had the ocean view, but depending on the room, you can get a beautiful view of the piton and harbor, or that and corrugated roof.

Our recommendation, spend the extra few bucks and book a better hotel, and use the local bus to get to the tourist attractions, which cost between two to six ECs. Most of the locals were very friendly.

Happy travels!

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank PathsAbroad
travel041, Manager at The Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Thank you taking time out to give a review as we appreciate constructive criticism in order to ensure that our guests expectations are not only met but exceeded. Let me start off by addressing your first issue, all of our rooms are furnished with 2 bath towels as well as toilet paper but we do apologize for this .We always strive to ensure that our guests are well cared for , but I am pleased that your needs were attended to immediately. The faulty light couldn't be repaired immediately because it was too late to call in a repairman. I am also pleased that our employee immediately moved you to another room upon bringing up this issue. However , we are equipped with an exceptional cleaning staff who ensure that all rooms are cleaned according our high standards so it is very disturbing when these comments are made about the lack of cleanliness of a room when we are well known for clean and comfortable rooms! We have employees on hand at that given time which you stated ( 5 oclock ), so if you had any concerns our front desk staff would be happy to assist you.
Another issue which I find very alarming is the comment you made about ‘lack of security’ when we have a security guard on hand 24/7 as well as a full security camera system both on the hotel floor and the front desk. Other guests can definitely attest to this. All our rooms are secured with door locks as well as latches to ensure our guests safety.
I am very pleased that our staff were very helpful in regards to your questions about directions. Our Sea/ Piton suites are well known for exceptional views of the Majestic Pitons which are designated World Heritage sites as well as the harbor.

I want to thank you again for taking time out to give us a review as we take into consideration all comments to ensure that we provide our guests the best customer service. In addition , there is always room for improvement.

Regards,

Johnita Charles
Managing Director

Reviewed 9 April 2013

We wanted to spend one night in Soufriere before returning back to the US and did not want to spend a fortune on a resort. This hotel was good for what we needed even though less nice than what we expected. It is right in the middle of the town away from tourist areas but just a short driving distance from all the natural attractions Soufriere has to offer. The room was basic but we had a nice view from the balcony. Locals seemed to be up and about until late at night and early in the morning and the room was not very sound proof. You need to climb three flights of stairs to get to the hotel which was not fun with heavy suitcases and street parking was a bit of a hassle. Staff was very nice. I would recommend this hotel if you just need a clean place to sleep over but not for a longer stay. I agree with all the comments from jrmwvu's review below.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

This hotel is well located between the local and international airports on St. Lucia in the Caribbean. It is not a tourist area but a true local's town. I spent a night there before and after a sailing cruise. I would not advise staying there unless you want a view into the local flavor of the island population. The hotel was old, but well appointed. There was AC in each room. You have to climb at least three flights of stairs to the rooms. Security guard and desk clerk were very helpful. The locals hang out on the streets day and into the night. Unemployment runs 25% on the island. Very noise at all times. I felt safe, but out of my comfort zone, particularly as I was traveling solo.

Room Tip: I had a beautiful view of the ocean and Pitons from my balcony.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank jrmwvu
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We spent 7 remarkable days in St. Lucia thanks to the Downtown Hotel. Initially my wife and i were a bit skeptical about staying there but after we booked our stay the fun began. The location is ideal, right in the heart of Soufriere were there's easy access to everything local! The staff and service workers are very professional, delightful and knowledgeable about St. Lucia. The beach is 5min walking distance. The Diamond Falls and Sulfur Springs are 10 min drive away. The hotel is ideal for exploring the island and having a relaxing time as well.

1  Thank MatejZ_13
Reviewed 29 March 2013

The Downtown Hotel and staff were good. Had a little trouble with the airconditioner. Told the front desk and it was fixed. No proplem.The local resturants were interesting and the meals fine. Good breakfast and views at The Still
SOUFRIER was the problem. I'll mention I'v been going to St Lucia for forty years.
We were driving a rental car. On the main street a local jumped in front of the car franticaly waving and yelling about road construction.Should have run him over. I knew there was No road construction!Drove around him as he continued pounded on the hood of the car.Unsettling!
Street parking only at the hotel.As we were trying to park out front,a man on a bicycle started pounding on my window demanding to know what attraction we were trying to find. It was busy and I just wanted to stop blocking traffic. I had to be agressive to get rid of the idiot so I could get off the street..
When I came back to the car to get our luggage I was harrased by a guy telling me he worked for the hotel and was looking after my car. Every time we went out he was there insinuating we should pay him. I did not.
When we left the hotel in the evening to go for dinner. We were blocked at the hotel entrance by a guy trying to solicit donations for a charity collecting money for tennice balls. Said he worked in the pharmacy on the hotel property. Tried to conn me out of $40 US. Gave him $20 EC to get rid of him. That just made him beligerent.. Give these people nothing. I should have knowen better.Two days in Soufrier and we were harased six times!
THE WHOLE SOUFRIER EXPERIENCE WAS THE WORST I HAVE HAD IN 40 YEARS. I CANNOT RECOMEND SOUFRIER AS A DESTINATION AT THE PRESENT TIME. We spend a March in St Lucia,

3  Thank islandcustom
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I booked this hotel for 5 nights this last week and got a few things to say:

They use Marcus' taxi Service, he is seriously nice and so is the other driver that works for him (I forgot his name but was really great also) 1(758)287-7941 is his cell. $24 to ether beach and $60 to the volcano, gardens, and beach for the rest of the day. Taxis are a huge rip off in st lucia but Marcus was the cheapest we had found on our trip. He even gave us a ride out to the mango tree restaurant and then a tour around town for free one night before taking us to two different bars to hang out! Go with Marcus and tell him Tim & Chelsea sent you, he can answer a lot of questions and is really nice.

Back to the hotel. Its downtown, 1/2 a block from the ocean and pier where the water taxis are. Close to the volcano crater and botanical garden. Doesn't take long at all to get a ride to Jalousie or Anse Chastanet by taxi or water taxi, see above taxi advice. The younger lady that worked the counter was very helpful and nice, the older one knows a lot less on prices of things to do in the area.

Rooms are nice, clean, no fan or window in the bathroom. Had room #16 and the view on the piton and city was really great, could sit on the balcony and just stare off enjoying the sounds of the frogs and crickets for hours.

they lock the doors at night but as long as you TELL the security guard your leaving and coming back, or have Marcus tell the guy, he will wait for you. It is his job. Now if you wake up at 3am and want something i would suggest buying stuff from the market during the day to have hold ya over. I wouldn't say its super ghetto or hood like others but was HIGHLY annoyed walking around downtown due to being asked by EVERYBODY to buy this or can i have money for food. 99% of the people are nice but persistent and it really gets on your nerves everyday all day. Even had some guy say he was the security guard, tell me he would leave the door open till i got back, tried getting $10us from me before the security guard got involved and told him to leave us alone.

As a hotel goes, I would go back if it wasn't for the town people harassing you all the time to buy stuff or give handouts. Hotel was great in my opinion and better than I had expected for that price. The restaurant at floor level will save you some real $$ also, food was good for what it was and affordable.

Room Tip: room 16 had a nice ocean / piton view
1  Thank Tim N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
17 mi away
#1 of 9 in Soufriere
Bay Gardens Inn
Bay Gardens Inn
#1 of 15 in Gros Islet

Been to The Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!