“Perfect choice”
Review of Villa des Pitons

Villa des Pitons
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Reviewed 27 December 2012

My wife and I stayed at Villa des Piton, a week from today and we would like to share with you our experience. The folks at Villa are very friendly, warm and loving. We stayed in Soliel choucher and the view from our room was superb. Beautiful view of the town, Pitons. The meals were great, very tasty. This was our first time, but definitely not our last. We look toward to a return trip, as we were only there for four days and didn't get to do all we wanted to. Thank you to Dora and all her friendly staff who made us feel more welcomed as the days went by. Best wishes and success for 2013.
Bridgette and Sam,

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank bridgettesam

Reviewed 3 December 2012

I have to say that the experience of our stay at Villa Des Pitons fell very short of the expectations that we had from the reviews that we read. We were booked the standard room for 3 nights and although we were not on the property for very long throughout the day due to work, we were pretty eager to leave to our next hotel.

Although there are positive aspects of the hotel/room, there was something also very off about it at the same time. I would agree that the decor and structure of the building are not conventional and are unique, however being that the rooms are set on the upper levels of the property, this made it taxing to bring our luggage up the stairs. Since there was no staff person to help with our luggage, our taxi driver had to help us bring our luggage up to our rooms, which I ended up having to carry half the weight since it was straining even for our driver. Our room had AC which made up for the fact that there was no way to get ventilation unless we left the entrance door open as there was no window to open. And since there were no other openings to the room, this made for minimal access for bugs to get into the room. The room was spacious enough as well as the bathroom, but it was perplexing that there was no counter space to place your personal toiletries on, nor any seating in the entire room, other than your bed. There was only one small square mirror in the room as well as the bathroom, which made it interesting to get ready. I had to move the mirror around the room in order to use it near an outlet plug, which reminds me...there was no outlet in the bathroom. Oh, and I wouldn't recommend that you look behind the mirror as you will find cobwebs of deads things in the frame. There was a TV (although mounted in the far corner of the room) and a mini fridge, but no complimentary goodies like another viewer had mentioned. And speaking of amenities, forget about shampoo/conditioner or a hair dryer...and the real kicker, WIFI as advertised on the site. We had to find wifi signal around the property as if we were on a treasure hunt with metal detectors. Closet space was ample but smelled of mold, and although there were plenty of hangers, 80% were rusted. There was a restaurant, but it seemed like an illusion of sorts. We arrived early evening, but one of the staff had informed us that the restaurant was not open (even though the website states open hours until 10pm) and suggested that we walk down the hill to a local restaurant. Don't get me wrong, I'm always up for a local adventure, even if it means a bit of walking. But being that we just travelled across the states from the westcoast on a red-eye, then onto another 4 hour connecting flight, in addition to an hour shuttle transfer...I was not too keen about walking in the dark on open road and where parts are unpaved. There was no "foresight" from management as another reviewer had mentioned in our case. Another thing about the restaurant was that I had not seen a single guest seated in all 3 days we were there, which lead me to believe that we could have been the only patrons at the time. Security was lacking as on one of the nights that we returned to our room, we found that the maid had left our door unlocked, which was very concerning since there was no safe box in our room to lock away items. I was also surprised to read in another review that they had a phone in their room, as we certainly had none. If there was a guest service desk, this wouldn't be much of a problem, however there seemed to be NO dedicated desk to ask questions or express needs. Basically your only chance to ask a question was if you happen to spot a staff person walking around. Fortunately we were able to coordinate pick-up times with our taxi driver ahead of time.

All of these shortcoming may be due to the fact that we were in a standard room versus a deluxe room, and perhaps because there were no other patrons to service at the time, But for $120/night, I would have expected a little more from this hotel than just a bed with a ripped sheet, a toilet, and half working faucet. Separate from the hotel itself, the staff that we did happen to encounter were all very nice, but the only point of "service" that we experienced.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MrsHong
Luciana01234, Manager at Villa des Pitons, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2012

Thank you for your review. Though some of your comments are well founded, I must point out the ones which are not. For instantance, you mentioned the room had not windows. The room in particular which you occupanied, (ROOM 1), has a window in the bedroom, a small window in the bathroom and a double door entrance. The restaurant is open daily Sunday to Saturday, from 7:30am to 6:00pm. At the moment since it is a beat quiet we are open for dinners based on reservations. You mentioned you did not see any patrons at the restaurant during your stay with us, this was because you were, as you mentioned in your review, working, so you were only here early mornings and later evernings. We cater daily at lunch time for cruise ships and other hotels, eg. Sandals, etc. Hence the reason for our two largest restaurants, being set daily. I personnal meet your husband briefly, only on two occassions, since you were as mentioned, hardly here. With regards to the security, since it is a beat quiet, we only have one present during the day and one on evernings. After having discussions with him, he mentioned he was on his rounds (checking the grounds), and missed you a couple of times during your arrival on evernings. I have asked him to ensure / try his best to be at the entrance to greet each guest. Unfortunately we can not get access to the wi-fi in the rooms but within the restaurant areas. I am sorry the young lady which greeted you did not mentioned this. We do have a reception area which is open from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, otherwise you are free to ask any of the staff for assistance or management. We leave on property, which also means security can get us to assist you at any time day or night. We are a very small property, with only 10 rooms, local family owned. Basically we work as a family and every one assists in any areas needed. I have added a sofa and additional mirror in the room, since I believe it is needed and was an over sight on our part. Again I would like to thank you for your review and we do apologies for your experience.

Reviewed 7 November 2012

We spent five days with my husband in this hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the food was great and the service was excellent. We enjoyed every minute of our stay. The room was spacious and clean. Very nice place to stay if you want to discover St. Lucia. Far away from noisy Castries and near almost all the "worth to see" places. Dora, the owner, is very foreseeing. The first night when we arrived late at night although there was no restaurant service she arranged a welcome drink and a wonderfull dinner for us on a great terrace with a wonderful view on the charming bay and little town Soufriere. This special care was felt during all our stay. Five stars hotel feeling in a charming family hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mondudu_No1
Reviewed 1 May 2012

My wife and two kids and I had a great stay here. Absolutely spectacular view of the Pitons from our room and balcony and breakfast table and all over the hotel. Very friendly service from Dora and Michael- they went out of their way to help us at every turn including getting fresh coconuts for breakfast one morning (just because they had heard our son liked coconuts), to packing us a great lunch to take on our fishing/snorkeling trip, to arranging the fishing/snorkeling trip. Room was clean and large. Not a fancy place, but bright and cheerful and comfortable. Do not hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank NYtraveler
Reviewed 22 April 2012

This review is written very much retrospectively but after looking at some of the reviews I think it prudent to place a few basic comments.
My partner and myself stayed for five nights at the Villa des Pitons in 2010 and thoroughly enjoyed our stay and came away with many happy memories. We were a little wary when we first arrived as there was no greeting, we were merely shown to our room and felt a little isolated, but we certainly need not have worried. As soon as we were introduced later to Dora and Michael we were made to feel totally at home. The food, the service, and the view was absolutely excellent.
I can only thoroughly recommend and would really hope to return one day.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bridge_u
Reviewed 22 April 2012

A friend and I stayed here for two nights in mid-April. We happened to be the only guests at the time. Our room was a suite located near the upper part of the hotel, overlooking the eating area and pool.

The view from our balcony was amazing. We could see the smaller Piton and had a view of the larger one in the distance. The room itself was nice -- a living room with two chairs and tv, a connecting bedroom, a large bathroom, and a kitchen.

Breakfast was included in the rate. There was a snafu with breakfast the first day, as the day before was a holiday and there weren't many choices available on the menu. The staff, however, was nice and worked to provide us a healthy start. The staff also helped get us in touch with a Piton Hiking Tour operator, who was able to pick us up and transport us to the Gros Piton for a nominal fee.

We had dinner the second evening we stayed at the hotel's restaurant. The fish we had was amazing, service was good, and the ambiance fantastic.

The one consideration to this location was that it was up a very large, steep hill from the town of Soufriere. We went down to the town the first night, and I definitely got a workout going back to the hotel. However, the view from the hotel of the town, bay area, and Pitons definitely made up for my lack of fitness.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Darin J
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Couldn't get better views than from this hotel. The service was outstanding, the owners & staff made us feel very welcome & got us anything we needed or wanted. There are a few small things that should be updated but nothing big enough to stop us from enjoying the charm of this place. Breakfast & lunch was good and supper was fantastic every night. It's close to all the attractions. We really enjoyed our stay here.

But if you're looking for a 5 star hotel, this is not the place for you.

Room Tip: Pay the extra to get a deluxe room with a view of the pitons.