“My new favorite casino in St. Maarten”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Philipsburg
Princess Port de Plaisance Resort and Casino
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This review is for the casino only (although I reviewed one of their restaurants separately). I suppose you could walk to this casino from Simpson Bay if you really wanted to, but it would really be a hike. But if you take the new bridge, it's only a five-minute drive from Simpson Bay. They have a really good 1-2 no-limit hold-em game, and generally get two tables going each night. Despite the low blinds, there's a lot of action in the game. Also free drinks and candy/chips for the players. On Sunday and Wednesday they have a dance routine on the stage in the casino, and other nights they have live music. They run a lot of promotions for players in the casino, giving away $200 and $300 the final night I was there (and a chance to win a car). I ended up

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank larryd6578
There are newer reviews for Princess Port de Plaisance Resort and Casino

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We stayed here for a while during our time in St Maarten. We are not timeshare owners but I know the management and so got a really great rate, so can't complain about the value. A great room, 1 bed apartment with 2 bathrooms and a full kitchen. The only problem with this hotel is there is no internet in the rooms, so annoying if you are a person who needs it, as walking up to the lobby was a pain and that internet connection wasn't great. You do get access to the country club with your stay, which is awesome, a really good gym, beautiful pool area and tennis courts. A big positive. The sushi restaurant, Pizza place and Peg Legs are all great restaurants for food and drinks and then there is always the casino. However it is out of the way, with the new causeway bridge it is a pleasant 30min walk to Simpson Bay. Would always recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nathan K
Reviewed 17 June 2013

The craps table is not open, they said they need 3 people to open the table and the bartender said he hadn't seen it open in months. (My thoughts are nobody is going to attempt to play if there's nobody manning the table.)

Free drinks if you're playing slots/tables.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We went to this resort twice during our stay in Simpson Bay. We were taken by complimentary shuttle to the resort from the Royal Palm Beach Club. We ate at Esco Pizzeria 2 nights in a row, & the food is excellent & reasonably priced for this expensive island. We had pizza (real wood burning oven), pasta & salad. The casino is very nice & alot of slots (starting at a penny & up) as well as alot of table games. There is entertainment (singer/piano player) at night & free drinks while you are playing.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank cespringhill
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Wife and I stayed in one of the suites facing Simpson Bay. The view was spectacular and interesting during breakfast (with our croissants from the front desk - WONDERFUL) and Cafe Britt coffee (from the grocery next door). Sunsets were AWESOME and equally as enjoyable with martini's and snacks.

Much of the section we were in was under renovation as was the pool and spa area but there was no impact on our visit.

When our flight got canceled on our checkout day due to the presence of a tropical storm the staff quickly provided support and a trip back to our room for another wonderful night (martini's/cheese/crackers/olives).

Proximity to Marigeaux and Philipsburg are plus', but you need to rent a car to take full advantage of the island. The Catholic mass in Marigeaux was a joy as various parts were said in French, English and Spanish.

Staff was very helpful and unlike some of the other comments, our transport from the room to the onsite restaurants or our car or car to room went without a hitch. Bellman named "Granville" was golden.

As it was the off season, the Peg Leg Bar and pizzaria were closed but the sushi and italian restaurants were open and the meals were excellent. The Italian restaurant was a little noisy as it was adjacent to the casino. The gounds were being groomed for the "busy season" and the plant selection was perfect. Some of the beds were still in the "prep" stage and barren, but the overall picture was excellent.

The comment on the "beach" being a joke is - well - pretty accurate as it is maybe 20 meters (60 ft) long so this is NOT where you go to "hit the beach." To do that - head to Orient Beach and find "Boo-Boo Jam." A little tricky to get to but well worth it and without a doubt the BEST Margarita's on the island (though the cherry on top threw me).

All of our kitchen appliances were functional and we had no problem asking for and receiving extra towels. A/C was SUPERB and a welcome aspect after a full day in the sun. The bathroom did have a minor faucet leak but that was repaired the first day.

All in all, we would definitely stay there and are considering purchasing a timeshare there. Will let you know how that goes Fall 2012.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that faces Simpson Bay - you won't be disappointed. :-)
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Myles R
Reviewed 25 May 2012

The hospitality is the 'selling' point for this hotel / resort. From the driver at the airport to the front desk staff to the housekeeping staff.... they all went out of their way to give a warm welcome. The hotel property is a little dated and is in need of a makeover, but having said that, it is clean, comfortable and very well priced. The swimming pool (although difficult to locate) is very tranquil and relaxing and the location in the Marina is very nice.
The casino was great, with polite and friendly staff and the latest slot machines and table games.
The Dolce Vita restaurant was excellent (especially the pasta dishes) and the Pirate Pete bar was also very entertaining.
If the resort was given a facelift, it would be an excellent place to stay on St Maarten.

Room Tip: "Inside' Marina rooms are probably a little quieter. There is some Airport noise in the out...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I very recently (March 2012) stayed at the Princess Port de Plaissance in St. Maarten, N.A. and was taken ill which had nothing to do with their resort. The staff, after normal operating hours, were able to contact a Doctor on my behalf and, locate a pharmacist who agreed to open the pharmacy after 9pm at night. The security and front desk then kindly proceeded to personally drive my husband to the pharmacy and make sure to wait for him and return him to the hotel with prescriptions for me. If they had not intervened on my behalf, I would have had to go to the hospital violently ill. Thankfully, their help enabled me to make my flight the very next day. Karen Hana personally contacted me that morning after she heard how sick I was to make sure that if there was anything else I needed it would be taken care of including an extension of my stay to recuperate. She has continued to stay in touch and at my request thank the pharmacist who went out of his way, the front desk and security guard who drove my husband and the doctor who responded late at night. Also, to bring up to date the renovation of the resort, much is being done. Work on several buildings is in progress and I am sure that in the very near future this resort will once again be on the top of the list for a wonderful stay in St. Maarten. By the way, this was our 10th trip to St. Maarten since 1985 and one of the main reasons we continue to return is exactly because of people like Karen and her staff and the way that they go all out to help in any manner they can. Our travels have taken us to many areas of the world and by far this is the most help and assistance we have ever experienced.

Room Tip: One and two bedroom suites are very spacious
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carol B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
Simpson Bay Resort & Marina
#2 of 8 in Grand Case
Horizon View Beach Hotel
Horizon View Beach Hotel
#7 of 12 in Philipsburg

Been to Princess Port de Plaisance Resort and Casino? Share your experiences!