Belair Beach Hotel
Sea Palace Resort(Philipsburg)
  • Breakfast included
  • Free Internet
View Hotel
All reviewssecond bedroomgingerbread caketoaster ovenstarlite car rentalmonday nightwine and cheese partysimpson bayliving roomolder hotelgrocery storesmall kitchenribstime sharethrough rciroom numberst maartenwatch the cruise ships
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 August 2008

I stayed at Belair with my family in early August and found it a great fit. It would be first on my list of places to stay were we to plan a return. I liked the location for several reasons. 1. It's right on the beach, 2. Little Bay is a great location, fairly sheltered, snorkeling right off the beach, fun to see the cruise ships leave. 3. It's not far from Philipsburg and the markets and activities there. 4. It's not far from the airport and the Simpson Bay based excursions. It was also a very comfortable place. Our unit had 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and a usable kitchen. We stocked up on groceries and saved time and money eating breakfast and a few dinners there. Security also seemed very good. There was a guard at the entrance gate, another on the beach side, and often another roaming around. It was also convenient to have the little store downstairs and Lorna the activities person was great. Tell her what you are interested in and she can direct you. We enjoyed every excursion she recommended. The onsite restaurant is also convenient. Rib night was excellent, great ribs and a large assortment of dishes to go with it. (Thanks to other reviewers for recommending this!) Other dishes were good to very good. It's a great fit for families (we have 2 kids) and others who enjoy quiet. Some of the fixtures are a bit dated, though the bathrooms were very nice. It's not the lap of luxury, but it's a very convenient, comfortable, well located place with helpful and generally friendly staff. A few other negatives: no sunsets as it faces south, not much people watching. Bottom line: I'd stay there again and recommend the same to others.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2008

We arrived at the Belair at 3:00 in afternoon . We were finally in a room at 5:00 .The staff were very unfriendly . My card to the room would not open the door. I went down 5 times and asked for the card to be replaced and the reply I received from the staff was don't put it next to your credit card. I politely explained to them each time that I had not put it next to my credit card which didn't seem to phase them.
The room had tile falling from the shower and it was old and musty.
The cafe had terrible food and the staff were unfriendly in the cafe.The overall demeanor of the staff was, why are you bothering us to wait on you.
The only friendly staff were the people who worked in Jodi"s store.
I would spend more money and stay at a nicer hotel. We ate at the Hotel Divi and the staff were friendly and pleasant.The pool area was lovely at the hotel Divi.
I would never recommend the Hotel Belair to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank Mareca
Reviewed 4 August 2008

We spent one week at the Belair Resort at Little Bay in St. Maarten. This was our first trip there and was, for the most part, very enjoyable. The resort is small with one of the best beaches that I have been on. There is an on-site restaurant, activities desk, laundry, pool, water sports, car rental, and convenience store.

All units are beach front. Our unit was a 2-bedroom apartment with a large terrace. The larger bedroom had a king-size bed, television, and the bathroom had two sinks and a tub. Water pressure was very good. The second bedroom was very small with no tv and had a bathroom/shower that also opened into the hallway. The windows of both bedrooms overlooked the parking lot.

The kitchen was small with no dishwasher, but it had a two-burner stove, nice refrigerator, and was kept very clean by the staff. Living room had a television, two sofas, coffee table, ceiling fan; dining area had a nice table and chairs to seat 4 and two stools for the counter. The air conditioning unit had some sort of card that fit into it once you selected the temperature. I had never seen anything like it, but it worked.

Had both breakfast and lunch in the Gingerbread Cafe and meals were very good. There is some type of theme dinner every night and the prices are reasonable.

Booked a massage through the Activity Desk. Tara is the masseuse affiliated with Belair, and she is excellent. However, it is very important to specify which type of massage you want. I was not asked by Lorna, the activities director, and she selected the massage for me. That was corrected when I met with Tara. You must pay Lorna for the massage when booking and it must be in cash. Since Tara doesn't bring towels or sheets with her, you will need to get three towels from the towel attendants from the beach. They are not happy to give them out.

Jody owns the convenience store at Belair, and it is small but well stocked. She also sells timeshares and is a photographer at Belair.

Miami Herald was delivered every day. Television has about 9 channels, but on the week we were there, three of the channels were constantly advertising for Dish TV so we rarely saw shows on those three channels. Also, the remote in the living room never worked and while the front desk promised to correct the problem, they never did.

The beach was wonderful. There are enough chairs and umbrellas for everyone, and there are free floats and noodles for guests to use. I don't know if they enforce it, but the Belair policy is that all beach towels must be turned in by 5:30 pm. or there is a $15 per towel charge. I never saw anyone in the pool, but it was clean.

It takes about 15 miinutes to walk into town and if you walk through the Divi, there is sidewalk all the way. You will find timeshare and vacation club personnel out on the walk, so my advice is just to keep on walking and don't accept anything from them. If you do, you are in for several hours of presentations. Fort Amsterdam is on the Divi property. Be very careful if walking up to the fort.

In all, we enjoyed our stay at the Belair. It needs some updating, but it is clean and safe. Most of the people who I met there have been going there for many years and consider it a second home. I found the inside staff very good--not so much for the beach attendants. However, we went for the beach and were not disappointed. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SXMChick
Reviewed 13 July 2008

Just got back from spending 5 wonderful days at the Belair. Most people stay the week but I wanted to use my Jet Blue passes. The hotel is directly on the beach with every room having an Ocean View. Gated security made me feel extremely safe. Like others have posted this is not an upper end Luxury resort but a home away from home. Place is immaculate and some of the rooms are being renovated. Many of the staff at the hotel have been there for more than 10 years. Every employee greeted us and smiled. Plenty of room to store your clothes with many drawers and closets. Kitchen is basic with large fridge, 2 burner cook top, toaster oven and microwave. Lots of utensils, pans and storage containers. Pool is on the smaller side but kids were having a great time in it. Gingerbread Cafe is very reasonable and we ate there 3 nights for dinner. Monday BBQ night was only 17 a person for adults and I think 10 for kids. Ribs were delicious and home made potato salad was awesome. Make sure to make reservations for it. I liked the staff and the Cafe as well. Lobster was great on another night costing approximately 30 dollars or so. Only had one breakfast there and it was 6.50 for 2 eggs, bacon, sausage and toast. Washers and dryers(2 for the entire place located on the 4th floor for a charge of 2.50 for washer and the same for dryer with soap 1.50 charge tokens available at the desk) Did a load before I left and make sure that you go in the morning early if you don't want to wait.

Cabs are very expensive and regulated by the government. The set price from the airport to the hotel was 15 dollars for 2 people and increases for each additonal person. Very reasonable. We paid 8 dollars each way to get into Phillipsburg. Nice shopping on the boardwalk and ate at the Green Lantern for an appetizer and Happy hour. New restaurant Fusion was very good and staff and owner were very friendly.

Took a cab to Marigot and took the Ferry over to Anguilla. Ferry costs 40 round trip per person including taxes. Make sure to bring a passport. Cab fare to Shoal Bay was a whopping 22 each way for 2 people. Anguilla is breathtaking. We rented 2 chairs and an umbrella for 10 dollars and ate at Elodias for lunch. Staff really nice, food okay. Lunch was 10 for a hamburger and fries. Look for the yellow umbrellas on the end. Make sure that you look at the return ferry schedule. Water a bit choppy and not for the queasy. Used an Internet Cafe right across from the Ferry in Marigot for 2 dollars for 15 minutes of internet access.

Rented a phone from the Queen of St Maarten located in the Palm Resort right on the way from the airport. You can easily have the cab driver stop there and run into pick up the phone. I spent a lot 80 for the week but it really beats paying for the calls from the room. They drop off the phone to your hotel for an additonal 5 dollar charge. Very happy with them

Dined out for dinner only twice off the property. Went to Simpson Bay to The Boat House for Lobster Special of $36 dollars for a delicious broiled lobster with salad and fries. Staff was really great and service during slow season was quick. Cab fare is 12 dollars for 2 each way. Check with Lorna at the activities desk and she will give you a ten percent off coupon. Fusion right in Phillipsburg was reasonable with most entrees $28 dollars on average each.

Lorna from the activities desk has lived in St Maarten a long time. Many enjoyed the Garfield for a snorkel tour that they said was very reasonable and awesome.

I recommend using Roy for cabs as the hotel desk will get a hold of him and he is extremely professional, reliable and will be there as promised. We used him to go back to the airport and he was even early waiting for us. We would go to dinner and he would returned as promised at a given time.

To sum it up this place is worth going back to. Certainly not upscale but served our needs well.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SuzanneSR
Reviewed 10 July 2008

It was with great surprise that I read the previous review which recommended the Belair Beach Hotel. We are RCI timeshare owners and have been using their resorts with great success for almost 20 years. Until this one. We exchanged our RCI timeshare for 2 rooms in the last week of June, and ranged in age from 2-58 years old as this was a family reunion. We expected the older rooms thanks to the Tripadvisor's reviews and they were clean and comfortable. What we didn't expect were the extremely bad attitudes of most of the staff there.

I have 2 children aged 6years and 20 months. The 20 month old baby enjoyed showering on the beach. She was shouted at daily by the beach attendents (yes, really) for using the shower and "putting sand into it" (did I mention that this shower was ON the beach?). We laughed it off the first couple of days, and later reported it to management, who "understood their staff's point of view" and did not apologize for the inappropriate treatment of my kids!

One day, after we'd been at the beach for hours and our towels were soaked, I asked for fresh towels for the pool. What a mistake. I was informed that if we took additonal towels there wouldn't be enough towels for the next day, and guests were limited to a single towel per day. When I asked why the staff couldn't wash the towels in one of the (always empty) laundromats that are in the hotel, I was told that the staff are too busy. Indeed, the very busy beach attendants spent all day sleeping on the beach loungers (when they weren't shouting at my children). Again, Kelvin, the manager, supported his staff and asked "what our problem was" whilst shouting at my dad and sister.

The food at the Gingerbread cafe was average on good days and we had bad meat hotdogs being served to the children on bad ones. The waitresses threw the food down infront of us, and it was an effort to get cutlery.

The place's saving grace is it's beautiful location. The beach and ocean are beautiful with great snorkelling. We had a good vacation in spite of the Belair's Bad Attitude Staff.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank CaSarel123
karen_dick, owner at Belair Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2008

We are owners of one week at Bel Air Beach Hotel. This last June was our third trip there. My husband & I have been alone once, with an adult friend once, and in June we took our daughter and 3 grandchildren, ages 8, 6, 4. We have always found the staff friendly and hospitable. We have never encountered anything like the attitudes you reported. The Gingerbread Cafe people are lovely, and the head bartender remembered us this year. The manager of the cafe is wonderful too. Everyone very gracious. The beach attendants are a little laid back, but is is the Caribbean! Slow down and enjoy.
Dick & Karen Anderson