“Our first choice”
Review of Belair Beach Hotel

Belair Beach Hotel
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We have been coming to the Belair for the past 15 or so years. We will be arriving next Saturday for 3 weeks and can hardly wait!
We have another timeshare at another property on the island and always trade it out for additional
week here. The other is very updated but doesn't have the ambiance that the Belair does.
If you are looking for modern, upscale, then look somewhere else. The Belair is laid back, quiet, and most of all very friendly. To us that is one of the most important things. We have a first floor unit and every morning when we get up and go out to patio to eat breakfast, there are always fresh cut flowers on our table! The maid service is exceptional! You couldn't ask for more thorough or friendly staff. I love the idea that you have your own beach chairs and umbrella during your stay. Town is within walking distance if you are able body, if not, just a short car ride.
Again, can't wait until we are there next week

Room Tip: first floor for quick and easy access to the beach, top floor for scenic photos
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Pamela T

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Just returned home from a week in Hell at Belair Beach Hotel. After spending the previous week at our far superior timeshare at Divi Little Bay, our party of four had the misfortune of spending a week in a sub standard 2 bedroom suite at this dive. From the moment we arrived we were faced with problems. From the rude front desk staff, multiple key cards that didn't work, to the antiquated 80's style kitchen, it was not a pleasant experience. Here are a few of the major flaws with the resort. Smelly, damp musty room. No bathroom fan. The phone didn't work. Loose railing on deck (2nd floor). Exposed electrical wiring at outlets in bedrooms. 20" CRT TV in master bedroom with no cable feed and no TV in 2nd tiny bedroom. There was a flat screen TV in the sitting area. Uncomfortable wicker furniture. 1 very uncomfortable double bed. King bed in master bedroom was somewhat better. Discovered water dripping from ceiling and was told that we could not turn off the air conditioning or the water leak would return! The kitchen had a 2 burner hot plate, toaster oven and small microwave. One saving grace was the icemaker built into the fridge. Now for the scary part....we had a very expensive watch stolen by a member by of the cleaning staff while we were at the beach. Police were called and a report taken. General manager searched the room and found nothing. Said he would get back to us later. He left a voicemail message essentially saying "Too bad so sad". Bottom Line...USE THE SAFE PROVIDED IN YOUR ROOM!!!. It's there to protect you from the staff. We returned to Divi Little Bay to a 1 Bedroom suite that blew us away. 2 bathrooms, in suite whirlpool and laundry, 2 balconies and a luxurious king size bed. Belair Beach Hotel better do some renovating ASAP to keep up with the other resorts. I have no idea why anyone would buy a time share at this resort. We will NEVER return!!

Room Tip: Try and get a room next door at Divi Little Bay. Seriously!
9  Thank Scott S
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is our first time in St. Maarten (other than a short stop on a cruise) but we loved this place. We got it thru a timeshare exchange. It is an older property but we thought it was clean, clean, clean. There was good thorough maid service twice in the week and trash was emptied every day.

The resort was right on the beach (which I understand some resorts are not). The location is just "over the hill" from Philipsburg and "two rotaries" away from Simpson Bay. Every unit has a balcony overlooking the beach. Watch the cruise ships come and go! They reserve your beach chairs and umbrella for the week (they do say sometimes beach conditions don't allow this). The beach itself was sandy and clean.

The Gingerbread Cafe on the premises has really good food, but the ambiance is so-so. (My husband loved the tenderloin steak so much he had it a second time and said it was among the best steaks he had ever had... and he eats steak a lot.) This hotel shares a beach with the Divi Little Bay. A VERY short walk on the "boardwalk" gets you to the Divi outside bar which serves decent food and pizza and has nightly entertainment. (The Gingerbread Cafe food is better, but the Divi is more fun...)

A word about the tiny second bedroom. It is small. It has a double bed pushed up against the wall. HOWEVER, there is a queen size sofa bed in the living room. The second bedroom has a separate door to the hall bathroom. Both bathrooms were adequate and clean. All in all, two couples could make a go of it with some accommodation.... since it was just the two of us, it really didn't affect us.

We rented a car from Starlite Rental which is right at this hotel. They pick you up at the airport and take you back as well. We really didn't do much driving... once around the island, down to Philipsburg, around the Simpson Bay area, and to the grocery store a couple of times. (Grand March, I think the name was, grocery was nearby and far better than grocery stores we have experienced on other islands.)

All in all, a great trip.

Room Tip: The first floor rooms open directly onto a private patio and have direct access to beach. Convenien...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank GoWithTheFlow1203
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We're enjoying our 7th year at BelAir - every year has been better and better. Thanks! The staff is great, the location is perfect and we enjoy exploring the island. Next year will be our 8th year and were excited about coming back.

3  Thank TravelerJ1832CR
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I just returned from a six day stay and am dreaming about going back. The resort has an amazing view a beautiful beach steps away from the lobby. This is not the Ritz Carlton but I am not there for the room. There are no granite counter tops or dish washer or washer dryer in the room. The room is however clean and I did not see any "roaches"as a previous reviewer wrote. I did see two or three ants but this was my fault for not cleaning thoroughly the counter. I went down with two friends and there was ample room. I took a turn one night and slept on the sofa bed. Not the most comfortable but what sofa bed really is? I managed to sleep without issue. The staff are all friendly when you say hello and give them respect. Each and every staff member that I encountered said hello to me. Beulah, Katherine, Tracy, Pauline and the rest of the staff smiled and said greeted me every time that I passed them. Vincent is excellent at the beach getting you anything that you need with chairs, towels and umbrellas. I must chuckle as a guest falsely accused my friend of stealing her chair. Our house keeper Patsy kept our room clean and could not have been more helpful. The head of housekeeping stopped me at the desk and asked me if my room was okay and did I need anything. I had plenty of cups, toilet tissue etc in the bathroom under the sink in the large bedroom.. My room was kept extremely clean the entire week. I was also asked if I wanted my sheets changed. I always leave the girls some money as being on vacation it is part of vacation to tip staff for a job well done. The pool is small but is seriously adequate unless you are an Olympic swimmer and plan on doing laps. I used it daily and my friends and I were comfortable, we often brought a glass of wine down and sat in the low end. Children are not allowed to run amok or jump continuously in the pool. The Ginger Bread Cafe had a wonderful BBQ on Monday that was $20 dollars and was unlimited delicious ribs, home made potato salad, desserts, and salad, bread etc. Steel band was an awesome touch. The internet did have issues while I was there. It seems to be island wide not just a Belair issue. I had intermittent service but managed to check my e-mail daily. I rented a phone from the Queen of St. Maarten Sharon. The cost was $20 dollars plus minutes for the week, five dollars for 15 minutes and a $5 dollar drop off fee. We used Roy and Maria for cabs all week (520-7407) and they were on time and extremely professional. They are a husband and wife team that are available day and night. We felt safe with them and they were prompt and their vehicle was clean. We took an island tour with Maria to get an over view of the island. Desk staff was helpful, courteous and helped me with every request that I had. We took a day trip to Anguilla which was awesome. The cost was about $100 dollars for cabs, ferries, port charges and a alcohol free light lunch. Beach at Shoal Bay was beautiful. Cab ride for 2 people was $20 dollars to the airport. The Belair reminds me of a beach cottage, not fancy but it works well for me. I can't wait to go back!!!!

Room Tip: Top floors great views, lower floor each beach access.
9  Thank SuzanneSR
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I have stayed here twice now and there is a lot I like about this resort. The rooms have amazing views. They are clean and kitchen well stocked with the things you might need to cook breakfast and lunch. The beach is small compared to Divi next door but you can swim at either beach. They do assign you beach chairs for the time you are there and I like it and don't like it at the same time. The cafe is just okay I prefer the bar at Divi. Overall staff is friendly and warm, the place is clean and everything worked. In fact twice during our stay a woman stopped by and made sure that all was satisfactory. I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Sacredjrny
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The views from the third floor of this resort were from a dream. The beach at this resort was also perfect. However, the positives stopped there.

Went to grocery store, spent a couple of hundred US dollars on food. Checked into room, freezer not working. Called front desk and they sent up maintenance. Maintenance turned down thermostat in refrig. (Refrig was working fine so don't know why he would have adjusted that thermostat and freezer had its own thermostat which was already turned down to its lowest setting, so maintenance obviously did not know what he was doing.) Next day, called front desk again and complained once again that freezer was not working. Sent maintenance person up again and he changed out ice maker. I told him that would not fix the problem as the freezer was not cold enough to freeze the ice and he acted like I was a stupid female and proceeded with changing the ice maker. I called the front desk again the next day and they sent up 2 maintenance people this time. Neither knew what was wrong/ how to fix it, so just left with my freezer not working. The third day, I called the front desk again and they sent up a maintenance person who decided he could not fix the problem but would give me a refrig from an unoccupied room. Finally, I got a freezer that worked three days after check-in.

The entire time I was dealing with the freezer, I only had one burner that was working on the stove, but wanted to make sure the freezer was working before I even mentioned the stove. Next day, my children complained that they could not sleep because the toilet was running all night and self flushing. Again, I called maintenance. Maintenance man came and after looking at the toilet, said he would fix it after we moved out. At that point, I realized that maintenance doesn't fix problems, they just hope the next guest checking in doesn't complain. I never mentioned that only one burner on the stove was working, the kitchen sink was leaking which ruined my $85 eel skin purse that was hidden underneath the sink cabinet, the A/C duct work was leaking and water was constantly dripping into the hallway and from the mold on the floor at that same point, it was obvious that this leak had been going on for months. Managers comments back to anyone that writes a negative review about this hotel is always," Did you let the front desk know". Well I let the front desk know and nothing got fixed. After a while, you don't want to waste anymore of your weeks vacation waiting for maintenance to arrive, so you just do with the break.

Paid $35 extra for internet for our week's stay and it worked for only a couple of minutes per day.

Lady with dyed yellow hair at reception desk was rude and never even smiled. All other receptionists seemed very nice.

Manager has Reserved Parking at the best parking space on the lot, lets you know what he thinks of himself compared to his customers. Manager also yelled and continued to yell at one of his employees right in the lobby in front of me and other guests, making me feel horrible for her and leaving the employee teary eyed. She kept telling him that she did what she did because it was not getting fixed and he continued to yell at her right in the lobby. (I hope she was not getting yelled at for sending maintenance up late at night - extra charge?- to fix my freezer.)

The swimming pool is a joke along with the wine and cheese reception, but a small point. Do not expect to get any sleep on the sofa bed, but again perhaps a small point.

Microwave worked well and only saw one roach.

No oven or dishwasher in unit, clothes washer and dryer are $2.50 each and you have to wait your turn as employees use as well.

Even with all of these negatives, realize that the resort and the views from your room are absolutely beautiful. The maintenance staff and manager just need to be replaced to make this a class A resort.

Room Tip: First floor would be nice for walk out to beach convenience or top floor for the views.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank res1031
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
#2 of 12 in Philipsburg
Horizon View Beach Hotel
Horizon View Beach Hotel
#8 of 12 in Philipsburg

Been to Belair Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!