Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“2 star property / service, 4 star view / location”
Review of Belair Beach Hotel

Belair Beach Hotel
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The property and our experience with the staff and amenities was very subpar. Maybe 30 years ago this place was a higher quality resort, but definitely not now. It is in desperate need of remodeling, renovation and modernization. The pool is possibly the worst I've seen at any resort or hotel in recent memory. Basically it was an oversized bath tub that is at or over capacity with 4 or more adults people in it. The second bedroom in the room was significantly inadequate for an adult couple. It was very small and the DOUBLE bed was pushed against the wall just too have enough room to walk around. Maybe kids could make the second bedroom work for a week, but for two young adults it did not suffice. We had NO HOT WATER for an entire day one day. There is only one dining option on property and it has terrible service (SLOW), is over priced and below average quality. No onsite workout facilities. The "tennis court" had no net, was in poor condition and weeds approx. 3 feet tall growing up in the court. The positives were the Monday BBQ (the food and music were actually pretty good) and the location / view. However, we found ourselves spending 80% percent of our time at the truly 5 star property next door operated by Divi ... which had modern facilities, multiple onsite dining options, multiple pools, workout facilities, and activities. So, if you like the excellent location / view (which we did), I'd recommend staying at Divi next door. I'm definitely not a return / repeat customer of the Belair Beach Hotel.

Room Tip: The second bedroom is challenging and not spacious for an adult couple. If you are looking for a 4...
4  Thank ATLDiamondG
There are newer reviews for Belair Beach Hotel

Reviewed 29 July 2014

This place is more than just dated. Their attitude fits this place. I am not sure how RCI could possibly come up with a silver crown rating for this place. Their check-out is absolutely ridiculous. You have wait in a long line to give them back the key to their dated safe along with the remote controls to their TV. Do they have a high theft rate of remotes?? We spent as much time away from this place as possible, the DIVI resort next door is a classic example of how you properly manage your property. I absolutely wasted my exchange by exchanging into this place. However, if all you care about is being at a nice beach this is your place. If you have been an RCI member for a while and know what it’s like to exchange into a well maintained resort you will know this was not worth your exchange. The five star reviews I have seen on here are interesting considering true quality resorts offered through RCI, trust me, this place does not deserve a five star rating.

If you have no place to stay and are stranded, you may just want to stay in your car and feel just as comfortable. Trust me, don't come here and for all those who are claiming to be in paradise heaven when they stayed should have visited DIVI next door to see a real resort.

4  Thank CDW3040
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The Belair is by far the best place I have ever vacationed. The facilities were wonderful. The beach was awesome. We went to every beach on the island and from now on I'll just stay with this one...not other beach is needed. I echo everything Jeff from Phoenix said, and add that the staff went out of their way to find our church for us and take us there. I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: I feel that you can't really go wrong. Love this place.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jennifer V
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My family and I just got back from one week in St Maarten at the Belair Beach Hotel. We had two boys 10 and 12, in addition to my wife and me. I have to say it exceeded all my expectations. I nice 2 bedroom unit with an unbelievable balcony with a fantastic view of the beach. This beach in Little Bay has some of the best snorkeling on the island. We went every day and saw a great variety of fish. The staff was very friendly and nice, the store has the basics you need to make your own breakfast or lunch, and the Gingerbread café had good food and drinks. I can't see how anyone could complain about this place at all. If you're coming to St Maarten, you're coming from the beach, and the Belair has an optimal beach location. You get pre-assigned chairs with umbrellas, which is very nice. We can afford to stay anywhere we want, and this place had everything we needed to have a great time. The Starlite rental car facility right on site was very convenient, and they were very helpful. They even drove us to the airport at 6:00 am to catch our flight. I'd highly recommend this place if you're looking to go to St Maarten and enjoy spending time on the beach.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Jeff G
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Just returned from a week in St Maarten where we traded our time share for the Belair Beach Hotel. The reviews were mixed when we looked on TripAdvisor and I have to say we side with those who didn't find this a location that we would recommend. The site wasn't well kept, it looked like very little was being done to keep any reasonable standard for the location. It said it was an RCI Silver resort at reception, if that is the case then I really question the criteria that RCI use for the resorts that they have in their data base.
The people at the resort weren't particularly helpful, almost seemed like they didn't want to be there. A huge change from others that we met in restaurants, shops etc. who were are very helpful.
The location didn't stop us having a good time in St Maarten. When we return it certainly wont be to the Belair

Room Tip: Find another location, maybe the Divi Little Bay which is next door!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gordon P
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My wife and I just returned from a weeks exchange with RCI. We had a room on the third floor, and right on the end looking down at the pool and Gingerbread Café. As we spent most of our time outside, and on our balcony we were able to enjoy all of what was going on down below. Our problem was that we couldn't seem to stay up past 9 PM. We were never annoyed with any of the noise or related activities going on below our unit. Access to the beach is awesome. We took our spot every day by the jetty on the right hand side. We rented a car, but couldn't seem to want to leave our beautiful, secluded strand of beach. Wave action was great almost everyday. The water was crystal clear, even at depths of 20-30 feet or more. People were snorkeling on both jetty's and waves were crashing almost constantly. Having the Gingerbread Café on site is also a bonus. We rented a car with Starlite Car Rentals, which was a good idea as they always had representatives available to solve ay problems that may have come up during our stay. Tip for those who want to purchase groceries, we found the closest grocery store to be the Econo Food market. Not the huge selections and choices that we have here in the states, but basics and pretty good prices. Overall, with the resort being an older one, our stay was excellent. Everything worked, and was well maintained. My only complaint would be that they consider putting sliding screens on the door to the balconies. It would have been nice to fall asleep to the sound of crashing waves instead of the drone of the A/C unit.

Room Tip: We were happy with a room on 3/4th floor, and close to the stairwells. We preferred to use the stair...
4  Thank Xeuropn
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We truly enjoyed our stay at the Belair Beach Hotel. We communicated with the staff in advance of our trip to find out what was stocked in the the room and they answered us promptly so that we could come prepared. We also took advantage of Starlite car rental which is located at the hotel. They not only met us at the airport with our vehicle, but also offered a driver to bring us to the hotel free of charge since we did not know our way. Though the rooms may be a bit dated, they are very clean with the basic amenities to meet our needs for the week. You can head down to the grocery store to buy anything else you need. You really are coming here for the beach. Little Bay is absolutely gorgeous! There are only 2 hotels in this bay and Belair is one of them. We absolutely loved that we had designated chairs for our week's stay, floaties and beach toys available for the kids by the pool area, beach towels are provided as well. We ate at the Gingerbread Cafe several times and enjoyed their BBQ night. I have to commend the staff as they treat you like family. I got a very bad sunburn my first day there and they provided me with fresh Aloe leaf cut from their gardens to treat my sunburn. The hotel is close to everything provided you have a car, which I would highly recommend renting so that you can explore the 30+ other beaches on the island. The highlight of your stay here would be their piece of Little Bay which is the best beach we visited outside of Le Galion (#1 for the kids). We would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank EmyLou R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Princess Heights Hotel
Princess Heights Hotel
#2 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Been to Belair Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!