“Nice Resort in a great location”
Review of Belair Beach Hotel

Belair Beach Hotel
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Bedford, Virginia
“Nice Resort in a great location”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Nice resort with a beautiful beach. Also has a very good restaurant right on the property - good breakfast, lunch and dinner, plus a good bar. One thing we really liked about the resort - you got to reserve your beach chairs and umbrella for the whole week. Resort is easy to get to from the airport and a good central location for exploring the island. Starlite Car Rental is right on the property and provided excellent service.

Room Tip: ALL rooms are beach front!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I agree with JonH, ATLDiamondG & CDW3040... unless you want to stay in a resort/room that resembles a 20-year old Motel-6, DO NOT waste your RCI Exchange...this venue doesn't even come close to my Orlando, Vacation Village home resort. However, the Divi Little Bay resort next door is comparable...everything the Belair is NOT...stay their and enjoy the same lovely beach. Beach is 5-star, see attached "real thing" pictures.

As our taxi drove us up to the Belair...my party's jaws dropped and hit the floor when we arrived in July !!! I have to fault RCI for not "secret shopping" their properties to ensure that what they allow to be advertised and offer as a 1-for-1 exchange has equal value...Belair definitely DOES NOT come up to par with the top-rated resort I exchanged to be their in July. As an mark of comparison, in one hour at their pool, we saw six Divi representatives giving a tour to potential buyers. The Belair is so "beat" that in seven days, we didn't see a single tour being given to potential buyers...and the RCI Representative is positively worthless and didn't even want to discuss our dissatisfaction when we addressed this with him.

Other than a 3rd World Country, we have never seen a WORST first impression as the Belair Beach Hotel. The RCI and other web pictures must be 5+ years old...before the mold running down the outside of the building took over. By contrast, the Divi is less old, and yet has invested into remodeling their guest entrance that was in progress in July when we visited...the Belair hasn't seen a major renovation in the past 20-years. Any positive review has to come from the OWNERS...who want to keep a high RCI, etc. rating, yet have NOT invested into the maintenance and necessary upkeep to keep the Belair on a par with expected 4-5 star resort they advertise like the neighboring Divi. Examples of the dated and lack of upkeep to keep the resort current is: The bath tub/pool, GingerBread Café [no air, no TV, no room, no service, etc.], and the closed down tennis court across the road...all examples of the owners lack of desire to invest into keeping this resort more than a 2-star dive or Motel-6 [which I've seen with larger pools]..

Seeing Belair folks on the beach, and later enjoying the Divi resort venues was like witnessing a migration during the day and evening. The Belair maid service was excellent. However, they are the ONLY active workers on property. At the Divi, you see workers actively engaged and productive at their tasks. The Belair just be a "family affair" because we never saw so many employees on payroll laying around, and doing nothing.

As an example of the pretentiousness of this resort...the Internet Connection fees were ridiculous, only 1-of-2 Internet PCs were available, and they wanted to charge a $10 per bottle corking fee...Belair suffers from a 20-year old delusion of grandeur and a undeserved 4-star rating.

Save your Belair RCI Exchange and visit the Divi if you want a comparable exchange and the same Little Bay Beach experience...with all the amenities you would expect from your exchange. If I was knowing I was exchanging a 4-5 star rate for a 2-star venue, then maybe I would take the downgrade and stay for two weeks. BUT, beware, the Belair pictures on the internet are very dated, and DO NOT show the property as we saw it in July-2014.

Room Tip: Stay at the Divi...Belair rooms are like a 20-year old Motel-6 and the second room is NOT adult frie...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank William G
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

The Good:
• Best beach on the island. Period.
• You can use the amenities (restaurants, pool, shops) of the Divi Resort next door.
• Philipsburg shopping is in the next bay over but you still feel secluded in Little Bay
• Watch all the cruise ships come and go!

The Bad:
• Bel Air is severely dated.
• Rooms equipped with blinding white LED lights in all fixtures.
• Rooms are tiny-- cramped for a family of 5.
• Pool is slightly larger than my bathtub at home.

The Skinny:
Little Bay is the prettiest view on the island--bar none-- and the Bel Air Beach Hotel has prime real estate on a secluded bay next to the best shopping on the island. The hotel is, however, severely dated. Peeling paint, and cramped quarters means you wouldn't want to spend much time in the facilities themselves.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Jon H
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The property and our experience with the staff and amenities was very subpar. Maybe 30 years ago this place was a higher quality resort, but definitely not now. It is in desperate need of remodeling, renovation and modernization. The pool is possibly the worst I've seen at any resort or hotel in recent memory. Basically it was an oversized bath tub that is at or over capacity with 4 or more adults people in it. The second bedroom in the room was significantly inadequate for an adult couple. It was very small and the DOUBLE bed was pushed against the wall just too have enough room to walk around. Maybe kids could make the second bedroom work for a week, but for two young adults it did not suffice. We had NO HOT WATER for an entire day one day. There is only one dining option on property and it has terrible service (SLOW), is over priced and below average quality. No onsite workout facilities. The "tennis court" had no net, was in poor condition and weeds approx. 3 feet tall growing up in the court. The positives were the Monday BBQ (the food and music were actually pretty good) and the location / view. However, we found ourselves spending 80% percent of our time at the truly 5 star property next door operated by Divi ... which had modern facilities, multiple onsite dining options, multiple pools, workout facilities, and activities. So, if you like the excellent location / view (which we did), I'd recommend staying at Divi next door. I'm definitely not a return / repeat customer of the Belair Beach Hotel.

Room Tip: The second bedroom is challenging and not spacious for an adult couple. If you are looking for a 4...
4 Thank ATLDiamondG
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This place is more than just dated. Their attitude fits this place. I am not sure how RCI could possibly come up with a silver crown rating for this place. Their check-out is absolutely ridiculous. You have wait in a long line to give them back the key to their dated safe along with the remote controls to their TV. Do they have a high theft rate of remotes?? We spent as much time away from this place as possible, the DIVI resort next door is a classic example of how you properly manage your property. I absolutely wasted my exchange by exchanging into this place. However, if all you care about is being at a nice beach this is your place. If you have been an RCI member for a while and know what it’s like to exchange into a well maintained resort you will know this was not worth your exchange. The five star reviews I have seen on here are interesting considering true quality resorts offered through RCI, trust me, this place does not deserve a five star rating.

If you have no place to stay and are stranded, you may just want to stay in your car and feel just as comfortable. Trust me, don't come here and for all those who are claiming to be in paradise heaven when they stayed should have visited DIVI next door to see a real resort.

4 Thank CDW3040
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The Belair is by far the best place I have ever vacationed. The facilities were wonderful. The beach was awesome. We went to every beach on the island and from now on I'll just stay with this one...not other beach is needed. I echo everything Jeff from Phoenix said, and add that the staff went out of their way to find our church for us and take us there. I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: I feel that you can't really go wrong. Love this place.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jennifer V
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My family and I just got back from one week in St Maarten at the Belair Beach Hotel. We had two boys 10 and 12, in addition to my wife and me. I have to say it exceeded all my expectations. I nice 2 bedroom unit with an unbelievable balcony with a fantastic view of the beach. This beach in Little Bay has some of the best snorkeling on the island. We went every day and saw a great variety of fish. The staff was very friendly and nice, the store has the basics you need to make your own breakfast or lunch, and the Gingerbread café had good food and drinks. I can't see how anyone could complain about this place at all. If you're coming to St Maarten, you're coming from the beach, and the Belair has an optimal beach location. You get pre-assigned chairs with umbrellas, which is very nice. We can afford to stay anywhere we want, and this place had everything we needed to have a great time. The Starlite rental car facility right on site was very convenient, and they were very helpful. They even drove us to the airport at 6:00 am to catch our flight. I'd highly recommend this place if you're looking to go to St Maarten and enjoy spending time on the beach.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Jeff G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
Holland House Beach Hotel
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
#3 of 8 in Oyster Pond
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,187 reviews

Been to Belair Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!