All reviews second bedroom gingerbread cake toaster oven starlite car rental bel air monday night simpson bay older hotel small pool living room onsite restaurant large balcony grocery store time share mini mart room number sliding glass
Reviewed 23 June 2010

The crystal waters and powdery white sugar sand is the same as 22 yrs ago when I swam in front of this hotel during a cruise stop and vowed I would come back as the beach was soo lovely with no rough waves or drop offs and you float like a dream due to the saltiness of the sea. Divi Beach Hotel is a short walk via the beach and very good snorkeling off their shoreline rocks.

Belaire is an older hotel, obviously ,but I was pleasantly surprised to find our unit (4th floor overlooking the pool) totally updated with tile baths, vanities, hairdryer in main bath...other had a huge walkin tile shower. All units are 2 bedrm, 2 bath and face the Sea!!!! The liv rm dining area offered a round glass table which easily sat 4-6 and two REALLY comfy wicker couches with end tables etc in full view of the TV. ( Mstr had one also) The second bedrm is VERY small but good closet space and a small bureau (oversized twin bed) and a CD player! Kitchen area is very small , open to the dining area with views and a Large normal size refrig with ICE Maker and ample appliances including microwave. No oven except for oversized toaster oven which was fine. I am saving the Best part about the unit for last....Liv rm/dining area balcony with tile floors was huge (about 22' long) and floor to ceiling glass and sliders which afforded breathtaking views of the beach . Ps: the entire unit had air conditioning...not just the bedrms. I should have asked if all the units have been renovated as I want to return ( I exchanged thru RCI but one cannot get room designation until check in)

Beach chairs are assigned so no need to hog your lounges at 6AM!! NICE!. Towels available daily on the beach. The small on site restaurant, the Gingerbread Cafe was surpisingly very good but operated on "Island Time" for service speed LOL and had happy hr each day late afternoon. Mondays is BBQ rib buffet night ...best ribs I have had in years..$18 pp + tax etc which you can charge to your room. Very generous portions of ribs. This is after the managers welcome cocktail party offering several selections of wine , soda and excellent cold horsdoeuvres along with a steel band playing poolside for 3 hrs! Great evening and good value! I beleive the buffet is open to public with reservations....would DEFINITELY DO AGAIN, Singer and dancing on Friday was very enjoyable. Take the island tour with Happy Harold....10-3......$25!
If you are looking for a "hot nightlife spot" this is NOT it, however Phillipsburg is only about 15 min away and has many restaurants, casino & bars with music.My favorite restaurant being Chesterfields which is on the waterfront Marina. Also the Greenhouse & Pineapple Petes. If you can rent a car do so as the cabs are very expensive...$8 each way to Philipsburg. ($18 to airport)
Belair is a truly relaxing atmosphere with breathtaking views and I cant wait to return!

Date of stay: May 2010
Reviewed 20 May 2010

The beach at the Belair is divine and clean. The water is breathtaking the Seas so salty that you just float. I cant say enough about the beach quality. The Belair Beach Hotel is also nice. I was disappointed that the elevator still has not been fixed and thus making the walk to the room much longer. I was also disappointed that the bed was so uncomfortable. It was as if they had just simply purchased a cheap mattress to put in there to have one in place. Horrible sleep accommodations !! The rooms were very clean and well appointed however the electrical outlets were few and far between. The wiring dangerous, having a hot wired appliance present in the suite.
I liked the staff and found them to be friendly and accommodating. The Ginger Bread Restaurant was poorly staffed and the food just so so especially breakfast. Happy hour is available upon request. 2 for 1.
We took a tour of the Island that was arranged by Lorna the activities director and was disappointed that the tour accentuated the poorer sections of the island rather than useful information about the area. If I were going to go back I would stay close or at the Simpson Beach area because of the great abundance of activities and places to eat.
Shopping on Front St is gracious and pleasant. Jewelers willing to bargain everywhere!! People were friendly and nice.

Date of stay: May 2010
Reviewed 29 March 2010

Just got back from a week at the at the Belair Beach Hotel. This place needs a serious update. The unit smells of mildew and smoke. When was the last time you went to a hotel and they provided eight ash trays and matches in the room . It's as if they are promoting smoking. The unit was not clean. We found a piece of broken glass on the bedroom floor. The drapes and bedspread smell and need to be place in the trash. The paint on the bathroom ceiling is peeling. Old old old. The only good thing is the location to the beach. Oh pardon us we have just gotten sand from the government and we need to spread it. My question is how many weeks have they been telling the guest that story. Divi located next door is the real deal. Don't waist your money on this place.

Date of stay: March 2010
3  Thank peterhaw
Reviewed 21 February 2010

We have timeshare at Belair, and it never seems to disappoint. We love the staff, they are always so accommodating and friendly. It's a great place for kids. Jody (owner of Jody's Place) sets up many kid friendly contests. This includes sandcastle contests, and most recently a hula hoop contest! The beach is beautiful, always clean. The water is mostly clear. The rooms all have ocean views and are always clean. Belair Beach is one of the best hotels in St. Maarten

Date of stay: February 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 6 February 2010

May '09 was our 2nd trip to St. Maarten and Belair Beach Hotel. Both trips were wonderful - rooms spotless - great views.
Very quiet - great for a good getaway for relaxing and "chilling".
Favorite thing about Belair was the Grasshopper staff. We've gotten to know Heidi as well as Rufus the owner. As soon as arrive we go straight to the Grasshopper to say hello - like "best friends" week. Food is great and very reasonable. Several visitors from Divi came over to Grasshopper to eat because the food was so much better.

It took our second visit to get much "cordiality" from the front desk - they were never rude but just didn't go out of their way. But after our second visit would talk with Beulah a lot - either at the desk or in the Grasshopper when she was taking her break.

Definitely need a car to enjoy everything. Taxis are expensive but we met Carlton on our first visit and he took us wherever we needed to go on our second trip - very reasonable. Belair has his information if you need to be taken somewhere.

AND, we're going back this May 2010 and, of course, staying at the Belair.
Counting the days until we get there!

Our favorite restaurant is Tutta Pasta - hidden away in Simpson Bay Yacht Club area. Very small so reservations are recommended. The best Italian we have had since going there. We actually ate there twice while we were there.

Date of stay: May 2009