“Excellent Service, Location, and Views”

Divi Little Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
New York City, New York
“Excellent Service, Location, and Views”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Having never been to St Maarten, I really struggled with a hotel location before even picking the exact hotel. Divi Little Bay was an amazing spot. We visited several beaches and the one at this hotel was really fantastic. It's not huge but it was quiet, relaxing, and the water was so warm. Gizmo's was well priced for lunch our first day and was very good. Our room was probably in the best location (furthest building, 1st floor, stunning open views) so I may be biased but I was also pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness and size of the rooms. The bathroom had a Jacuzzi tub and the shower was lovely with great water pressure. We have no complaints whatsoever. The maid service folded any clothes we left out and was very thorough. We rented a car and went all over the island for dinner each night, and to different beaches during the day. We happily came home in late afternoons to enjoy the infinity pool right next to our room or the beach at the hotel. For older people, this may be a difficult place to stay because parking is not close to the rooms and it's only a pedestrian walkway to get to each building.

1 Thank KingTraveler1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (721)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 27 March 2014

This is a beautiful piece of property. The restaurants are average. Our studio was well maintained by housekeeping. Why the low rating?? We had a rat in our second floor studio one night. No answer at the front desk until morning. Our friends had one in their third floor studio two night later in a different building. We are owners of two weeks and plan on bringing traps next time. It took three separate attempts to get a different room. ( I refused to believe they were no other rooms available.) I had to throw out all my food that was not in the refrigerator because there were chew marks on some of our food. I was finally given a $25 food voucher that did not cover my loss. We move at 4:00PM (No help was given by resort) and still no traps, maintenance visit or exterminators contacted us. This experience led to sleepless nights for the remaining 10 nights of our vacation. The day before we left an exterminator came to our studio asking to look around for any point of entry. That was 8 days after my complaint. I shared this experience in my survey I sent to headquarters hoping to discuss the problem and generate some changes at Divi so I can enjoy future visits. It has been 4 weeks and no one has called. Very disappointed in how this was handled and even more concerned about the problem of rats. They may say they don't have a problem but two incidents in a week that I am aware of is a problem in my book.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
16 Thank KathyAnn55443
DiviResorts, General Manager at Divi Little Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
We are happy to read that you feel that we have a beautiful piece of property and that you were pleased with our housekeeping services, especially as you are a Divi Little Bay owner. We have been in close contact with you during your stay here and feel that we have done everything within our power to accommodate you while you were staying with us. We also met in my office with you where I shared the exterminator report with their conclusion that no signs of rodent were found in your room.

Nevertheless, we were happy to move you to another room right away and provided you with a food & beverage voucher as well for your inconvenience. We are sorry to hear that you still feel upset and concerned, but please be assured that we don’t have a rodent issue within our resort.

We hope me may welcome you back next year to your home resort.

Celine
Dawson Creek, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Wonderful people in all areas of service. Activities galore and very knowledgable staff to help you find best activities for you. Spacious rooms. So impressed we will be back! Quiet, secluded cove. View every morning was spectacular. Thanks to Harish, Russell on the golf cart, the cleaning staff for the rooms, the lady setting up events for us. We so enjoyed our vacation! See you next February.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 26 March 2014

First visit to this resort, booking a large, beach-facing room for a thoroughly enjoyable week at this hotel/time share. We particularly enjoyed the meals (not included in our package, but chosen at least twice a day because there were so many options, all taken al fresco). The beach was clean and safe, with a variety of excellent sailing and snorkelling options close at hand. The 3 swimming pools were never crowded, a highlight being swimming solo at sunrise every day in their "infinity pool". There was no hard-sell pressure to buy a time-share but we met several families and couples who are time-share owners and have been coming for 20 years or more. They welcomed us as if we were their own personal guests and spoke highly of the friendly and attentive staff. The facilities were extensive and extremely well-maintained.

Room Tip: All of the hotel rooms in our 2nd-floor section of the resort had balconies overlooking the beach, w...
1 Thank Lorna M
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Pretty property..Nice rooms....But If you draw the short straw and end up on the pull out sofa..watch out!!! Super uncomfortable!! In my opinion..they should not ever be offered as a sleeping option!! Complained several times, and they finally did brought a mattress cover for one..... we needed two!!!! that sounds like that should cure the problem , however, then you're faced with the pulling it on and off every night and morning. As I said before the property was pretty.. but If your room was up on the HILL there was no parking close.. so that meant that if you went to the grocery store you had to haul your bags up the hill and up the stairs (NO ELEVATORS!) . We were on the Third Floor......

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Rosedale, New York
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Let me start by saying I never write a review but after stay here I knew I just had too.
My husband and I never traveled to another country and this was I first time together and the staff made it worth wild. Juan at the front desk was so great he went well beyond his duties to accommodate us. He made sure we was happy with everything. Due to Delta keep changing our flight plan we got there 3 hours early and we had no problem getting our room. we stayed in a one bedroom and it was prefect with a amazing view . My husband brought what they call a romantic package he thought it was only dinner on the beach but it turned out to be so so so much more we got a couples massage which was great as well as a personal chief and waiter for our dinner and free breakfast for our whole stay. when we set the dinner up the manager and the chief sat down and spoke to us about our menu and got to order just about anything we wanted and I appreciated that due to the fact that im allergic to shellfish. the waiter we had (Gilberto) was great and funny he made us feel special .the resort have so much to do that you don't really have to go any where else there is even a supermarket on site . Gizmos is a great bar and a few nights we was there they had entertainment All the staff was so friendly I believe it made all the visitors friendly I can truly say that I had a great time that we are going to go back and even want to take kids its also a kids friendly resort

Room Tip: get a room with a view
1 Thank ladyred249
Bow, New Hampshire
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Divi Little Bay has always had the best location on the island--a lovely narrow peninsula with Great Bay on one side, Little Bay on the other and on the very tip (accessible only through the resort itself) the historical ruins of 17th century Fort Amsterdam. Walking paths with information boards provide interesting commentary and make the fort an interesting place for a walk any time of day, but especially in the early evening to catch the sunset and watch the cruise ships depart from Philipsburg.

We have been timeshare owners at DLB since 1995 and have seen the resort weather hurricanes as well as frustrating management turnovers. Now, though, there is a new General Manager (in place for 2-3 years) and the resort has never looked or operated better. New cabanas at the Infinity Pool and Casita pool provide much-needed shade. Hot tubs are in place (and maintained in spotless condition) at all three pools and at the new picnic/grill patio overlooking Great Bay. The new bright blue loungers installed resort-wide last year are in "as-new" condition. The beach concessionaires have plenty of umbrellas (free for resort guests).

Gizmo's Beach Bar has a new band stand/stage for nightly live entertainment and has a great menu (pizza is wonderful) and a lovely beach-front setting.

Timeshare suites are kept in good order. They are large and airy but, having been built a few decades ago, need the occasional repair. New management has placed special priority on responding to guest requests, though, and if you call the front desk with an issue--they are there within a few minutes. Really! Bedding and furniture has been upgraded resort-wide over the past 5 years, and new porch furniture will be distributed in late March, early April.

Thanks to a very kind storm season last year, the Little Bay beach is in wonderful shape--as is the landscaping throughout the resort. It looks great.

More improvements are scheduled for the next few months--including a large project to provide more protection for the open-air reception area.

As long-time timeshare owners at DLB (we bought for the island itself, not to exchange) we are delighted to see the resort in such good shape. It was also interesting to find out that the King and Queen chose Divi Little Bay for their stay last fall.

Room Tip: If you are a sand-on-the-beach person, ask for accommodation on the Little Bay side. If you like bre...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank kenokids
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,256 reviews

Been to Divi Little Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!