“Just right!!!”

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
New York City, New York
“Just right!!!”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

The husband and I recently returned from his birthday trip 3/19 to 3/25/14. This was our first time staying on the island. We stopped over during a cruise once. I must say, we were very pleased with this resort. It was beautiful, well maintained, and has 24 hour security at the entrance. The room was perfect. NO COMPLAINTS. We didn't visit the French side because we were so busy on the dining and gambling on the Dutch side. We had an excellent time. Won a couple of jackpots at several of the casinos, and had a great time at Cheri's Cafe. I'm really glad we dodn't rent a car because those Maarteens drive KWAZY!!!! Overall, we had a blast!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tammy1065

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (727)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Port Coquitlam, Canada
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed at this resort for two weeks and thoroughly enjoyed it. We did go to the timeshare presentation and did not feel pressured at all. They have an orientation event every week that even long term owners attend because they have a draw with multiple prizes. Twice weekly the resort also holds a Manager's party with free drinks for an hour, a singer, and more draws. There are three pools, plus the gorgeous beach with very swimmable water. Enjoyed the two restaurants overlooking the beach as well as the one in the neighbouring resort. It's a good walk to Philipsburg with plenty of restaurants to choose from. Lots of people-watching there with people from the cruise ships. Go around 3 or so and the boardwalk is almost deserted.

Staff were friendly and helpful with excursion suggestions. We went to the Mardi Gras night market, an island tour, and a dinner cruise. Enjoyed them all.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Denise3553
NJ
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

We were vacationing with 2 other families who came a day before us and were promised all rooms to be close to each other. When we arrived we were given a unit all the way in the back and far from our friends so we couldn't really hang out at night as we couldn't leave small kids sleeping in the room . The unit 721 was ok. Kitchen had everything you need to prepare food. The beds weren't too comfortable but not terrible either. The pull out couch was ok for the kid but I wouldn't be able to sleep on it. We rented a cot from the resort for my other child. The cot had a much better mattress than the pull out sofa. Although the room was clean it needs some updating. The walls had lots of stains that looked a little disgusting and the air conditioning kept making lots of noise. It kept waking me up. My husband didn't mind it so much. I wish I could open the window but our bedroom window had a staircase view. The balcony in the living room had a beautiful view of the ocean. Loved eating my breakfast there every morning. The greatest part of this resort is the beach. It is small so you have to get there early to get chairs, umbrellas and towels. By 10 am there were no more towels till 1. The water is clear and calm and the view is just gorgeous. We rented kayaks, banana boat and jet skies right on the beach. Kids also enjoyed snorkeling right off the beach. The beach restaurant is ok for lunch. Service was a little slow but we ordered and waited on the beach until the food was ready. We rented a car and drove to different areas of the island each night for dinner. There are no restaurants within walking distance to the resort.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank saverb
St. Albert
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I have been to Divi for seven years in a row with my wife and children.

When I bought a timeshare I was told that we would have a 40 year lease.

A great benefit was that we could bring weeks forward and use them for our children.

We did that for a year or two.

Then we paid an extra $28,000 to upgrade to a more luxurious unit which had a full kitchen (total cost about $50,000 plus the annual fees).

We then found out that we could only bring weeks forward between May and September, when we do not want to go there.

So now we have to pay for the kids. Guess what it cost us this year for a studio without a full kitchen for my daughter, son-in-law and grandson for two weeks?

$4,900. That does not include food or anything but the room. Add to that the air fare from where we live ($1500 per person or $4500 in all for my daughter's family). It all adds up.

If you buy, be very careful indeed about what you will actually get. The place is beautiful. It is American owned and is rated as three stars overall. But the owners have jacked up the prices over the years to what I feel is my breaking point. I enjoyed it but at those prices, I am going to Hawaii next year with my family.

Room Tip: Ask if there is a full kitchen. If not, ask if it is beach front. But most of all check the cost and...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank PaulAlberta
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Saw many glowing reviews about this place, especially for kids. I'm sorry but I don't see the draw. Only one server was very courteous and smiled, otherwise I felt like I was in a 3rd world country 'resort'. Drinks very pricey but not strong at all; didn't even bother with the food - menu was basic, so just went to the friendly next door Café to grab a salad and some fruit.
Beach was fine, loungers and parasols $5 each. Taxi ride to get there from port, $20.
Bathrooms horrendous and so smelly and really didn't appreciate being harassed by the timeshare peddler as soon as we got out of the taxi. I'm a generally easygoing person, but she really ticked me off.

***General lack of ambiance was the biggest turnoff, though..

Special downside was people with timeshares questioning why we were there. Yes, we were on a port day from a cruise, big deal, we won't be back anyway...you can keep it!

Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Heart12345
Farmington Hills, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 17 April 2014

this is a slice of heaven in paradise. my kids and i missed embarking on the disney fantasy after delta airlines bumped us from our flight (that's another story). we flew to st. maarten and stayed at divi little bay. this was the perfect place to relax while we waited for our boat to arrive. the resort sits on a spit of land dividing great bay and little bay. the snorkeling is good and there are other water sports available, like riding kayaks, paddle boards and jet skis, as well as scuba diving. little bay is actually wear the cruise travelers go for the sea trek, snorkeling and diving excursions. there is a breezy, sandy beach with plenty of room for sun bathing and unwinding. the service and food are excellent. divi little bay was exactly what we stressed travelers needed. in fact, we're planning to go back soon!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank John K
Willemstad, Curacao
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The Divi Little Bay Beach Resort is in a beautiful setting and the rooms are in great shape. Modern and clean. The rooms have free Wifi, although the connection was a little slow. Stayed for just one night, for business, so I couldn’t enjoy all their beach facilities, which looked very nice by the way.
Pity there where some long, red hairs in the bathroom, obviously not mine.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank andre s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Alamanda Resort
#6 of 8 in Orient Bay
Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort

Been to Divi Little Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!