“Great Resort, Fabulous Location”

Divi Little Bay Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
tdear66
“Great Resort, Fabulous Location”
Reviewed 23 October 2010

After reading the reviews, I wasn't sure what to expect when we got to the resort, but any anxiety I had quickly disappeared.

My husband and I like to visit different places and I had never been to St. Maarten so we chose Divi Little Bay to celebrate our second anniversary with another couple. Check-in was fast and easy, although I wasn't thrilled when we were shuttled into an office to hear a speach from our 'assigned' concierge. Fortunately, we were in and out quickly and had no problem scheduling an appointment for a timeshare presentation in exchange for $100 resort credit.

When we got to our one bedroom unit, it was nice but had only a double bed. My husband is 6'5" and we had been told we would have a king size bed, so this was a problem. A trip to the front desk got us a new unit which was very nice, with a patio overlooking Great Bay, Philipsburg and the cruise ships that came in throughout the week. I loved that the way the buidings are laid out made our patio very private - we had coffee and fruit for breakfast on the patio every morning and didn't see or hear anyone else, other than the visiting cats, from our quiet sanctuary the entire week. Watching the sunset from the infinity pool is an amazing sight that should not be missed.

I had read several bad reviews about the food at the resort, and had reservations about eating there, but we were enjoying the pool on our first day and the Seabreeze Cafe was the only place to get lunch without having to go somewhere else. We shared a chicken and ribs basket and to my surprise it was quite good. Apparently they have a new chef and we ended up eating several meals at the resort throughout the week, including breakfast at the restaurant, lunch at Seabreeze and pizzas from Gizmo's, which were all very tasty and we didn't feel they were overpriced.

We rented a small SUV for the week for only $260, which we thought was quite reasonable and is essential if you want to see the island. I read several reviews about Philipsburg being only a 15 minute walk from the resort, but I can't imagine who would want to walk on those roads - they are very narrow and the drivers are pretty crazy. We spent a day at Pinel Island which was very relaxing, and did some shopping in Philipsburg, but mostly spent the days at the pools and ventured out at night for dinner, including an amazing 7 pound lobster at Lee's Roadside, which was the biggest lobster I've ever seen and it was delicious! We celebrated our anniversary with dinner at Temptation Restaurant, which was wonderful. The food was delicious and the owner Jack and the entire staff could not have been any nicer.

After driving around the island and seeing the different towns and resorts, etc. I decided that the Divi has the best location on the island for what we like. The peninsula it's situated on provides amazing views, which are different from each area of the resort, and the fact that it's not in any of the towns, which are very congested, provides plenty of privacy and tranquility. While I realize that's not what everyone wants on their vacations, it is exactly what we like and we enjoyed it thoroughly. We will definitely return.

1 Thank tdear66

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (747)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Windsor, Connecticut
Reviewed 14 October 2010

It makes you feel really spoiled when you complain about your stay in paradise, but this hotel has some major drawbacks. Almost every good point has a bad point. Observe:

Cleanliness:
Fairly clean overall. Our jacuzzi tub was covered with yellow crud, which means it had not been fully cleaned before we got the room. Everything else was clean though.

Service:
It seems like this hotel does the bare minimum when it comes to service. It's not a Motel 6, to be sure, but the staff could hardly be described as "helpful." The maids did seem to come sporadically. Either they were there nonstop for no reason (twice right after we checked in), or they weren't there all day. We were in the room on the only day they actually CLEAN the room (Wednesdays), and the maid did clean the bathroom and change the sheets after we asked. Other than that, hotel staff were really more interested in pestering us for our last name to sign us up for time share presentations (seriously, all day every day...we had to pretend to be on our phones whenever we walked by hotel staff so they wouldn't take to us) than helping us find anything. A lot of times, we got "I don't knows" or people just pointing at things. I will say, however, this seemed to be characteristic of the culture on the island. We got that kind of thing from a lot of off-resort natives...But the management vainly tried to be welcoming with cocktail parties and such...B- for effort?

Location:
There are good and bad things about the location. The views are beautiful, and it's a very relaxing atmosphere, right on the beach. It is kind of far from everything. We walked into Philipsburg and to the supermarket and stuff, but the walks were far from pleasant, and if we were older or more out of shape, it would have been impossible. You either have to take taxis everywhere or rent cars, which we were told was the same price as taxis in the long run. I opted for taxis because if it's the same price, I'd rather be driven around this foreign island I know nothing about than try to fend for myself.

Value:
On one hand, it was a timeshare exchange, so the actual room was pretty much covered. On the other hand, they nickel and dime you for EVERYTHING. Of course restaurants and stores were expensive, to be expected, but you even had to pay $5 to use the trampoline in the ocean (which we did not do).

Rooms:
Our room was mildly impressive upon first impression, and the view was fabulous. I really have no complaints about the room. If there were more than 2 of us, it would have been too small. As it was, everything was fine.

Sleep Quality:
I slept fine. No major noise problems...some random beeping outside sometimes, but nothing to keep me awake. A lot of construction is going on around here, but nothing bothered me in terms of sleeping. My husband had a hard time finding a comfortable spot with the pillows, and our bed at home is more comfortable, but like I said, I slept fine, and quite a lot.

Other random stuff:
The beach smells bad in the later afternoon, but is totally fine earlier in the day. The infinity pool is quite small, but secluded enough so that not everyone goes there, and it's right by our room...with a nice view. There are tiny bugs in the area that bite very painfully.

Overall:
We had a nice, relaxing stay, but there were a lot of relatively minor frustrations that when you add them all together, end up being very frustrating. I'm recommending this hotel, because there are a lot of good things about it, but with the aforementioned cautions.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sarizona
New Haven
Reviewed 12 October 2010

This hotel was great, close to town, yet secluded enough. Beach is small but good. Rooms recently renovated.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
mansfield, ct
Reviewed 12 October 2010

We had a one bedroom unit which had a full kitchen. Balcony with a wonderful oceanview. Grounds were beautifully maintained . The beach was not the most beautiful in St Maarten that I saw. The shops in the downtown area are within walking distance to this hotel. It is located on its own peninsula with beautiful views. I would reccomend a car if staying here.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
Ontario
Reviewed 12 October 2010

The resort is nice with lots of pools and hot tubs. But the hot tubs are rarely operational and maintenance in general is poor. We had major leaks in our unit during extended rain and this was addressed by laying down several pool towels. Unit amenities are good. Pool towel hut was closed for 3 days during extended rain storm. We only dined at the resort once and the food was good - just very little selection. Lisa at front desk was good. Grounds staff were lazy. Housekeepers were friendly and did a good job. During the storm most activities were cancelled - this seems the opposite approach to making the best of a bad situation.
A rental car is a good idea as there is no public transit.

1 Thank Asman69
new york
Reviewed 6 October 2010

IF you are travelling with children do NOT come here. THe resort has no activities for children, no play ground, the kids club was closed. It pretty much rained the whole time we were here and we were bored out of our minds as there was nothing to do. IF you do come to stay here make sure you request the renovated apt, as the un renovated rooms are disguisting with wholes in sheets, dirty bathrooms kitchens, and floors. Horrible... staff and service was also very slow, and it seemed like they did not want to be here. Please dont stay in this resort, also Philisburg was not a pretty town, did not feel safe walking around there. All in all trip was not worth it and resort was very child unfriendly.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank msangel
Barre, Vermont
Reviewed 5 October 2010

We spent our anniversary in a timeshare 1-bedroom unit in building 3 overlooking Great Bay and Phillipsburg. We had ocean-view 1st floor by request. I had no idea that we would be overlooking a rock retaining wall and not sandy beach but we still had great views of the cruise ships and Bay. We had NO DISHWASHER or washer/dryer which was appalling. And we needed key items like spatulas, corkscrews, clock radio, baking sheet which took 4 days and multiple requests to get.Pools were great and the ocean lovely but very little sand to walk the beach on for any stretch. Had very little restaurant food there but it was okay. We had 5 cats that adopted us for the week. They are semi-wild and won't allow you to pat them. We rented a kayak,did the full sail around the island and rented a car for 1 day. We lost electicity for several hours which was odd since the weather was fine. Met lovely people.Crime IS bad in Marigot where our rental car had its lock broken while we shopped at the market. U.S. homeowners insurance WON'T cover you in the Carribean so everyone needs to get the rental car ins. We learned the expensive way! Sunset Bar watching planes come in over your head is fun.We will return someday but we like to try new places.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelm0m48
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel

Been to Divi Little Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!