“Excellent place to ease the pain of the dreaded 40th birthday!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa

Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Tampa, Florida
“Excellent place to ease the pain of the dreaded 40th birthday!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

This was my 1st trip anywhere in the Caribbean. As I live in Florida, I never gave it much thought to go, but after 2 nasty winters it seems even Floridians now need to head further south for some warmth and sun--Plenty of that in St Maarten!!!

I traveled with my mother, and we decided on St M. after tossing around ideas for a trip, and after seeing so many YouTube videos of the jets taking off and landing at Princess Julianna airport, I had to see it once for myself. SXM it was!

We decided not to do all-inclusive, as we felt that this ties you down to the resort for all meals etc, and we knew that we definitely wanted to venture out more for variety of food and local flair. Best decision we could have made! I'll break down the different resort areas/services below.

ARRIVAL- We flew from Tampa-San Juan-St Maarten, and arrived just after 1pm on 3.29.11. The minute we stepped off the American Airlines puddle jumper the hot sun and smell of humid salt air assured us we were in the right place. We breezed through customs, our luggage was waiting for us on the other end, and the transportation included with the travel was waiting outside holding a sign with our name on it. Off to Great Bay we went. The drive to the resort was @ 20 minutes, and provided amazing views of the surrounding hills, sea, and local life in action. The driver told us we had chosen a good time to come, as by the main part of the high season had past.

CHECK IN/FRONT DESK- We walked into the lobby and were absolutely awestruck by the view out the large almost floor to ceiling windows. Heaven. Vicky was our agent, and was pleasant and smiling, asking how the trip was. Check in was smooth and efficient, and we were off to the room. We were on the 3rd floor, so it was a surprise to walk DOWN a flight of stairs to get there! The lobby sits on the 4th floor, now we knew! We get to the room and find 1 King bed...oops..that wont work for me and my mom! We run back to the desk to ask about a room with 2 beds, and Vicky smiled again and said "You don't want to sleep with your wife?" I'm not sure if this means my mom looks young, I look old, or they see all kinds of sugar-mama couples...but we laughed and explained we were mother and son. No problem, new room keys and a room with 2 queen beds on same floor.

ROOM-It's pretty hard to go wrong with an ocean view, and the floor we were on was just above the tops of the palm trees, affording a dazzling view of great bay, the cruise port, and the entire stretch of beach to Philipsburg. As far as rooms go, no major complaints. How much time do you really spend in there anyway? The only thing strange was the shower set up...the whole floor of the bathroom was also the floor of the shower, with no real 'tub', and a stationary glass partition serving as the shower curtain. Had never seen that before, we guessed it was a European type set up. Just be careful in there, it gets slick after a shower, and you'll find yourself using every available towel as a floor mat!
Housekeeping services were efficient, with the staff being friendly. Sometimes the towels came later in the day, but this was not a major problem. The room was clean to our satisfaction, the beds and pillows were very comfortable, and we slept very well with the sound of waves crashing on the shore below.

RESTAURANTS/FOOD- As mentioned before, we did not go all inclusive. We were glad for that, as the breakfast buffet was alright, but definitely not what we would want to be tied down to having every day. Many days, we just had coffee before heading to the pool/beach, and we would then walk into Pburg for a later lunch. We're not huge fans of buffet style dining, but in a pinch it does get you fed. The breakfast that we did have was fine, and the omelette attendant lady, from Dominican Republic was nice enough if you said hello. I asked where she was from, she told me, and as I speak Spanish we conversed every time I was there. This, plus a dollar in her tip jar made a world of difference I guess, because she did not seem to be as hateful as others have said. We had Geneva as a waitress a few times in the main restaurant, and she was very pleasant and professional. The Monday night BBQ grill was outstanding, and dining on the pool deck was a nice touch. Only problem was with as windy as it was, the candles couldn't stay lit. Many days we would have a late lunch/early dinner at a place called Pirates in paradise on the beach walk in Pburg. Great food, very reasonable price, and the employees came to know us pretty well. Highly recommend finding this spot! They also had free wifi there, which was a plus.

HOTEL AMENITIES/SERVICES- We aren't the kind of people that need constant entertainment, the pool and beach/people watching do just fine for us in this area. We did rent snorkel gear to take with us on our day trip to Baie Rouge, and David in the activities office was a real cool guy, giving us pointers on the best/safest place to snorkel. (Which is why we chose Baie Rouge) Yes, the staff down there are all @ 18-20 and busy socializing, but we joked with them and they came right around to doing their jobs. I guess its all in one's approach? The pools were clean, water perfectly cool to give relief from the hot sun, and every day we saw the staff mopping, sweeping, arranging, etc. the pool area. The spa was closed, and my mother wanted a massage. She got one from one of several local ladies on the beach offering them, along with aloe treatments, jewelry and other things. They were very nice, and I can't imagine being out on that beach all day in jeans like they were! I can see how if people are the type that need Vegas-style entertainment they'd feel something was lacking. But, you're not in Las Vegas, you're in the caribbean! Treat yourself to a walk down to the beach in front of the hotel late at night, I promise you the stars you will see are NOTHING like the ones you see at home, and they are countless. The southern cross is truly breathtaking...and I spent a few nights just staring at it, and understanding the wonderment expressed in songs and stories about it through history. It dwarfs the big and little dippers, and is far brighter too.

BARS- Also didn't have any trouble in this area. But, we also tipped on every purchase that we made, and standard US tipping at that. I overheard the pool bartender telling someone in Spanish that the Canadians, who were en masse at the resort, never tip well. As I work in hospitality, I know this to be true. The joke goes "What's the difference between a Canadian and a canoe? A canoe tips." So, neighbors to the north, take a lesson and realize that when you travel outside Canada, tipping is a part of the culture, and you should do it!
Also, many reviews here seem to note a lack of 'pampering' here, with complaints ranging from mosquitoes in the elevator, to having to get your own drinks at the bar. Well, I'm guessing these people must be used to true 5 star resorts, and aren't accustomed to 'roughing it' like us normal Joes. (Roughing it, in St Maarten...oh the irony) Well, I know what we paid, and I know what the rates were for places in Mexico, DR, or Aruba. This was NOT a 5 star rate. So, get your own drinks, slap a mosquito, and pull your bags to your own room. Hey, think of all the money you save not having to tip poorly!

CASINO- Lost my a$$! lol...but I'm not much of a gambler. The bartender in the casino, Simone was the sweetest person, and Braulio was a real cool guy. Some of the dealers at roulette were a little less than friendly, but I wasn't terribly affected by that. AS long as you were playing, Simone would keep bringing you whatever you were drinking. Not a lot of action in the casino past 10 pm...seemed most people were done for the night by this point, which also probably speaks to the bars closing early and any entertainment wrapping up by midnight. Marie at the lobby bar was HYSTERICAL, and answered many history questions about St. M. and the Antillean way of life in general, and seemed impressed that someone was actually interested in learning about it. Another cue to tourists, be interested in the history and culture of the nation you are visiting!!

ST MAARTEN IN GENERAL- Probably not the best place for kids, as there is much gambling and no 'Disney' atmosphere here, plus nudity on beaches. Great for adults who appreciate a beautiful island nation and its own unique culture. The tropical foliage and flora were amazing to see, the different towns on the island were interesting, and the beaches we saw were the stuff travel ads are made of. Witnessing air traffic at Julianna airport from the sunset bar was just phenomenal, and humorous to watch these people sandblasted by the jet wash! Pineapple Pete's was a great restaurant...we didn't eat on the French side...we're not huge fans of food we can't pronounce. PicParadis was truly remarkable, and driving on the island was an experience to remember. We did not encounter any unfriendly islanders, nor did we feel in danger at any time. We also didn't go wandering about much after dark, so draw your own conclusions there. Did a little duty free shopping in Pburg, mostly liquor and tobacco. But if one was in the market for jewelry, this looked like the place to go. As the local Carnivale season was getting ready to start, we happened to witness a small parade of the local fire brigade (Brandeweer) complete with a marching band going thru town. The color, the sounds, the sights, the smell, the wild chickens running around..ahhh I can go back in my mind very easily.

CHECK OUT- Our trip ended 4.5.11. Again, Vicky was our agent and there were no surprise charges or fees. We had to be out by 11am, but the flight to Miami wasn't until 3:30. So, we checked our luggage in and went down by the pool and shop area to wait it out. This was the only time it rained the whole week, and even then it only seemed to last 45 minutes. The transport back to the airport was supposed to pick us up at 1pm. 1:10, no sign...1:15..still nothing. We went back to the desk to ask Vicky to call the # we were given, and she got a recording when she called. 1:20, no car, Now we're getting worried we will miss our flight. Another couple of people were waiting for a taxi into Simpson Bay, and when the driver pulled in he asked us if we needed a ride too, we said we did and he doubled us up in the cab. Worked out nicely, he dropped the others off first, picked a few more up, and then we got to the airport about 1:45. Just enough time to check in, get through customs, and learn that our flight was delayed because the inbound flight had left Miami late due to bad weather. Oh well...we hung around the airport, and the flight finally left SXM at @5:30, and we got home to Tampa late that night where the temperature was 58!! 0.0!!

Suggestions/comments to Sonesta-

1. The internet fee of $18/day is just a tad exorbitant, don't you think? I could see that for a week, but daily? Not good, especially when restaurants all over the island offered wifi for free.

2. Blankets in the hallways to clean up leaks-Looks really bad, even tho we're sure it keeps guests from slipping. I wish I had a good suggestion here...I'm sure that's one of your biggest headaches.

3. Get an ATM on property. Not being able to access cash except from the casino cashier isn't overly convenient, especially when the casino doesn't open until 3 pm. You're a large enough property, and could probably even realize revenue from fees at the ATM.

4. Where the shower is for guests coming off the beach, you'd probably see a whole lot less sand in the pool area if you put a faucet down low for feet, rather than up high for a shower. We tried our best to wash our feet, but the combination of wind and the water coming from too high up defeated our efforts

5. Give me a job in your F&B department. I'd love a chance to see St. Maarten thru the eyes of a local!

Room Tip: Go ocean view, all the way
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank Potpie813

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,489)
  • Hungarian first
Ontaria
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

We have stayed for the past two years - so this was our third trip and sadly not as good.

Reception are rude and disinterested and housekeeping was not as good this time, the maid kept forgetting towels and the room was not as clean. It was off season and the whole place lacked energy and staff were very disinterested, unlike last year when they interacted with us a lot and we had great fun.

The most noticable change was that the F & B Manager Steven was not there and we were told he had left a couple of months ago. The restaurant staff were not nearly as helpful, the buffets did not look as good. Although generally the food was OK, items that ran out were not replenished as the staff spent most of the time gossipping, or on two occasions - arguing. The service in the restaurant was hit and miss and we had to get up from our table on several occasions to fetch drinks yet it was not busy. Overall the buffets did not look nearly as good as previously.

The hotel really does need an upgrade now, rooms are OK but the rest of the hotel is tired.

We had a great day out on the catamaran tour and met some great people. We hired a car for a couple of days so we could visit the other beaches - Orient, Friars Bay and Mullet Beach were our favourites. All the beaches were quiet which was lovely.

Not sure we would go back, mainly because the previous F & B Manager who was always around, day and night obviously put energy into the staff and created a happy place, it all seems to be a lesser place now.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Rob T
gmgreatbay19, General Manager at Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this review, 12 October 2011
Thank you for the travel review. We appreciate the comments and always strive to be the best in our resort. Yes, Stephen has departed and move back to the U.K. We are seeking a new person for his role and finding the right fit is always important. We do have a new Chef, as of Oct. 1 and he is creating new & exciting menus for the upcoming busy season. We have a strong committment to hospitality. As well, we have just started a new activities program and did alot of new training to bring the best team to always entertain the guests.

sincerely,
innisfil
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

we stayed at the sonesta bay sept 23 to the 30 th , the hotel is about 20 min from the airport but then again everything about 20 min from the airport.
check in was smooth and the rooms were very clean. the maid came in 2 times a day to give us fresh sheets ( not sure if this happpens all the time ) , the pools are small but do their job of cooling you down in the heat . the beach was awesome it is about 3 miles long with almost no people on it, no beggers no one trying to sell you things.

we went down town almost every day to check out the shops and to people watch , everyday there was a new ship or two with different people coming on land to shop it was nice. we bought some jewerley from joes on front street talked to Ron he was awesome to deal with and you can get carried away buying things because they are chhep and no tax.

I did some diving while i was there and it was awesome we did a wreck dive and a reef dive saw sharks , sting rays, puffer fish , turtles and all the tropical fish you can think of.

the food at sonesta was not the best break fast was buffette style wth typical resort food you will not starve, most of our lunches and dinners were ala carte because of the low number of guest in the hotel. we ate lunch most days on the strip the blue ( another word for female dog ) can not use profanities on trip adviaor and the captians ship were the best and least expensive.

i would go back to this resort but not in september it was a bit too quiet aand relaxed for me and there ws nothing to do after 9 pm

4 Thank maisine
South Florida, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

I stayed at the Sonesta Great Bay Hotel recently for a one week all inclusive vacation. The hotel is older but it was well maintained. The a la carte restaurants were very good. The buffets was mediocre at best.
The room were very humid (could use dehumidifiers) but very comfortable and well maintained.
The pools and pool areas were very nice. The beach is beautiful. There were a lot of water sports available.
The staff was very pleasant and willing.
The location is great.
There is not much to do in the evenings except the casino.
We met quite a number of people who have been returning to this hotel every year for quite a few years. I think I might also.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank florida8349
Rockaway, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

My girlfriend, who is a high school teacher in N.J for the past 25 years, and I, being a wine and liquor salesman in N.J, just love it there.
We have traveled all over the Caribbean and always know that we ALWAYS have the BEST time at The SONESTA GREAT BAY. .
This past season was our 7th, back here. It truly is the best.
The entire staff welcomes you with open arms. From the top G.M. JUAN
to the entire wait staff, Charlene, Frank, DESTIN (the pool and ocean bartender). They are all so terrific and willing to please. The chef If you give him time, he will try his best to do, whatever you prefer.
This Gorgeous resort overlooks all the cruise ships that dock across from this beautiful CALM BAY. The water is turquoise blue, warm and soothing. . I am so spoiled being there that I plan on a winter short vacation
to just chill out and relax.
Best bet is after breakfast, a nice walk, 100yards or so to the
Boardwalk, where security is fine and the shops; cloths, jewelry, HAND -MADE flee market things, groceries, etc; are all available.
The biggest thing is the cost. $ EVERYTHING IS DUTY -FREE and less expensive than the airports.
There are excursions available from the SONESTA GREAT BAY.
We did more than a few at different years. My favorite was the ANGUILA
Catamaran sea trip. It was outrageous. WE were shuttled by bus and you must bring your passport because it is a different Country.
We sailed around the entire Island and came to a WHITE SAND BEACH,
where they put us on little power boats to bring us to the ISLAND.
ABSOLUTLEY GORGEOUS, and then before our departure back,
they gave us all (approximately 20-25) people, a luncheon to die for, with jerk chicken, corn on the cob, greens and salad ...
KATHY & I will never forget it. Once in a lifetime and very reasonable. Anyway, it’s ALL because of the resort.
Oh, by the way, the beds, pillows and extra, extra soft comforters are soooooo good; we couldn't remember putting our heads on the pillows.
WE slept like babies and were UP, ready to go in the morning with
everything very quiet at night.
IT is truly beautiful, especially when the cruise ships roll in at a whisper.
I WANT TO GO BACK NOW.
Robert (BOBBY) BOTTONE. New Jersey

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bobby B
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

We stayed at great bay beach for 2 weeks in september. This is low season which for us was very nice because we were traveling with our 6 months old baby. The rooms are convenient, 3 swimmingpools and multiple restaurants. A hotel i recommend!

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Wilkens1
gmgreatbay19, General Manager at Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this review, 4 October 2011
Thank you for the travel opinion, it is really appreciated. We share these reviews with our staff and they will be happy to read a warm and positive opinion of our resort. We have many plans forthcoming to improve our kids related activities- more games, building a mini-kids club, etc... As your child grows older, we hope you will continue to enjoy our resort and the island of Sint Maarten for many years.

with hospitality,
Niagara Falls
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

Just came back from the Sonesta Great Bay, I too read many negative reports prior to leaving and was a little concerned. But changed my mind once we arrived at SGB. Check in was quick, Juan the GM had upgraded our room for our 40th anniv. which was a very nice room in the apartments area, thank you Juan. Food was always fresh and different everyday, wait staff are superb very friendly and helpful. Not much entertainment this time of year but we did have local bands and singers visit every night which was enough. Met many nice locals on our walks around the town which is very safe, shopping is fabulous... and the beach is the best. All in all I would recommend this resort, its a fantastic place.

Room Tip: Ocean view is the best
8 Thank mena_9
gmgreatbay19, General Manager at Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this review, 20 September 2011
Thank you for the travel opinion. It is appreciated to read the positive remarks in regards to our team. We will share your opinion with our team. An excellent suggestion for any travelers on our close location to visiting all the shops on the Front St. promenade district.

sincerely,
Juan- G.M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,179 reviews

Been to Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa? Share your experiences!