“Good place for an easy, relaxing getaway”

Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My three girlfriends and I wanted a tropical getaway for the holidays and booked this trip a month in advance. We didn't expect too much because the cost was pretty reasonable. This resort is by no means luxurious, but it's very nice and pleasant! I have to say overall we were pleased with our experience. The place is small, quaint and very manageable. The town, Philipsburg, is a 10 minute walk along the beach where you can find cute stores and restaurants. The infinity pool is beautiful and you can walk down the steps right to the beach.

As expected, the staff was a little slow but that's Caribbean time for you! My brother tried to buy us a bottle of champagne to be there upon arrival and didn't happen until the next day after he called again. The staff at the front desk didn't appear to be too organized or on top of things. Regardless, the staff was very nice and friendly. They were helpful when one girl needed to call a doctor and find a pharmacy. The rooms were cleaned but never fully stocked with towels, but the cleaning service always came back to bring more towels eventualy.

Also to be expected, the food was not very good, but still doable. None of us are foodies by any means, but we all agreed it wasn't great. The desserts looked delicious but none of them were actually good at all. It would be helpful if the wait staff were better trained, particularly in the specialty restaurants. We were happy to leave the resort our last night to eat out at a restaurant with good quality food (definitely go to Grand Case for a great French meal).

Room Tip: We didn't pay extra for an ocean side room and it was fine, but the rooms with the ocean view ha...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Amandaglass
alexlynch, Guest Relations Manager at Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. We appreciate all of your comments and will make every effort to improve in the areas mentioned. We still hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Guest Relations

Write a ReviewReviews (4,333)

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We had the pleasure of staying in a one bedroom butler suite in the Mirimar wing. While a bit pricy, it was worth every penny. We were celebrating our grandfather’s 90th birthday, and there were 10 of us in total (but only 2 of us in the Mirimar wing). Marcia (the butler) was wonderful – she would ensure we had whatever alcohol or mixes we wanted (even Crown Royal), brought snacks for happy hour, reserved a table at the a la carte that would seat everyone in our group, reserved a prime spot on the beach for us (along with a cooler loaded with beer, water and ice, which everyone in our group was able to enjoy). She did have some help from Taro, who was equally wonderful. Thank you both!! 
Room: The room itself was on par with what I would expect in the Caribbean. The bed and couch were bit hard, and the dishwasher didn’t work, but it was quiet and very clean! The cleaning staff certainly take their jobs seriously! Unfortunately, I didn’t get their names. Our room had a huge patio which had beautiful views of Phillipsburg & the pier. It had a table with 4 chairs, and 3 reclining lounger chairs with an umbrella. It was perfect for happy hours with the whole family.
Room Key Cards: The most frustrating thing about the room is the key cards. They often lose their encoding, so you often get locked out of your room and have to go back to the front desk to have them reset it. This happened to us when we returned from an all-day excursion, and we had armfuls of stuff with us (snorkling gear, towels, etc.). While my husband was on his way back to the front desk, a maintenance guy came by, and offered to let me into my room. I didn’t catch his name, but THANK YOU!!!
Restaurants: There are really only 2 restaurants; the buffet (breakfast, lunch & dinner), and the a la carte (dinner only). There is also a grill which provides some afternoon & late night snacks. The food is pretty good. Sometimes they run out of stuff in the a la carte (e.g. Swordfish), and substitute without telling you, but it still ends up being delicious. For the a la carte, there are two menus, which alternate – the seafood and the Italian. When going to the Italian, I highly recommend the cannelloni as an appetizer – we liked it so much, they brought out more for our group! A couple of people that I’d like to recognize from the restaurants: the lady who made our delicious omelettes each morning (Nana) and all of our waiters/waitresses (Modesta, Marcillia, Sheena, Pauline, and Ruffino, just to name a few).
Spa: As part of our package, we received two complimentary massages. Before your massage, they ask you to fill out a survey so they know what level of pressure you prefer, if you have any pains, or medical issues that they should know about. This ensures you get what you want. We wanted relaxation, and we got it! We were already a few days into our vacation, so we were already relaxed -- these were so good, they almost put us to sleep! They also have a special aloe vera massage that’s supposed to help with sunburns, but luckily we didn’t need those. I only caught one of the names: Nicole.
Games: I only participated in one of the games – bingo. And as it turned out, I won!  The prize was a $25 ring from the resort’s jewelry store, which while not expensive, was actually quite nice. Thank you to Michael and Lee for entertaining us!
Shopping in Phillipsburg: There is great duty free shopping a short walk away in Phillipsburg. The web site says that it’s just a 10 minute walk to Phillipsburg, however, that is to the edge of Phillipsburg. If you want to walk to the other end (near the pier), it will take longer (30-40 minutes). It is a nice walk, and although people will try to sell you stuff on the Phillipsburg boardwalk, they don’t harass you if you just keep walking.
Duty Free Alcohol: You can get Crown Royal for as little as $15US/bottle and Courvoisier XO for $60US/bottle. Bring cash, as these deals are usually only offered as cash transactions.
Jewelry Shopping: The jewelry store on the resort has a pretty good selection, and very competitive prices, after checking out the prices in Phillipsburg, I ended up buying at the resort (less pressure, good price, and the style I wanted). If you go into Phillipsburg, you’ll find that about half of the stores are jewelry stores. There is a lot of variety, and a lot of pressure to buy. Just don’t accept the first price they give you. There is often a bit of room for negotiation, but not too much, so don’t push it. If you have cash, ask if there is a discount available if you pay cash. If you do decide to buy something, see if they have an office or outlet near your home…some do, and this allows you to get the item serviced free of charge after you get home.
Beach: The beach is nice, but not amazing. The sand is made of broken sea shells and it’s a bit rougher than the fine-grain sand that you get on some of the other beaches. The water is not calm either – lots of waves crashing up onto the shore, which I really like – it just isn’t for non-swimmers. If you do go into the ocean, grab a pool noodle from the towel desk…it lets you float about without too much effort.
Pool: there are a few pools, but my favorite is the one in the Mirimar wing. Most people don’t realize it’s there, so it’s often empty. We had it all to ourselves (mind you, it wasn’t high season yet). The swim up bar is nice too – the infinity edge of the pool provides a really good view of the beach and ocean.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, stay in a suite in the Mirimar wing - it's quieter, and all rooms have a s...
1  Thank Emily B

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. We value and appreciate all of your comments, and we will make every effort to improve in the areas mentioned. Thank you for making mention of the staff, they will be motivated even more. We truly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

First room selection is everything here. We stayed using rci and our first ocean side studio room was right off the dining room which made us very uncomfortable. Listening to people file in and out,the early morning bacon smell, the absolute lack of privacy, and the sound of the booming music ( more on that later). The next day we were able to move around the corner and down the hall to the most pefectly located room that made you feel like you were on the water. Speaking of water the hallway was lightly flooded almost daily. The hall would fill with smoke during hour.m(clean the exhaust vents). It was so bad I had to call the front desk and ask if the place was on fire. Her care less question to me was what kind of smoke is it? Hmmm, I don't know but maybe it would be worth checking out. People's safety is not a major concern here. During several strong lightning storms some young kids were in the outdoor jacuzzi. Let the front desk know. They did not care. I know....they have parents. This facility has about a 50/50 mix of good people who care, and those who care less. The thing I could really not understand is why they set up a loud speaker system and a guy with a microphone up right in the middle of this nice relaxing beach. It was sooooo annoying. I can still hearbthe boom, boom, boom in my head. Their daily activities were straight out of a senior center playbook. (bingo and water arobics). This hotel offers all inclusive packages. Gold bracelet for inclusive, white for not. First who wants to wear a bracelet all week? Second nobody looks at them anyway. I watched plenty of non inclusive people eating and drinking for free. I also noticed the staff locks on to what I call vulnerable people and wisks them away to other casinos and such. Not sure what is up with that but it probably was not in the guests best interest. So here's the rub. The beach is beautiful, the hotel not bad. Keep it simple, peacful and let people relax which is why they go there. Get rid of the bad sound coming from bad speakers and the dude who gets way to personal with people. Final thoughts... Island not that nice compared to others. You can't even lock the doors to your car at the beach without fear of the windows being broken. The rental company gave us the heads up as well as local police. Local restaurants pad your credit card bill. Better choices available on other islands.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tellithowitis06111
alexlynch, Guest Relations Manager at Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. We value and have taken note of all of your comments. We can see that you met with some challenges during your stay and we apologize for not being able to fulfill your needs. If you desire to return to the island, we will always welcome you back warmly.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

This was a great experience. It was amazing, hotel service was excellent. I would recommend it to all of my friends. They should take a trip to St. Maarten to experience warmth of the island and the excellent service of Sonesta Great Bay's staff. Kudos to the general manager and his staff for excellent service. I shall certainly return again to the island and this resort.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
alexlynch, Guest Relations Manager at Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. We appreciate all of your comments and truly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Let me start by saying we were there Dec. 15 though 26 2013 and had an ocean view room. Check in was fast and easy. We went to the lobby bar and we met Owen super great guy (dry sense of humour) and he is hilarious. The have many different types of liquor and not only local. We had Floreen help us with our seating in buffet and restaurants and she was always like a mother to us. The food was very good and we could always find something to our taste. For lunch we mostly went to the snack bar where Giovanni made great pizza and we even asked if we could get a vegetable or an all dressed and on both occasions we were satisfied. Jonathan would serve the drinks, he was just a bundle of joy on 2 legs great kid. Breakfast at the buffet even had smoked salmon every morning eggs to your desire, pancakes and waffles etc. Say hello to Akeem he was our waiter at the buffet at multiple occasions I think he is new at this so maybe a little nervous but he literally runs to get what you need. You will have a blast with Sheldon, Claudia and Abel at the pool bar. All the entertainment staff was awesome but did not get all their names. Sorry! We had the opportunity to meet Vicky at the front desk and she always greets people with her beautiful authentic smile. Oh! I was forgetting LIZ at the lobby bar one night. She was lots of fun.

We met many travelers from multiple places and they also are part of our stay being so great!!! We do hope to meet you all there again next year.

So all in all, close walk to Philipsburg shops, great weather, great staff, our great room was a dream come true with super comfy bed and awesome view, I guess that is why they call it GREAT BAY

Hope to see you all soon

Room Tip: Ocean View is a must
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Manon_Twin
alexlynch, Guest Relations Manager at Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. We value and appreciate all of your comments and our staff are motivated to see their names mentioned. We truly thank you from the bottom of our hearts and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

We spent a lovely week at this hotel in St.Maarten. The setting is spectacular and the property is well maintained. There were many highlights but what really struck us was the staff at the hotel. Rodcliff, one of the managers went out of his way to make our trip as enjoyable as possible.Special mention for Michael, who engineered some wonderful cocktails and showed us the island. He is friendly and helpful, and a credit to the hotel.
I strongly recommend a visit to this lovely island and The Sonesta Great Bay is an excellent choice.

2  Thank mauiHamilton

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. We appreciate all of your comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

I stayed from Nov 28-Dec 10. From checkin to check out, it was a great vacation. The reno’s are a nice face-lift for Sonesta. Let me break it down for you:

Check-in was quick and efficient. I got my room (on the 1st floor mountain view) Perfect size for me as I was traveling solo this time, King bed, flat screen, large stand up shower, in room fridge for drinks and such, balcony, and safe which was free of charge to use. Now the hotel didn’t stock anything but soda and water in the fridge but you could always get beer from the bar and stock it yourself. Also every other day housekeeping did come by to see if you needed anything for the fridge and they always had plenty beers too. Now, being a mountain view on the first floor the view wasn’t much, but how much time do you actually spend in your room? I was in my room to just to sleep and shower so it was fine for me. If you ask me, save your money on the ocean view and just hit the beach, plenty to view all day long!

Also note, for those who like to keep in touch via Wi-Fi, the charge is quite a bit – I believe it was $80USD for a week and the code you get is only available for one device, you cannot use the same code for multiple devices Ie. phone and tablet. I have a Sonesta Travel Pass account with which Wi-Fi is included, so if you’re not booking as a package, this will come in handy and I recommend you sign up. (Apparently if you book a package ie. Sunwing, the hotel will not honor your Travel Pass number, this happened to me last year). The Wi-Fi worked most everywhere, even on the beach, but best reception was in the lobby. It was hit and miss in the room, but could also have been due to my room being on the 1st floor. The only issue I found was that the Wi-Fi didn’t stay signed in on my phone so I had to enter the code a few times a day.

During my stay I encountered a couple issues with my room .The room key did not work quite a few times and I had to go up to the front desk to have it reprogrammed. Another time the actual key card system on the door was down and I had to be let into my room with an actual key by front desk. The front desk (especially Roy, thank you!) and maintenance and even housekeeping at times were good about taking action to help me get in and out and worked fast to get the room “key card” ready for me the next day. We even had a day where the water was coming out of the taps brown, (pipe issues that occur from time to time as I was told) but the issue was rectified again same day and water was back to clear. All in all, these things were of minimal impact to me and did not really disturb my vacation in any way.

The beach was amazing, plenty chairs to lounge in the sun, Oceanside, or by the pools. The sand is not like you’ll find in Mexico or Dominican, as its crushed sea shells for the most part but the view and ocean more than make up for that. Water was always warm, even at night (if you get a chance, take a dip, it’s really refreshing!) I do recommend sunscreen as you can burn. My skin is naturally brown, and I brought Hawaiian Tropics Sheer Touch Lotion SPF 50 and still came home with a dark tan. Also recommend Hawaiian Tropics Lime Coolada After Sun Moisturizer. This really helps especially if you happen to be like me and peel “after” your vacation and not during.

The buffet was great for the most part, I think after a couple days though, everyone gets tired of buffet food for breakfast, lunch AND dinner. Dinner was always themed so it was never the same; Caribbean night (my fave), Mexican night, Italian night…and so on. I really must recognize the chefs for some great items (jerk pork and curry chicken roti!!) and ALL staff that ever served me in the Bayview Buffet, especially Edsyrio, but I have to say anyone that served me always did so politely and with a smile…fantastic service! I would also like to thank Patricia, the buffet supervisor, who took care to bring me an island remedy of “bitters with club soda” for a sore throat I had one day. Throat was instantly relieved and I carried on with my day!!

Now if you didn’t want to eat in the buffet for lunch, there was the snack bar “tre assi pizzeria”, that had varieties of pizzas, salad, wings and Panini’s. Special thanks to Andy and Alexandra for always getting my Caesar right with the extra lemon and for the amazing service. Also to Gilberto, who always greeted me with a huge smile and always took care of my needs when eating at the snack bar no matter how big or small. Now the snack bar was also open after dinner (11p-1a) for burgers, hot dogs and fries for anyone interested in a late night snack. BIG thank you to Fernando for being so friendly always making me a huge plate of fries!

The restaurant on site (il pescatore seafood restaurant) was amazing! The crab cakes were my favorite. Very flavorful and beautiful plating and everyone that I spoke to who ate there prior to me quite enjoyed their meals start to finish! I didn't get a chance to try the water’s edge restaurant (Italian) but I heard good things about it from other people on the resort who did eat there.

Now with three bars on the resort, there is no shortage of drinks! Lobby bar, Bay view Bar and Swim Up bar by the infinity pool. The bartenders were amazing! Special shout out to Marcia (makes the best mudslides), Michael, Destin, Sheldon (makes the best shots on fire!) and Jose for taking wonderful care of me and for also helping me keep my in-room fridge constantly stocked with Heinekens!

On to the entertainment…anyone who has been to Great Bay already knows the staff will do all they can to keep you entertained, whether it be water aerobics, daily bingo (always cool prizes to be won), flip cup, beach volleyball, karaoke…and the list goes on. At night, the hotel had different performers come in and do a show, which was nice. And after, a little disco on the pool floor which was great too, but it would have been nice to have the music going a little later into the night instead of being turned down at 11p especially since their resident DJ played a great mix of music, new and old. The Animators themselves are very friendly and will do all they can to ensure you enjoy your vacation. Proper respect to Chantal, Maria, Shanella, Edwin, David, and Denroy for always keeping things live at the resort. If it wasn’t for all of you, I’m sure I would have had an ok vacation, but you all made it one I’ll never forget and I can hardly wait to come back!

Wanna get off the resort? Rent a car and drive around! You’ll read this on many “things to do” sites online but to get a true feel of the island, this is a must. For every 37 miles of the island there are 37 beaches (and some nude if that’s your thing)! To drive the whole island only takes two hours. FYI – Hertz counter is available at the hotel but they charge $50/day just for a small 2 person car. If you can, get a good connection via hotel staff, and you can get a car for $35/day or even $100 for the week.

A couple of us decided to have dinner off the resort one night and we went to iZi Ristorante Italiano. Really remarkable food, beautifully plated and just delicious! We had Salmon Carpaccio, Italian Sausages for appys, Mahi Mahi, Chicken Parmesan, Shrimp on Pasta, and Gnocchi in Pesto Sauce for mains and then Cheesecake for dessert. Plan to spend at least $40-60 per person depending on how much and what you order. But the options are plentiful!

Go shopping – ITS DUTY FREE! Philipsburg is a 10min walk and there are shops galore depending on what your looking for, ie, Jewelry, Alcohol, cigars and cigarettes (cheap compared to US and CA duty free prices) nice boutique shops, perfume shops, etc…many stores will actually give you a free drink just to come in their shop and look around. Now, my thing is I always buy a pair of Nike's when I head down to St Maarten, and most times its from Sport Caribbean on Back Street. If that’s your thing, head to that shop. If you are buying sports apparel anywhere else just make sure it’s real as you will come across some places that sell knock-offs and don’t be afraid to bargain.

Head back towards the airport and stop at the Sunset Beach Bar for drinks and dancing. The DJ is always spinning and dance floor full of people. If that’s not your thing, take your drink down the beach and watch the planes come in and take off, just be prepared for jet blast to cover you in sand – and hold on to whatever you can! After watching the planes you can go over to Sonesta Maho and either hang out there (if you’re staying at Great Bay already) or visit some of the shops there.

You can also take a ferry over to Anguilla from either the Dutch side (airport) or French side (Blowing Point). I have yet to do this – each time I go I have so much fun in St Maarten itself that I just don’t wanna leave.

So there you go, a whole novel on my most recent trip but I hope it helps. One piece of advice when you’re traveling anywhere, not just St Maarten – don’t have high expectations and you won’t risk being disappointed.

Happy Travels!! 

Room Tip: If you want Ocean view, floor 4 and up. If you don't care, save your money and get a mountain vi...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
15  Thank aj p

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. Your review was quite extensive and covered a whole lot, which we do appreciate. You have become our Marketing Executives. We are glad to had a wonderful time and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Guest Relations

Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
#7 of 12 in Philipsburg
Holland House Beach Hotel
Holland House Beach Hotel
#2 of 12 in Philipsburg

Been to Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa? Share your experiences!