My three girlfriends and I wanted a tropical getaway for the holidays and booked this trip a month in advance. We didn't expect too much because the cost was pretty reasonable. This resort is by no means luxurious, but it's very nice and pleasant! I have to say overall we were pleased with our experience. The place is small, quaint and very manageable. The town, Philipsburg, is a 10 minute walk along the beach where you can find cute stores and restaurants. The infinity pool is beautiful and you can walk down the steps right to the beach.
As expected, the staff was a little slow but that's Caribbean time for you! My brother tried to buy us a bottle of champagne to be there upon arrival and didn't happen until the next day after he called again. The staff at the front desk didn't appear to be too organized or on top of things. Regardless, the staff was very nice and friendly. They were helpful when one girl needed to call a doctor and find a pharmacy. The rooms were cleaned but never fully stocked with towels, but the cleaning service always came back to bring more towels eventualy.
Also to be expected, the food was not very good, but still doable. None of us are foodies by any means, but we all agreed it wasn't great. The desserts looked delicious but none of them were actually good at all. It would be helpful if the wait staff were better trained, particularly in the specialty restaurants. We were happy to leave the resort our last night to eat out at a restaurant with good quality food (definitely go to Grand Case for a great French meal).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa is a serene Caribbean haven - and St. Maarten’s premier, limitless all-inclusive, adults-only resort. Delivering a new level of sophistication and style, the elegant destination hotel is situated on a mile-long white-sand beach, overlooking Great Bay and the sparkling sea. With endless amenities and personalized service, the resort invites guests to unwind at three swimming pools, four restaurants, four bars, a spa and the Golden Casino for the ultimate vacation experience complimented by stellar service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort And Casino
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Hotel Philipsburg
- St Martin Great Bay Hotel
- Sonesta Philipsburg
- Great Bay Beach Hotel
- Philipsburg Sonesta
- St Maarten Great Bay Hotel
- Hotel Sonesta Great Bay Beach
- Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa St Martin / St Maarten/Philipsburg