“Loved Sonesto Great Bay Resort”

Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Loved the location...beautiful protected bay to swim in while watching giant cruise ships in the distance. Nice walk down the beach to Philipsburg to shop and work off a little of the extra calories consumed. The food at the resort was excellent and there was good variety. The pizza place was so handy and tasty. Staff were friendly and attentive.
The pools could be a little warmer.
Make sure you do the Rhino Safari rubber boat tour and snorkel. We are already planning our return trip.
Larry and Paula
Niagara on the Lake, Canada

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper avoid rooms near the front desk as some late night revelers can wake you...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Larry D
alexlynch, Guest Relations Manager at Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. We appreciate all of your comments and truly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Guest Relations

Write a ReviewReviews (4,333)

Reviewed 21 January 2014

My family visited Sonesta the week of January 4, 2014. It was incredible! We loved how open the lobby was and how beautiful all the views were. The location was absolutely fabulous! We loved the short walk to all the shops in Phillipsburg and the beautiful Great Bay.

The service is great. The wait staff was so nice and friendly and we're always polite. The bar staff was slow and often unfriendly.

I was most impressed about how clean the hotel was. There were always people keeping up with the grounds.

I highly recommend getting an ocean view room above the 5th floor. The view is incredible! It is definitely worth the extra money.

We did stop over at Sonesta Maho and we're disappointed with the staff as they were very unfriendly but the food was much better. There was also TONS of sound from the planes that were constantly flying in that totally ruined our relaxation.

My family and I look forward to going back to visit Saint Martin and stay at Sonesta Great Bay!

Room Tip: Get an ocean view. It's definitely worth the extra money!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Emily N

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. We value and appreciate all of your comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

My wife and I are from Toronto and we were at the resort from December 15-23. My wife had chosen this place because she had been to both the Sonesta resorts on this island prior to this trip. She raves about the service of Sonesta - and she was right.

Our room was decorated with flowers and balloons; a chilled/iced champagne bottle with fruit was waiting for us upon check-in because they were made aware by Sunwing of our wedding anniversary. We were provided a room with beautiful views of the gardens and pool. Throughout our stay, we found the entire staff extremely friendly and accommodating to our special and specific needs - the bar folks, dining room, housekeeping, front desk staff etc. were all consistent and professional in exceeding my expectations.

The hotel experienced a minor water issue on a couple of nights but their Guest Experience Manager Kerisha Williams was extremely sympathetic and without hesitation made up for the minor inconvenience in many ways. We later found out that some of our other friends were also extremely pleased with Kerisha and her pleasant and "guest-first" approach to handling unavoidable situations. Kerisha even followed up with a call after our return to ensure we were satisfied.

Although our plans were to return to the Sonesta Great Bay on our next trip, the personal service at their Maho Beach location as well as the wonderful surroundings have locked us back in this quaint village. Kerisha and all the staff - thank you for a memorable vacation. We will see you soon later this year.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Bob-Nina-Kapani

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. While you chose to stay at our sister resort, where you had a wonderful stay, W are glad that you got the best of both. We still look forward to your visit on your return stay.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

My daughter and I visited st Maarten in Dec and stayed for 10 days.The hotel was in a great location..spotless..great food and the most wonderful employees..Vicki at the front desk most accommodating...Liz, Owen and Sheldon..great bartenders..Denroy and Michael at the pool getting everyone involved and so many more that I don't know their names..I am thankful for all that we met...can't wait to return next Xmas....Antonio's from Canada

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Janice A

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. We appreciate the mention of so many of our team members but most of all we are glad that you had an enjoyable stay, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Our trip and hotel was fantastic. It started immediately..Allon the bellman was pleasant and smiling when we got out of the cab and gave us all a big island welcome...Vicky our customer care agent at the front desk was awesome...she went out of her way to make us feel welcome, right up to our cool mint towels upon arrival.....Our room was a perfect ocean view room which was spectacular. The drinks were great...Sheldon made anything we wanted and every drink was delicious. Denroy the entertainment supervisor was fantastic...he made sure he kept us informed with all the events going on during the day and at night. Great personality and very outgoing. The food was remarkable, all the other amenities of the hotel were exceptional. Our cleaning lady Jillian did an awesome job cleaning our room daily and went out of her way to leave extra towels. I cannot say enough about our Hotel.....Rosalee and Carl the managers even became friends with us....Everyone was just so outgoing....we entered as strangers but left with a new family of friends!!!! Thanks Robin and Rick Rizzotti Haverhill, MA

Room Tip: Definitely request an ocean view room on the top floors!!! Just beautiful!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Robin C

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. We value and appreciate all of your comments and we truly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

This has been our 3rd visit and again we were thoroughly taken care of by the staff at this great resort. Food and beverages were excellent again and the close vicinity to Philipsburg to be able to walk to the shops makes this an awesome vacation destination. We will be back. Thanks for taking such good care of us. Al & Karen

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Karen M

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at the Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort. We appreciate all of your comments and we look forward to welcoming you on your 4th trip back.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

Best vacation ever for us. The staff was very friendly and all willing to help you with anything. My special thanks to the following Alejandra Lynch for all the e-mails. Was so nice to meet you in person. To Edrick our bellman who was so attentive to our needs when we arrived at such a late hour. You outdid yourself. To Denroy, Edwin? Maria...you kept us all entertained in the after noon which was a treat. Specially when I won the bingo and the fishing games. Maria I hope all your future dreams come true with your education and do not forget (ORRWHAT) Thanks to you too for the last minute shopping for me. Keep in touch! To Micheal, oh I forgot GIOVANNI since I am a Lady HA HA your tour of the island was more than we could have wanted. You taught us a large amount of the history of your island and the places you took us was fantastic. Still using the bitters thanks for the tip! Has anyone else answered 3 questions right? Sorry but I still think you look like Denzel Washington. To Florita...your special care and service at meal time was a true mark of dedication to your guests. Love your angel pin. To Kim and Maurico thanks for doing the running for us. I know if we were doing the leg work for all the drinks we had I'm sure we would have stumbled a few times. To Claudine? your drinks were excellent. To Roland the security man, thanks for the hours of conversation we had over the week. My shells are on my desk. I know this is only a few of the many employees we associated with but please do not by upset with me as I have forgotten many of your names. My congratulation to all of you. Well done!!
Sonesta G>B> is the best. Food was always good. If you can not find something to eat then you should stay at home. Andy makes the best ham and pineapple pizza! Hotel is clean. The rooms with the ocean view are amazing. To watch the ships come in at 6am is a treat. One bigger than the next I found. We stayed in 509 and the view was the best. All staff were friendly and happy to chat at any time. I could only find one thing that bothered me while there and it is this. Their is a small ledge to the ceramic tile outside around the hotel. I myself,and I saw many others stumble off or trip up on this lip. I did bring it to Karl's attention and offered a suggestion that a bright line be painted and the edge so that you knew a drop was there. SO if you visit this resort please watch your step!! Well Sonesta Great Bay what more can I say but BRAVO and Thanks for the wonderful memories

Room Tip: Go for an ocean view room 5th floor and up.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank orrwhat

Dear Deb & Vicki,

Thank you for taking the time to post the review you warned me about on your departure day. It is really appreciated. You really got to know so many of our great team members who made your trip a memorable one. We have taken note of your concern and will handle it. We truly look forward to welcoming you back to the warm and friendly Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort.

Guest Relations

Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
3 mi away
#2 of 8 in Grand Case
L'Esperance Hotel
L'Esperance Hotel
#7 of 12 in Philipsburg

Been to Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa? Share your experiences!