“Nice vacation but very poor service.”

Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
“Nice vacation but very poor service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

We do all inclusive every year in different places. Every place we stay give service charge to the staff. This hotel does not. It keeps service charge that customers pay. Therefore staff expect customers to give tips for all service. If you don't then your service experience will suffer as your stay goes on. This hotel should not charge service charge and let customers give their own tips. Service would improve and staff wouldn't be so unhappy and so unapproachable. We loved Saint Marteen as an Island but we will not be returning to Sonesta hotel.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Dervilabowler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,532)
  • Hungarian first
Ogdensburg, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

The stay was excellent! The staff was excellent!! Every detail was addressed. The resort was clean,well maintained, had a great beach!. We liked the adult only and found people really friendly.
Staff was excellent!! Food service was flexible with dietary restrictions,and meals were delightful.
I would return to this resort,recommend it highly. We used the local vans to bring us around the island, and it costs a couple bucks. Shout out to Pauline,Innocence , Shuana, Marcia, Cleo ,Patricia, and Virginia! Sorry if we left someone out..entertainment staff did a great job. We enjoyed dancing under the moon lite. Thanks to all.

Room Tip: I have serious back issues,and our room had a tub. It was a large tub and my husband assisted me out...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Virginia S
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

This is a gorgeous property on a stretch of beach with the bluest water in the world--let me rephrase that, the water is TURQUOISE! I love that this is an all-inclusive resort with an ultra-friendly and helpful staff--especially love the social media director Kiran P. who is super-hospitable. The entire staff goes beyond their job description to help you, whether you need more shampoo in your room or a referral for a four star meal outside of the property. There is no need to leave the property for meals, though, as this has some of the best fare that I have ever had at an all-inclusive resort. So besides the great staff, high quality diverse food choices and awesome beach, I have to add that the rooms are HUGE and probably the most "bang for your buck" you can get on this idyllic island! I stayed in and island view double bedroom room (which is cheaper than the beachfront view rooms) and the views were still a tropical knockout. I could not make a better recommendation for a St. Maarten hotel, especially if your budget is $200 a day or less for food and accommodations and you want a central location. Killer pool here, too--the water is so warm and they send around plenty of exotic poolside drinks...you will hate to ever have to move out of the comfiest lounge chairs ever!

Room Tip: The island view rooms are the best bang for the buck--and I promise you that the scenery will be gor...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank anne241
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

Upon arrival (Saturday - which also seems to be the busiest arrival/departure day) we were greated by the lobby concierge (cannot remember his name) and he was great. The front desk staff left a lot to be desired. We had a Jr Suite - we ended up on the first floor (by my request) only to find out the first floor is lower than the lobby level b/c of the steps down to the beach/ocean and then to find out our Garden View was looking at the street and becuase we were below street level we looked at a brick "egress wall". We called the desk as I was not okay looking at a wall for 7days. We got moved over to the "apartment tower/side" that had a never ending hot and humid hallway, leading to a broken elevator so we had to haul our luggage up the stairs and then keep walking down another hallway to go up another half flight of stairs. Room was nice - oceanview BUT I was not going to walk 15/20 minutes to my room each time I went somewhere...so we moved again...back to the Jr Suite on the 5th floor - view was of the street on the entry side of the hotel. Not excited about the room but after an hour and a half of moving...it was going to work. Some rooms were renovated, not sure if we had one or not - ours was tired. Food and Beverage staff was hit or miss, some great and some not great at all. Bartendars at the pool bar were grouchy every day. Activity staff was entertaining every day. Buffet had good food and good selections. The other 2 restaurants that you can chose from were not great options. We ate out for dinner 3 of our 7 nights and same thing for lunch we were gone 3 days. The location of the resort was great, the beach and the two pools were great. You can walk the beach to Phillipsburg with no problem! Overall quite disappointed - had the staff been better I would have probably overlooked everything else. (You can tell which guests have been coming back year after year - the staff knows them and takes care of them, as a new guest you were overlooked all the time).

Room Tip: The Garden View rooms are not garden view - they look at the street. The Jr Suite has a garden view...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Chatham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

My friend and I go to a different carribbean island every other year and stay at an all-inclusive. We like not having to cook or worry about shelling out cash every time we want something to eat or drink. This trip ranks right up there as one of the best. The hotel staff go out of their way to be helpful and friendly. Each day I was asked " was there anything they could do to make us more comfortable/happy?". We did the water aerobics with Denroy, the leader of the activities team. A great guy who took time to get to know us. There were many activities and nightly entertainment. Lots of people danced, both couples and singles. I thought the average age was younger than anticipated. Food was great. I don't know what people expect. There was something for everyone all day long. Burgers, pizza and salads during lunch...lunch buffet with salads galore, always some sort of fish and meat and chicken, and dinner at either restaurant or buffet was great. We ate at piscatore (the fish restaurant) 3 times. I had scallops, chicken and the steak. So it is not all seafood. Italian restaurant was just as good if not better. Dining outdoors in 78 degree f temps is my idea of a vacation; especially with a blizzard going on at home. Cruise ships were fun to watch. Phillipsburg is a nice walk to town with local shops. Finally, we met some really wonderful people who we hope we'll cross paths with again some day. So in summary, a fantastic trip for unwinding, relaxation, and rejuvenation.
I feel fortunate to be able to go to St Maarten on a vacation. So no complaints from me!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank AML50
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

I recently returned from the Sonesta Great Bay Resort in Sint-Maarten and had so much fun. Overall the staff were all very helpfull and friendly. Denroy Animation supervisor did an excellent job. I enjoyed his water fitness classes at the pool every morning. I had a wonderfull vacation. I will definitely go back to this resort.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Majorqua
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

My girlfriend and I went to Sonesta for a quick getaway in February to get away from the bad weather on the east coast. This was my first time in St. Maarten and I didn't know what to expect but I read some good reviews. First the Hotel staff is SUPER friendly, always making sure we had everything we needed (even if we didn't need it). I'm a guy that likes great service, especially if I'm spending my hard earned money. I must say they delivered nothing less than grade "A" service. If you're staying here, make sure you get the Oceanfront view, because, well simply because the view is breathtaking, & the room is a bit bigger than the other rooms and the bed and pillows are very comfortable. One of the highlights for me was the poolside server who would bring those amazing rum punches while relaxing in the sun. The food was also excellent, and the hotel has entertainment every night of the week so you can literally just enjoy St. Maarten from your hotel. That alone will make me go back. Also, make sure you get the couples massage, you'll probably go to sleep and start drooling from being so relaxed, but hey, when is THAT ever a bad thing ?!!?! I'm definitely coming back here because it was totally worth it, with the helpful staff, and the peace of mind that you get from not only being on the beach, but everyone wanting to make sure you're having a great time. That will always go a long way in my book.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money for the ocean view room, It's totally worth it.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mike B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,224 reviews

Been to Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa? Share your experiences!