We really enjoyed our stay. Upon arrival at Great Bay we had a few requests that were immediately looked after by the front desk clerk - (whom I think was the manager). It was our 25th anniversary and we received in our room, a welcome card + champagne & chocolate strawberries (for a small fee). The resort is older but clean, with good food, service, & is in an excellent location.
On our third night we asked the same front desk clerk if we could transfer to Sonesta Maho, as we had spent the day there & enjoyed it. It seemed newer, had more clubs/activities and was in an area that had more things to do. We were told to check back in the morning to see if we could transfer to Maho. The next day we were told we had a transfer to Maho to an equivalent ocean view room for no extra charge. We rented a car at the Great Bay resort, travelled the island for the day then returned the rental car to the Maho resort. It was a fun day to see the island & allowed us an easy transfer to the Maho resort.
At Sonesta Mayo check-in was easy & we went to our room (#950). It was a pleasant surprise. We had a newer (upgraded) room, with an excellent view. The airport is beside the resort & seeing the planes land & take-off is a must. It also has a lot of bars & nightlife outside the front door. The Palm Grill is the beach restaurant & we received (above) excellent service there. The Host (Fevry) was great - he welcomed us & made sure we had what we wanted. I commented on the excellent Buffalo wings and Fevry brought out the chef to meet us.
The chef (Joseph) was so good to meet. He told us the wing sauce was a "special recipe" & also offered to cook us a "made to order" nacho dish that my wife enjoyed. All this & the waitress (Liaurie) was there to keep us happy & the bartender @ Palm Grill was always pleasant. On our last night the Maho resort had a beach BBQ & party. They announced our 25th anniversary & allowed us a dance on the beach.
We cant say anything bad about our stay @ both Sonesta resorts. We were always satisfied with the service & food.
Great Bay is a great relaxing resort in a excellent location for adults only. Its a little older but clean & with excellent service.
Maho is a newer resort (at least the area we stayed) & found it had more activity & nightlife. We were lucky that they had room to allow us to make a transfer so we had a stay @ both resorts. They said that a transfer may not always be possible, but we want to thank Great Bay for making that possible & our 25th anniversary a great memory.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa is a serene Caribbean haven - and St. Maarten’s premier, limitless all-inclusive, adults-only resort. Delivering a new level of sophistication and style, the elegant destination hotel is situated on a mile-long white-sand beach, overlooking Great Bay and the sparkling sea. With endless amenities and personalized service, the resort invites guests to unwind at three swimming pools, four restaurants, four bars, a spa and the Golden Casino for the ultimate vacation experience complimented by stellar service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, getaroom.com, HotelsClick, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort And Casino
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Hotel Philipsburg
- St Martin Great Bay Hotel
- Sonesta Philipsburg
- Great Bay Beach Hotel
- Philipsburg Sonesta
- St Maarten Great Bay Hotel
- Hotel Sonesta Great Bay Beach
- Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa St Martin / St Maarten/Philipsburg