Recently returned from St, Maarten Dutch side stayed at the Sonesta Great Bay Resort and Casino.
Upon arriving I was happy with the size not a big resort which I like. People seemed friendly enough room was adequate clean and comfy bed.
Good Spa had to use it right away for a massage - and not expensive.
Coffee in room which is nice - but when looking for menu for room service could not find one - called front desk, informed no room service available which was not great for us as we like breakfast in our room while on vacation.
Now, when I go away it's mainly for the sea and beach. AWFUL just AWFUL. Dirty and full of seaweeds and one day even poo - yes poo was floating around - just disgusting. There was a huge GAP between the beach that you sit on and the water.......so bad that many of us could not get in and out without assistance from someone else. There was no lifeguard to help either.
Two friends almost drowned just trying to get out one day. Needless to say they did not go back in. Very disappointing. The pool was fine, clean enough and always chairs available, and bar staff was friendly enough - most of them.
There is only one restaurant for breakfast lunch and dinner and then a pizza/sandwich type restaurant only opened at lunch and at 11 pm at night. No 24 hour food service available, no beer or alcohol dispensers in the room either. The food was good but after the second day you get sick of the same atmosphere and can tell that they were using last nights left overs for lunch meals as well, which I guess is ok they have to use it but it was very obvious. The theme nights were not well executed. The staff in the restaurant were hit and miss when we finally complained we were given their best servers (8 in our party). We were told the resort was recently purchased by new people and that a lot of changes were on their way. Not sure I want to go back to see them but maybe anyone considering this place should wait it out. All in all I enjoyed it cuz I didn't cook or clean and just laid around and we had a fun group of people with us. Not impressed, actually very disappointed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa is a serene Caribbean haven - and St. Maarten’s premier, limitless all-inclusive, adults-only resort. Delivering a new level of sophistication and style, the elegant destination hotel is situated on a mile-long white-sand beach, overlooking Great Bay and the sparkling sea. With endless amenities and personalized service, the resort invites guests to unwind at three swimming pools, four restaurants, four bars, a spa and the Golden Casino for the ultimate vacation experience complimented by stellar service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Priceline, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort And Casino
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Hotel Philipsburg
- St Martin Great Bay Hotel
- Sonesta Philipsburg
- Great Bay Beach Hotel
- Philipsburg Sonesta
- St Maarten Great Bay Hotel
- Hotel Sonesta Great Bay Beach
- Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa St. Maarten-St. Martin/Philipsburg