“wonderful holiday at guana bay beach villa”

Guana Bay Beach Villas
Danbury, Connecticut
“wonderful holiday at guana bay beach villa”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

i shared a villa at Guana Bay and had the most amazing time. The villa was beautiful, clean, and well maintined. The complex was good - love the pool and the views. This location is not in the main steam of the island's high life, but well within distance to all the hotspots and beaches. I would definitely recommend Villa #6 - Villia Alicia. Excellent!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank janicedanbury

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I will start by saying the owner had this review removed the first time I wrote it claiming we did not stay there so our review was not allowed. Let me correct that, We DID spend 1 night there! We had no other option upon arriving at 4pm February 14. I have photos detailing the claims in the review below. Tripadvisor is a place for honest reviews not just the reviews the owners want to see. Other units in this complex look very nice. Views are wonderful. location is quiet and out of the way. No complaints about the complex, just our unit was unacceptable. original review follows:
This was our fourth consecutive 2 week vacation to St Maarten and wanted to try a new place this time. All the booking went very smooth and owner was friendly and helpful. When we showed up we were astounded by the condition of the unit. Furniture was broken, chairs broken, ceiling fans broken, smoke detectors were removed, internet didnt work, sheets and pillows horribly stained, broken ceramic with mold in the bathroom, and the list goes on. badly in need of updating and maintainence.
As I say in the title the other units appeared ok, pool was nice, view was fantastic.
It took a couple weeks and a few emails but I will say the owner did refund all money and did appologize.
I cant speak for other villas in this complex but number 7 was rough. (perhaps due to it being for sale for a long time)

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank fisherking989

Travellers are raving about these Philipsburg hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Guana Bay Beach Villas was a HUGE reason why we enjoyed our St. Maarten vacation. Almost everytime I was in the pool, I was the only person in it. The setting is so tranquil. It's peaceful, not crowded at all and right on the ocean. Please note that on clear days, you have an AMAZING view of St. Baarths. Also, we had our very own private ocean view balcony which included 2 loungs chairs, a big table and chairs for meals. Tommy, the property Manager, was awesome! He was always available, gave us so much insight on things to do and even took us on a hike near the villas which led to the most beautiful nature pool I've ever seen. Guana Bay Beach is a great beach to walk along, the sound and view of the waves always managed to bring us a sense of serenity. We spent 2 weeks at Guana Bay and are absolutely looking forward to coming back!! Hopefully in Decemeber... *fingers crossed!!!*

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank BonnieBaby143
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This is our second trip to St. Maarten and first time renting at Guana Bay. I was very apprehensive at first after booking our villa and reading reviews. We were traveling with our kids, 2.5 years and 9 months.

PROS - Very quiet, easy access to two beautiful beaches, amazing cross breeze, huge deck, clean pool, loved the second bedroom on the second floor with king bed and own tv - gave us a nice break as my 2.5 year old would play up there by himself, and daily maid service (expect Sundays). Literally right on the beach, so hear the waves crashing. Beautiful sunrises (are kids were up early!). There were plenty of others renting units, so even though its off the beaten path its not isolated. Upon entering Guana Bay road, cute little convience store to get your most basic needs (i.e. water, beer, ice cream). No traffic traveling to the French side of the island.

CONS - The units are very tired. It all depends on what your standards are and what you can tolerate. You are in paradise afterall and the villa just served as a home base. I'm unsure how often our owner goes down and I felt like they rent it out, wait for complaints so they know what to fix. When we arrived neither of the TV's were working - so we left a note for the maid since we didn't meet her the first day. They got fixed immediately. Pro is the kitchen has everything you need which is also a con since there was no place to store the dry goods we brought. Plus we didn't want to leave much on the kitchen counters since there was ant/bug poison along the walls, kitchen counter and at least four raid traps on the floor in the kitchen. This made me nervous since my baby was already crawling and puts EVERYTHING in his mouth. We just had to be more vigiliant. The place was decorated with so many pillows, fake flowers and wicker furniture - all dust collectors. I rearranged the living room, kitchen and bedrooms - putting away all the extras (i.e. dust collectors) that I knew we wouldn't be using or would get dirty with two kids. My husband touched one of the three ceiling fans which was COVERED in dust, even though we had daily maid service. Found a dead cockroach under the bed as we pulled out the baby's pack and play. Stray dogs that roam the beach - my 2.5 year old was TERRIFIED of the dogs, but learned to be less frightened by the end of our trip. There is no oven - which I realized after buying a frozen pizza. My husband cooked it on the grill, which was leaking propane so we asked to get it fixed so we could sit outside with the kids while my husband cooked. The beaches aren't clean - lots of seaweed. Also there use to be a beach bar, which closed down a year ago. Abandoned construction right next door. We heard they were building a Casino, but now its just a half-completed building.

We found a cockroach on the second to last day of our trip crawling in our dishrack all over my baby's bottles, baby toys and baby utensils. We would open the two sliding glass doors and kitchen window (which don't have screens) to get a good cross breeze - we assumed the cockroach was an isolated incident and came through the kitchen window - so we didn't open it again and just ran the AC units more (there are 3 separate untis, one in each bedroom). Needless to say, this pretty much confirmed we won't be staying in Guana Bay Beach Villas again as I threw away all the baby's toys, bottle accesories, baby utensils that were in the drying rack. We do love St. Maarten though and prefer being were the crowds aren't. Our favorite beaches are Grand Case, Friar's Bay, Le Galion and Baie aux Prunes. With 37 beaches there is still a lot more to explore.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank aquaswim
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Upon reading preceding reviews I was very apprehensive. However, the villa was a pleasant surprise. Guana Bay beach Villas are located in a very quiet residential area of Sint Maarten and are accessible only by car. Accommodations are spacious and well appointed. Decor is a bit dated but villa was very clean. Full size kitchen and large sun deck were added bonus. Guana Bay is one of the smaller and less developed beaches, which is perfect if one is looking for a bit a seclusion. However, if you are in search of a resort vacation, it is not the place. The beach lacks any amenities, which is not a problem as it is steps form the villa. I have to note that if the person has limited mobility this inconvenience might be a deal-breaker. In general, if you are looking for a place to sleep and have a lazy vacation, this arrangement might work. If you are looking for an active vacation or resort-style accommodations, look elsewhere, Car is a must!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank YannaR
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We've travelled to many Caribbean islands over the last 30 years but none we like better than St. Martin. Dominica is adventurous but rustic, Puerto Plata is organized but loud, St Lucia is laid back and picturesque while Costa Rica is both lush and exciting...but we keep coming back to St. Martin. With 37 beautiful palm tree fringed beaches, too many jewellers to count and many exciting dining choices available, there is something for everyone on St. Martin. You can haggle over diamonds on Front Street in Philipsburg or work on your 'no-tan lines' look on Orient Beach, there is always something to do for daytime relaxation. For your evenings, you can view Anguilla from the deck at Il Nettuno Restaurant in Grand Case and enjoy a specialty, Linguine con vongole verace (Linguini with littleneck clams in a delicious white wine sauce) or walk a little futher to the Lolos, commonly called the 'chicken shacks' and try their fish, ribs and chicken BBQ, prepared the local way. We stay at Guana Bay Villas overlooking St. Bart's. A quiet yet convenient location for our home base as we tend to move around during the day to take in all of what this beautiful island has to offer.

Room Tip: All 2 bedroom suites come with a balconey that overlooks the pool and St. Bart's so I would reco...
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank write_stuff_2
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 29 March 2011

I just want to say that my fiance and my parents travelled here last month and I too was hesitant to go with all the negative comments online that are posted. However, I must say that I was very impressed with the place. I was expecting a dump. It was very clean and spacious and I loved it. It has two floors so my fiance had our own little getaway spot up there. The pool was absolutely gorgeous overlooking the ocean. The view was incredible, though it's not safe to swim in guana bay, the beaches were great to walk. And there are SO many other great beaches to explore by car. We were all very impressed. Though it may not be a 5 start resort, it was still very clean and accomodating. I would rate it definately an upscale 3 1/2 to 4 for sure! Also, the owners were absolutely great. Very kind and welcoming and helpful. Definately need a car to get around and enjoy the island. We had a great time!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank larissa072
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Grand Case Beach Club
#3 of 8 in Grand Case
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,762 reviews
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Been to Guana Bay Beach Villas? Share your experiences!