“Lowest cost, Low quality”

Joshua Rose Guest House
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I stayed there for 10 days with my wife in may/2012. It was the cheapest option in the island (US$ 70.00/day). The location is awesome, right in the Philipsburg downtown, where you can reach shops, beach, ATM and buses by walk. The minimarket downstairs helps a lot, when you need something cold to drink. The air conditioning and frigobar (despite being so old and rusty) worked very well.

However, when we arrived at the room, my wife cried. The place was really dirty. The bed sheet and the towels had spots that looked like blood stains. The floor was terrible. The internet didnt work in the first 02 days. The TV doesnt get any channel with minimum quality.

The bathroom was really dirty, as well. The shower is terrible, the water goes anywhere besides your body. The toilet doesnt seem clean at all.

We stayed there because it was the only place we could afford. If you are a single man, low cost, location and AC, may get you comfort enough. But with a girl/wife, and even with children, I dont recommend.

Room Tip: Test the AC.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rafael G

Reviewed 20 August 2011

I stayed here twice years ago and not recent to this review. It was a value place to stay. There were some issues but I really didn't complain about them. The bedding seemed really old and not very clean. The rooms didn't have good AC. But I was mainly out in beautiful St. Martin and it didn't matter that much. St Martin has beautiful beaches and great shopping. I would recommend Cupecoy Beach down after the airport or Orient Bay Beach. Also Dawn Beach is really beautiful at sunrise or sunset. All the beaches in St. Martin are great and easily accessible. Nobody owns the beaches here except the public - so you have access to them all. It's a great philosophy. You can park at any of the beaches and the hotel that may be on the beach is cooperative and lets you park there for free.

I wish the hotel would upgrade the bedding and make the AC work properly - so that's my only recommendation to the staff. Other than that the staff is friendly and I had no issues. They do run the hotel out of the grocery store - it's not the most professional of arrangements - but it is a value motel. It's very close to downtown - so it's a good location. I was able to park closeby without any issues. Not much else to say - if you're looking for value (cheap) this place is good. I think it's more suited to European's that go along with value based motels - not sure if most "Americans" or uglies would like this place. This is a basic motel there aren't any amenities like a pool. It's basic and just a room close to town. I actually did like it there - mostly because of the value. I'd go back when looking for a basic room.

Room Tip: A value motel
  • Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
6  Thank personallyme
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I stayed there to times and I felt the same, its close to all the shopping complex and very confortable for a getaway, Me and my friends stayed there for one week and the second time I went for the Christmas holiday and I felt welcome by everyone. One of the nights I got in there at 9:00 pm and my room was left for me and the rates are good for what you get in the room, most hotels you have to request a mini bar but there everything is there for you.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
9  Thank Sweetlips1990
Reviewed 12 March 2011

Joshua Rose Guest House is one of the friendliest, cozy, convenient, and well ran places I have EVER stayed at. I stumbled on the place on accident, and I am so happy that I did. It is a family run business, right in the heart of Philipsburg, and the staff made me feel like I was a part of their family. I would recommend JRGH to ANYBODY. It is a great place, and very affordable.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank omariferrari
Reviewed 2 November 2010

I stopped here in search of a room and didn't even get past the checkin process before I walked out. The place is dirty and gross the staff seem to careless about the guests so I moved on a found a wonderful place only a block away.

• Stayed: November 2010
4  Thank azchipka
Reviewed 8 August 2010

After some bad reviews here i made a reservation and yes; i like this place! Why? It is centrally located and everything is just a few minutes walking from here; the boardwalk with beach, restaurants, supermarkets and there are busses leaving in front to Marigot, the french quarter and the airport. This is not a luxury hotel, but it is clean and friendly staff. Internet was available and the overall experience was good! Sint Maarten is quiet most of the time. Only busy on the days when the cruise ships are in the port!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank RonRoffa
Reviewed 20 May 2010

It seems this hotel has gone down hill fast. I stayed here in January, they were accommodating and more than willing to make another reservation for me staying two weeks starting May 4, 2010. Nadia promised me she would have a room for me. Forget about making a reservation on the internet, on any of their websites, or calling and trying to talk to her. Don't even think about leaving a message because she doesn't respond, nor does she follow-up or call you back. She kept telling me that once I stayed there I was family and would always be treated as family. I wonder if she puts her family on the street when they show up? I was in the same boat the other guest was in... planned two weeks at their hotel only to show up and end up on the street. All Nadia could say was, "I'm sorry." What really upset me was Danielle told me to go across the street to Lucy's guest house for the night, and she would have a room for me the next day. Little Lucy's son charged me $65 when it was posted rooms were $45 only to have no electricity the whole night. Not that the air conditioner would cool the ratty rooms anyway. That was a ripoff!

The Josua Rose Guest House is very rundown, ratty curtains, broken furniture, no hot water when it rains, and rusted refrigerators. The beds, matresses, comforters and pillows were very comfortable. The TV only has a few channels and when Bernard wants to watch a sporting event, he changes the channel for all the rooms and that is what you have to watch. It was a godsend I had to find another place.

I would highly recommend the Sea View Guesthouse on the other side of town right on the beach, full cable TV, clean rooms, frig on request and they serve a sweet little full American breakfast in the morning for around $5. They were more than accommodating and the price is only a little more than the Joshua Rose. Also recommended is the Midtown Hotel two streets from the beach right in the heart of town.

So, don't waste your time trying to get accommodations at Joshua Rose as I think they only let family stay there when they come in from other islands. I couldn't find Nadia when I went looking for her, she is evasive, comes and goes as she pleases, the office is never open during regular business hours. You never know when to find her and when you try to settle the bill, the credit card authorization does not work so you have to come back only to go through the same "rat race" again with finding her. They desprately need to hire a professional manager if they want to stay in business.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
8  Thank Zimola
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
Mercure Saint-Martin Marina & Spa
Mary's Boon Beach Hotel and Spa
Horizon View Beach Hotel
Horizon View Beach Hotel
#7 of 12 in Philipsburg

Been to Joshua Rose Guest House? Share your experiences!