“Be aware!!”

Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Los Angeles, California
“Be aware!!”
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

If you book a room on expedia or Travelocity you get a charge on your credit card even "payment is due at check-in". (Fyi they only accept cash there) Neither travelocity nor hotel could track the charge. (it was about $55 in my case) We still don't understand why the rate was a lot more than it says on Travelocity.

However this place is in very convenient location (you can take a bus for $2 from/to the airport, marigot, maho etc) and the room was ok for the price.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Kay S

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 December 2013

The rooms are quite large, have decent beds and a decent airconditioning. There was no daily cleaning or breakfast, but you can call if cleaning is needed and you can have breakfast at the boardwalk. There is free wifi.
The location of this guesthouse is perfect, on Backstreet, just behind Frontstreet and the Boardwalk. The area wakes up early and you are in the middle of a busy street, so it can be a bit noisy. When the shops close it get's quite quiet. You can't park your car at the property, but there is free parking at the pond, maybe a 5 minute walk. There is no receptiondesk, you have to go into the supermarket with the same name. You can only use cash for payment.
There was actually no contact with staff, so I can't tell if they are helpful or not.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Diana F
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 16 May 2013

This place was loud and noisy, and the staff was absolutely unhelpful. I had a corner room right by the ice machine and was treated to noisy children stampeding back and forth across the balcony from 5 pm onward. I disliked checking in at the supermarket and being hit on by the grocery stockers. I also disliked being brushed off by the cashiers, made to wait for my check-in until the last minute, and having my reservation lost. The place was dirty and I stayed simply to make life easier for myself as I planned to vegetate on the beach most of the time, anyway. I do not recommend this place at all.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank BrookeAM

Travellers are raving about these Philipsburg hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 February 2013

I needed a room in philipsburg for two nights before moving on,as this place was listed on travelocity and expedia ,both large internet hotel booking sites I figured it had to be ok despite reading the reviews.
first ,check in at the supermarket at the cashier,s desk as local people also in line to pay for their shopping was a strange experience,I was told the room was ready 301 on the top floor .
I stay at many budget and basic hotels and as long as the room is clean I am happy enough ,however the room at joshua rose was anything but clean,the floor was filthy ,beds were made up but the sheets (bad condition)were reused from the people before (I found hair and the sheets were dirty ),the bathroom had a full basket of waste paper and towels thrown on the ground so in actual fact the room was not made up.
the only natural light came through the bathroom as the windows on the street side had metal shutters which seemed to be closed all the time as the pigeons use the window ledge outside as a resting place.
I had to run down to the street to move my car and told the cashier the room was not made up
on my return the bathroom was cleaned but the same sheets were still on the beds so i grabbed
my bags on told the manager i was checking out because of the conditon of the room.
I totally agree with the review from rafael g ,not sure what the other rooms looked like and did not want to find out either .
i moved down to the seaview which was a palace compared to the joshua.

Room Tip: I dont think there is any at this hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kevshar62
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 December 2012

My husband and I celebrated our 1 year wedding anniversary at the Joshua Rose Guesthouse. The staff were very informative, and very friendly. We were pleased with the room that we rented, there was t.v,fridge, air condition, and hot and cold water in the rooms. The bathroom&shower were clean, the kitchen on the first floor was also clean, and equipped for cooking-(if thats what you wanted to do).

This was not a 5 star hotel, if that's what you're looking for-that's what you would have to pay for on the island of sint maarten/st.martin. For the amount of money we spent-we were more than pleased with the outcome&our accomodations. Our reservations were made months in advance and we were accomodated as per our request. We even received compliments of the managment team- a lovely chilled bottle of rose wine that came hand delivered by the staff with 2 wine glasses to assist with our anniversary celebrations. Nadia and company-hats off to a job well done! I will never forget the 1st anniversary that I spent with my husband, and the Joshua Rose Guesthouse was a very important part of this anniversary...I hope to see you all again. Keep up the GREAT work!

Room Tip: This a an excellent location
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Simmy D
Curitiba, PR
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I stayed there for 10 days with my wife in may/2012. It was the cheapest option in the island (US$ 70.00/day). The location is awesome, right in the Philipsburg downtown, where you can reach shops, beach, ATM and buses by walk. The minimarket downstairs helps a lot, when you need something cold to drink. The air conditioning and frigobar (despite being so old and rusty) worked very well.

However, when we arrived at the room, my wife cried. The place was really dirty. The bed sheet and the towels had spots that looked like blood stains. The floor was terrible. The internet didnt work in the first 02 days. The TV doesnt get any channel with minimum quality.

The bathroom was really dirty, as well. The shower is terrible, the water goes anywhere besides your body. The toilet doesnt seem clean at all.

We stayed there because it was the only place we could afford. If you are a single man, low cost, location and AC, may get you comfort enough. But with a girl/wife, and even with children, I dont recommend.

Room Tip: Test the AC.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rafael G
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 August 2011

I stayed here twice years ago and not recent to this review. It was a value place to stay. There were some issues but I really didn't complain about them. The bedding seemed really old and not very clean. The rooms didn't have good AC. But I was mainly out in beautiful St. Martin and it didn't matter that much. St Martin has beautiful beaches and great shopping. I would recommend Cupecoy Beach down after the airport or Orient Bay Beach. Also Dawn Beach is really beautiful at sunrise or sunset. All the beaches in St. Martin are great and easily accessible. Nobody owns the beaches here except the public - so you have access to them all. It's a great philosophy. You can park at any of the beaches and the hotel that may be on the beach is cooperative and lets you park there for free.

I wish the hotel would upgrade the bedding and make the AC work properly - so that's my only recommendation to the staff. Other than that the staff is friendly and I had no issues. They do run the hotel out of the grocery store - it's not the most professional of arrangements - but it is a value motel. It's very close to downtown - so it's a good location. I was able to park closeby without any issues. Not much else to say - if you're looking for value (cheap) this place is good. I think it's more suited to European's that go along with value based motels - not sure if most "Americans" or uglies would like this place. This is a basic motel there aren't any amenities like a pool. It's basic and just a room close to town. I actually did like it there - mostly because of the value. I'd go back when looking for a basic room.

Room Tip: A value motel
  • Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
6 Thank personallyme
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
Sea View Beach Hotel
Sea Palace Resort
#6 of 12 in Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Been to Joshua Rose Guest House? Share your experiences!