Joshua Rose Guest House
Tamarind Hotel(Philipsburg)
Belair Beach Hotel(Philipsburg)
L'Esperance Hotel(Philipsburg)
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 April 2014

This is bare bones... less than 8 channels on the cable, a little noisy,could use a coat of paint, and new sheets. I give a very good rating for overall. The staff was welcoming and helpful to us. The proximity to the front street shops,beach,restaurants and bars is less than 5 minutes walk. We did our diving at Caribbean dive college and its less than ten minutes away. The bus is $2 stops directly in front or anywhere you flag them down.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Alex A
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

If you book a room on expedia or Travelocity you get a charge on your credit card even "payment is due at check-in". (Fyi they only accept cash there) Neither travelocity nor hotel could track the charge. (it was about $55 in my case) We still don't understand why the rate was a lot more than it says on Travelocity.

However this place is in very convenient location (you can take a bus for $2 from/to the airport, marigot, maho etc) and the room was ok for the price.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Kay S
Reviewed 1 December 2013

The rooms are quite large, have decent beds and a decent airconditioning. There was no daily cleaning or breakfast, but you can call if cleaning is needed and you can have breakfast at the boardwalk. There is free wifi.
The location of this guesthouse is perfect, on Backstreet, just behind Frontstreet and the Boardwalk. The area wakes up early and you are in the middle of a busy street, so it can be a bit noisy. When the shops close it get's quite quiet. You can't park your car at the property, but there is free parking at the pond, maybe a 5 minute walk. There is no receptiondesk, you have to go into the supermarket with the same name. You can only use cash for payment.
There was actually no contact with staff, so I can't tell if they are helpful or not.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Diana F
Reviewed 16 May 2013

This place was loud and noisy, and the staff was absolutely unhelpful. I had a corner room right by the ice machine and was treated to noisy children stampeding back and forth across the balcony from 5 pm onward. I disliked checking in at the supermarket and being hit on by the grocery stockers. I also disliked being brushed off by the cashiers, made to wait for my check-in until the last minute, and having my reservation lost. The place was dirty and I stayed simply to make life easier for myself as I planned to vegetate on the beach most of the time, anyway. I do not recommend this place at all.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank BrookeAM
Reviewed 28 February 2013

I needed a room in philipsburg for two nights before moving on,as this place was listed on travelocity and expedia ,both large internet hotel booking sites I figured it had to be ok despite reading the reviews.
first ,check in at the supermarket at the cashier,s desk as local people also in line to pay for their shopping was a strange experience,I was told the room was ready 301 on the top floor .
I stay at many budget and basic hotels and as long as the room is clean I am happy enough ,however the room at joshua rose was anything but clean,the floor was filthy ,beds were made up but the sheets (bad condition)were reused from the people before (I found hair and the sheets were dirty ),the bathroom had a full basket of waste paper and towels thrown on the ground so in actual fact the room was not made up.
the only natural light came through the bathroom as the windows on the street side had metal shutters which seemed to be closed all the time as the pigeons use the window ledge outside as a resting place.
I had to run down to the street to move my car and told the cashier the room was not made up
on my return the bathroom was cleaned but the same sheets were still on the beds so i grabbed
my bags on told the manager i was checking out because of the conditon of the room.
I totally agree with the review from rafael g ,not sure what the other rooms looked like and did not want to find out either .
i moved down to the seaview which was a palace compared to the joshua.

Room Tip: I dont think there is any at this hotel
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple