“Don't count on staying here!”

Joshua Rose Guest House
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Ladyw
“Don't count on staying here!”
Reviewed 20 May 2010

It seems this hotel has gone down hill fast. I stayed here in January, they were accommodating and more than willing to make another reservation for me staying two weeks starting May 4, 2010. Nadia promised me she would have a room for me. Forget about making a reservation on the internet, on any of their websites, or calling and trying to talk to her. Don't even think about leaving a message because she doesn't respond, nor does she follow-up or call you back. She kept telling me that once I stayed there I was family and would always be treated as family. I wonder if she puts her family on the street when they show up? I was in the same boat the other guest was in... planned two weeks at their hotel only to show up and end up on the street. All Nadia could say was, "I'm sorry." What really upset me was Danielle told me to go across the street to Lucy's guest house for the night, and she would have a room for me the next day. Little Lucy's son charged me $65 when it was posted rooms were $45 only to have no electricity the whole night. Not that the air conditioner would cool the ratty rooms anyway. That was a ripoff!

The Josua Rose Guest House is very rundown, ratty curtains, broken furniture, no hot water when it rains, and rusted refrigerators. The beds, matresses, comforters and pillows were very comfortable. The TV only has a few channels and when Bernard wants to watch a sporting event, he changes the channel for all the rooms and that is what you have to watch. It was a godsend I had to find another place.

I would highly recommend the Sea View Guesthouse on the other side of town right on the beach, full cable TV, clean rooms, frig on request and they serve a sweet little full American breakfast in the morning for around $5. They were more than accommodating and the price is only a little more than the Joshua Rose. Also recommended is the Midtown Hotel two streets from the beach right in the heart of town.

So, don't waste your time trying to get accommodations at Joshua Rose as I think they only let family stay there when they come in from other islands. I couldn't find Nadia when I went looking for her, she is evasive, comes and goes as she pleases, the office is never open during regular business hours. You never know when to find her and when you try to settle the bill, the credit card authorization does not work so you have to come back only to go through the same "rat race" again with finding her. They desprately need to hire a professional manager if they want to stay in business.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
8 Thank Zimola

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 10 March 2010

I went to this "hotel" after landing in St. Maarten and when I arrived it looked completely run-down from the street. I went in and the women at the desk of the grocery store said that they had no more rooms left and that they gave away my reservation. I arrived around 3pm, so there was no reason for them to assume I wasn't coming. Luckily, I had a friend that lived there that found a new hotel for me- he said that apparently they give away rooms a lot when cruise ships come in. DO NOT STAY HERE unless you want to take a chance on being HOMELESS in St. Maarten!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
5 Thank sweetshel86

Travellers are raving about these Philipsburg hotels

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 2 February 2010

Found this hotel from the LP guidebook. It has basic but clean rooms in a central location. I needed a place to crash after two weeks of crewing on a sailboat and this place was like a palace after the boat. Very friendly staff. Hot showers, cold AC, reasonably comfortable and clean beds, even a fridge in the room. What more can you want at this price ? Nadia in the front office was very friendly and helpful and even let me use the office computer to check email and print boarding passes. All the buses to Marigot, Mullet Bay etc. pass right in front. Its a stone's throw away from the beach. Grocery store on ground floor has all kinds food / drinks at very decent prices. Highly recommended if you want clean basic and affordable accommodations.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Junaido
Calgary
Reviewed 14 December 2009

Heart of St. Philipsburg, at the end of the Backstreet 7, this location is perfect to setup basecamp to explore the island. Clean rooms, friendly family run business, safe to store valuables plus second security door for late at night arrivals, fridge for beer/rum, and air conditioning. All the necessities were covered, and having a grocery store underneath was very convienient indeed! A block to the beach was just perfect. Super food at nearby restaurants! And you can find local bus transportation right out front. Highly recommend for the basic traveller who is out to explore or kick back, as case may be. Good value for being in the heart of Philipsburg. John, Calgary

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank looknsee4
Montreal
Reviewed 20 April 2009

I went to Joshua Rose guesthouse after reading the 3 other reviews, which gave me a good idea of what to expect. I was not disappointed at all for the price paid. Depending on the type of trip you want to do, this hotel might or might not be the one you are looking for. In our case, we were not looking for a luxury all-inclusive hotel since we wanted to travel all around the island to see the many exceptional sites on both parts (Dutch and French side). Hence, we needed a clean room to sleep and shower, and it was really adequate. It is ideally located in the heart of Philipsburg and really close to Great Bay beach (where all cruise ships stop). The staff was friendly and really helpful and always keeping our room really clean (we had new towels every day, the sheets were changed every day and the floors/bathroom cleaned every day. What is also interesting with that hotel is that you really feel part of the neighborhood instead of being isolated from local life. We really appreciated to feel secure at all times (as well as leaving our belongings in the room) and to live near the activity of Philipsburg. You also have access to a kitchen if you ask and there is a small fridge in each room.

I personally enjoy encouraging local people when I travel and sadly, there are not so many hotels of this type on the island (rather replaced by huge complex).

Other suggestions if you travel in St-Martin:

Renting a car in advance (they pick you at the airport) is definitely a good idea if you want to be able to visit the island and many secluded sites.

Dawn beach is not so far from Joshua Rose GuestHouse (need to go by bus, taxi or car) and a beautiful beach (sand, clear water, view, etc). The best is to park your car at Oyster Pond marina.

Baie aux prunes is a really charming beach, still unoccupied by bars and restaurants and not that frequented. A really good place to relax.

Anse Marcel is one of the most beautiful site of the island.

Grand Case is definitely a village to visit.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kleves
Joshua Rose Guesthouse
Reviewed 12 January 2009

I have been very pleased with my stay. Very affordable right in the heart of everything(casinos, jewelry, clothing, electronics, eateries, churches and much more). Feel like a real part of the island not just a visitor. There is a grocery store on the bottom floor for everyone's convenience, The owner's are most friendly and helpful. Feel very secure and safe in a very quaint environment. I will definitely stay here again.

Stayed January 2009
1 Thank yougotit
Germany
Reviewed 24 September 2008

It seems as though people are not maintaining their guesthouses. you open the closet and the inside is rotten. the mini refrigerator is rusty. towels are stained with hair on it. I could just go on and on but to make the long story short

I will not stay here again

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — dirty and rundown
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank lorelin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
Sea View Beach Hotel
Sea Palace Resort
#6 of 12 in Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Been to Joshua Rose Guest House? Share your experiences!