“Robbed at Sea Palace: No Response fromSea Plalace Owner”
Review of Sea Palace Resort

Sea Palace Resort
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Reviewed 22 July 2007

We were burglarized while staying at the Sea Palace, for thousands of dollars in merchandise. Don't stay there.

The owner has not contacted us about this horrible experience.

The manager only says there is nothing he can do about our stolen items.

The place is a dump.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank travelnique

Reviewed 5 July 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Sea Palace for our honeymoon July -August of 2006. We stayed in one of the Penthouses and had the jacuzzi and balcony. We loved the staff at the Sea Palace very accomadating and friendly. On Monday we attended the meeting for activities and went on the Happy Harold Tour. This was a great way to see the island in a Nut Shell he drove us around in his nice air conditioned van with his wonderful sense of humor. He took us for lunch with the lo los these are woman who are cooking ribs and chicken along with other lunch and dinner dishes to eat at a inexpensive price. We also did the snorkeling catamaran trip to Anguilla wonderful again and we did the dinner cruise along the coast of St, Maartan. We enjoyed every minute of both trips. We went to Ms. Cheri's Cafe for dinner one night there is also a show so funny with male impersonators. Just make sure that you ask the same cabby that was called from the front desk to pick you up at a certain time to bring you back to the Sea Palace. Also, we bought a lot of jewelry and souveirs for friends and family. We enjoyed buying liquor and making our own mixed drinks with our blender in the Sea Palace room. Front Street has a lot of great restaurants and bars. The only thing I would caution anyone on is to use your street smarts don't walk around on the streets behind front street especially alone, don't travel alone anywhere even during the day especially if you are a woman, and always use a cabby that is called from the front desk of the Sea Palace. Oh yeah and arrive to the airport about 3 hours before your flight to check in there because the process of checking your items and flights is very long. Enjoy your trip because I know someday I will be back to St. Maartan.

Stayed: July 2007
6  Thank Aharvey1031
Reviewed 25 June 2007

My husband and I went on our honeymoon in April and stayed at the Sea Palace through his parents' timeshare.

After reading other reviews and expecting the worst, I was impressed. Of course, it was nothing fancy and the blue tiles in the bathrooms definitely needed to be replaced, but I was happy overall.

We stayed in one of the "penthouses" upstairs. Our room was 2 levels with a kitchen, dining room, living room, and bathroom downstairs, and a very big bedroom and bathroom upstairs. There was a huge window that we could look out of from our bedroom with a beautiful view of the sea. There were also 2 patio doors downstairs that went onto a huge deck with a table and chairs and reclining beach chairs. We had a great view of the boardwalk and the hills. Our room was well decorated and clean.

We didn't feel entirely safe leaving valuables in our room when we would go out, but you can rent a safe. At night it gets very noisy with music from some sort of club next door, but it wasn't enough to spoil our trip.

We went to the onsite Chinese restaurant, The Pink Pearl, one night for drinks but the waitstaff ignored us and never served us, so we left.

The beach out front is very nice, and they provide chairs and umbrellas for free (most other places on the beach charge around $10-15 for the same thing).

On Monday mornings they have an orientation in the lobby and tell you about many activities that are available such as snorkeling and horseback riding. We did both, and were happy with both. We took our snorkeling trip on the Bluebeard to Prickly Pear Island off of Anguilla and loved it. We went horseback riding through Lucky Stables and had a great time. The only drawback to that was that we wore shorts since at the end of the ride you take your horse in the water (very cool), but there were many thorn bushes we rode through the whole trip, so we got very scratched up. The front desk made it easy to register for these activities. They also served coffee and crossaints. Everyone at the front desk was very kind. They had a raffle and I won a free manicure from the salon next door. They even gave away one free trip on the Bluebeard ($75 I think...?)

Our worst experience with our trip to St. Maarten was with the rental car. We signed up for a rental car for one day through the front desk of the Sea Palace and were very disappointed. DO NOT rent a car from MAYNARD RENTAL. We rented our car around 11am one morning and rode around the island during the day. (Note - it is very scary driving around the island because of the lack of traffic laws and stop signs, and all the huge hills and curves. Be very careful, but it's worth it.) Anyway, at 8 pm after having dinner at a restaurant near Simpson Bay we returned to our car to find a flat tire. We then checked the spare, which was also too flat to drive on. Because all the buses that went by were full for half an hour straight, we decided to rent a cab back to the hotel and had to cut our night short. We paid $50 for the car rental and then another $18 to get back to the hotel. A man at the front desk contacted the owner of Maynard rental and we were told we would be refunded our $50 since we could not use the car until the next morning, as planned, and we had to pay for a cab. It is now the end of June and I am still trying to get them to refund the money to my credit card. Since a 12 minute call from the U.S. to St. Maarten costs $97 (as my mom unfortunately found out), I have not called them, and I am trying to contact them through the Sea Palace email address, but no one will return my emails. It's a huge pain....

Finally, I would just have to say that the only real drawback I saw at the Sea Palace was that aside from Front Street, there isn't too much else to do directly in that area. We got tired of hanging out on the same beach, and since we weren't there to shop, Front St. didn't appeal to us very much. To fully enjoy your stay, you really have to travel (whether by bus, taxi, or rental car) to all the parts of the island. There are a lot of great things to see and do.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sweetpea107
Reviewed 11 June 2007

A friend of mine has a one bedroom timeshare at the Sea Palace. I stayed there previously in 1995, right after the hurricane. Front Street has changed a lot--for the better and they have cleaned and fixed up the beach. The beach is very accessible and is nice and clean. Four dogs shared the beach with us daily. They were well-mannered and didn't beg or bother anyone. I think they just wanted a shady spot. The Sea Palace provides lounge chairs, umbrella and beach towels complimentary to its guests. The water was clear and nice and warm. You don't need water shoes as there are no rocks as you enter the water.

It was off season and cruise ships came in on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Some of the people from the cruises made it up o the beach and shops near the Sea Palace. The Sea Palace is very well situated on Front Street. Shopping is right outside the front door and there is a small grocery store a block away. We took an $8 taxi ride to a large supermarket. The store was very well stocked and the prices were not bad. It was just like the supermarket at home. Next time, I won’t bring so many groceries from home and will buy them there.

There is complimentary wireless Internet access if you bring your laptop. If not, you have to go off site and purchase Internet service. I bought 15 minutes for $4.00 (US) at the French market. It was $6.00 for up to an hour. The rooms come equipped with the strangest looking safes I have ever seen. They are more like lock boxes. Our safe was in the smaller bathroom, on the floor, to left of the toilet. You have to obtain the top and key from the front desk. There is a fee of $15 per week. It's complimentary if you are an owner.

The airport was a $15 taxi ride and we also paid $15 for a round trip to the French side market area.

The rooms are spacious. We had a full bathroom with a tub and a bathroom with a vanity, shower and toilet. The shower stall in the small bathroom was the smallest shower I have ever seen. If you are a person of size, it can be tight. The property is older, but well maintained. The staff is friendly and extremely helpful. They replace towels and clean the room on Wednesdays. If you want daily service, there is a fee. If you let them know that something was wrong, they fixed it right away. The kitchen was fully-equipped, so we were able to prepare meals. Right down the street, there is a restaurant, Antoine’s, where we had a fine meal of Lobster Thermidor and Veal Picatta.

We had a good time and I can’t wait to return.

Stayed: June 2007
3  Thank Real_in_NYC
Reviewed 10 June 2007

Refurb just completed and the results are stunning. We stayed in a 1 BR, 2 bath unit. Everything was like new, the Front Street upgrade is complete, and the views are stunning. On the beach right at the end of the boardwalk. Our 1 BR, 2 bath unit had all new furniture, king size bed, freshly painted, and a super friendly staff.

If you want a resort with everything you can think of this isn't it, but if you want the best of an urban beach-front hotel in a great location you can't beat Sea Palace. The reviews we read were old, and we so impressed we decided we had to post an update. Great location, beautiful refurb, walk to everything that matters with views of Phippilsburg bay that will knock your socks off. Highly recommended

They now have a dedicated parking lot acress the street. If you know parking in Phillipsburg you know this is a god-send - and a bargain.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank wwfink
Reviewed 4 March 2007

The Sea Palace is not a 5 star location, but you cannot get real Island atmosphere in one of those expensive locations. We visited in December of 2006 and plan to return many times. It is a wonderful relaxing place, on the beach and in town at the same time. We found the entire location to be clean and safe. We walked the streets every night at many different hours, even very, very late and felt safe the entire time. If you want rich and phony, this is not the place. . . BUT if you want real island environment, THIS IS YOUR PLACE!

Stayed: March 2007
4  Thank OntheGOhomeandbeyond
Reviewed 4 January 2007

My stay at the Sea Palace Hotel was wonderful. From the moment I walked in and booked my room; the friendly staff, welcoming atmostphere, and the accomodations were all glorious....My Children loved staying there and we are planning to go back in Easter. The hotel is convenient, the price is just right and I had no problem finding my way around the shopping streets. The rooms were more that I expected. Clean, well organized and fully equipped. I also enjoyed walking along the close-by boardwalk. We all felt comfortable and would recommend this hotel to anyone provided that accomodations are available. You may also want to consider time share....Great Stay!

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with family
9  Thank Shurna
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
Holland House Beach Hotel
#4 of 12 in Philipsburg
Horizon View Beach Hotel
Horizon View Beach Hotel
#8 of 12 in Philipsburg

Been to Sea Palace Resort? Share your experiences!