“Tamarind a good choice for value”
Review of Tamarind Hotel

Tamarind Hotel
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Stuart, Florida
“Tamarind a good choice for value”
Reviewed 4 February 2012

We stayed at the Tamarind for the month of January 2012. We had stayed for only one week last January. I can only use the comparison of two other properties we stayed at on St. Maarten for a month each time. We stayed at Great Bay Villas on Front St. twice and Ocean's on Front St. twice. I think the Tamarind is an older property but certainly taken care of properly. The unit we had was clean and neat. The price to stay a month with utilities was much less than anywhere else on the Dutch side. They have done much to make the grounds gardenlike since last year. The pool is very well maintained. The management staff is friendly and outgoing. If you are looking for new and luxury you probably will not be happy. Other reviews have mentioned roosters crowing, dogs barking, etc. The other properties we stayed at also had those island noises. Shut the windows in the bedroom and turn on the A/C.

Room Tip: All units are unique so hard to make recommendations on rooms. One-bedroom in front of building is...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beverly Z

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I've stayed at The Tamarind on and off for many many years and in the past I've had some of the problems mentioned in other reviews, and worse. No hot water for 5 days on one trip, cool showers are not he end of the world in the tropics. However, this is the first review of The Tamarind I've posted because it is so improved. It is under new management and Paul the new MD is already showing that the old Tamarind is dead and buried. Accept that it is high end budget accommodation and you won't be disappointed, hire of a car is useful, but I'd do that for many places on SXM. The new deli is ideal and makes staying there so much better, the pool is now always clean and the grounds likewise. The room was typical Tamarind, I've never been in a room that wasn't clean and wonderfully maintained that way, the ladies who do the cleaning are great. Accept that it is surrounded by local residents and enjoy added local atmosphere at no extra charge.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Tim S
Reviewed 5 December 2011

In the middle of an industrial area. The rooms were cleaned but still dirty (e.g. stains in the curtains), the one we got was smoked in. And yes; if you are near the reception you will be up all night because of the next door chicken coop.
Beggers cant be choosers, so if you are on a tight budget, you could check it out. They asked well over $ 300 for a 3 night stay....

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Paul I, Manager at Tamarind Hotel, responded to this review, 5 January 2015
n 2011 the current management company took over what was then a fading tamarind, now in 2015 the hotel as well as the area has so much more to offer, many rooms have been renovated and within 2 minutes walking distance there are now 3 supermarkets, within 10 minutes walk a Chinese restaurant and a very decent sea food orientated restaurant called Chesterfields. We consider the Tamarind to be in the higher end of the budget accommodation market. We are not pretending to be something we are not, what we offer is good decent, safe accommodation with free parking, free wifi, and 24hr desk and security. many of the apartments beside the chicken location have been fitted with hurricane proof windows which block out a lot of outside noise.
Netherlands
Reviewed 25 March 2011

Before my vacation in Sint Maarten I read a couple of reviews regarding the Hotel and location and discomforts of fellow travelers.
However when i arrived on sunday the 27th of February i was shown to the room, and well i was not expecting anything less. The bed was nicely made and the bathroom/room were clean.
The first night I have to admit was a little short, the room was located on the back and my neighbours were the wonderful chickens and rooster, they decided to wake up at around 3.30 AM and when thinking that a rooster will just make noise for 1 time and thats it your WRONG haha. The first sound at 3.30 AM was not all the time but at round 5.00 AM they are fully awake, and yes i was bothered by them and woken up by them. But have to say even though hotel was fully booked after a couple days I got used of the noise in morning and slept through most of the time. During the day however if you are stuck in the hotel like me it can be a little annoying but then when you think where you are you forget the chickencoop and YELL I'M IN SINT MAARTEN BABY!

The Staff working at the Tamarind are so friendly, they helped me in the best way they could and were always in for a chat, they speak French, Dutch & English so i think you will be just fine. The housekeepers also 2 friendly ladies who made up my room everyday and i never had a complain.

Or well there was one issue but was not a big problem and resolved right away. Basicly the location is good (very close and walkable) to Philipsburg, and i really enjoyed my stay in Sint Maarten. I'm happy i chose to stay at the Tamarind and for my next visit i will go for sure to the same place!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank RoseArya
Reviewed 16 January 2011

My wife and I took our "baby moon" to St.Martin / St. Maarten before our first child. We chose the Tamarind because we were on a budget and just wanted a clean and friendly place to do day trips from, and a pool to lounge by. We liked our time there and will certainly go back.

• Stayed February 2010
1 Thank petemaine
Aarhus, Denmark
Reviewed 23 December 2010

I stayed at Tamarind hotel for one month in November.

I will list why I thought it was a bad experience:

1) My room was next to a hen house with roosters vaking me up at 4'o clock every morning!!!! The manager didn't tell me this before I moved in, she knew the problem however and offered me to be released from my lease afterwards, which I found a quite ridiculous behavior.

2) It is situated in a container harbour. Even though it looks very pictoresque on the website the surroundings are quite dirty and it is necessary to have a car to go to Philipsburg as there are nothing in Pointe Blanche.

3) It took 3 days to get back the deposit deducted utilities even though it should be a simple procedure.

3) The water did not work on several occasions and the bathroom shower was broken

4) The rooms were only cleaned once a week even though there is a 20 % surcharge for room cleaning.

5) If you wanted internet in your room you had to pay 4 $ dollars per hour and rent a modem from the hotel.

Overall not a hotel I would recommend to anyone as it costed 1130 $ for one montth in a really small studio including all the problems described above.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank bagarme
Paul I, Manager at Tamarind Hotel, responded to this review, 5 January 2015
In 2011 the current management took over, things have been steadily improving for the better as you can see from the more recent positive comments.

Sincerely

The Tamarind hotel
canada
Reviewed 27 February 2010

My husband and I and our two children (3 and 1) were looking for a long stay apartment in St Maarten which was affordable, centrally located and good for kids. When we first arrived the apartment had not been cleaned and there were cigerette butts and empty beer bottles everywhere. All the beds were dirty and the towels had all been used. We advised the front desk and the cleaners were there in under an hour. We rented a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment. Unfortuantely the way the hotel is set up there is a horseshoe shapped section and then another straight section. The straight section at the end was where we had our apartment. There was a chicken coop right outside our windows. The roosters crowed most of the day starting at 4:30am. You do get used to the roosters after a few days, but it is something I wish I had known when I booked. If you were staying in the horseshoe shapped part you would have been alright. Another thing to note is there are lots of misquitos here, all the time from what the locals told us. Luckily I had packed repellant for us. The apartments are all fitted with a fridge, a cook top and a microwave - no oven. Upon arrival our microwave and exhaust fan were both not working as well as the radio. We informed front desk and they replaced the microwave and fan within a day or two. The owners were very accomodating and most requests were met with good humour and grace (sink stopper, broom etc). There is a pool at the hotel. A few days it was yucky looking (greenish and not clear at all) but most days it was fine. The hotel is also a residence to some locals and there were always lots of kids around for my daughter to play with, which was nice. The bathroom was a little run down, but everything worked fine. The hotel is located just outside Phillipsburg on the far side of the harbour. The issue with this is that every time you want anything (from a pint of milk, to a paper, to head out to the beach) is that you have to drive by the port (which hosts up to 5 cruise ships each and every day). The closest beach was in Phillipsburg but this beach was definately not the nicest and I think we only ever went there once and not into the water. We liked Orient Beach, Dawn Beach and Simpsons Bay by Marys' Boon. To get to Simpsons Bay and the beaches on the west of the island you have to drive through Phillipsburg and Simpsons Bay which can take anywhere from 40 minutes and up. Traffic on the island is terrible. If you head north to Orient Beach it is about a 20-25 minute drive. To stay at this hotel a rental car is a MUST. There is internet access at the front desk and laundry, but that is all for the facilities.

Overall the hotel staff was accomodating, the rooms clean (cleaned weekly and linens changed), the value could not be beat but renter beware and I can not stress enough to ask for a room AWAY FROM THE CHICKEN COOPS.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank canada098
Paul I, Manager at Tamarind Hotel, responded to this review, 5 January 2015
In 2011 the current management company took over what was then a fading tamarind, now in 2015 the hotel as well as the area has so much more to offer, many rooms have been renovated and within 2 minutes walking distance there are now 3 supermarkets, within 10 minutes walk a Chinese restaurant and a very decent sea food orientated restaurant called Chesterfields. We consider the Tamarind to be in the higher end of the budget accommodation market. We are not pretending to be something we are not, what we offer is good decent, safe accommodation with free parking, free wifi, and 24hr desk and security.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
Holland House Beach Hotel
#4 of 12 in Philipsburg
Horizon View Beach Hotel
Horizon View Beach Hotel
#7 of 12 in Philipsburg

Been to Tamarind Hotel? Share your experiences!