“How else do I put this: "You MUST do a tour with Captain Bob!"”

Soualiga Destinations Boat Tours
Ranked #1 of 59 Tours in Philipsburg
More attraction details
Owner description: If you click on any to the excursions at the bottom of my listing, you are not booking with Soualiga Destinations. You must contact me personally at my email address here to reserve. We are the first company to offer our "most popular tour" the excursion around St. Martin from the Dutch side to the French side, stopping at Tintermarre Island to swim with sea turtles in the French Natural Reserve , stopping for a break at Pinel Island with a beautiful beach and unique boutique, a fantastic hot lunch in Grand Case, the culinary capital of the Caribbean, snorkeling again with lot's of colorful tropical fish at Creole Rock, the best snorkeling spot in St. Martin and then cruising back around the island stopping for a swim along the way and the last stop in Maho Bay under the approach to Princess Juliana International Airport, #3 in the list of the world's most dangerous airports. From the boat the planes pass right over your head. In keeping with our high standards, that have earned us the highest ratings on TripAdvisor we continue to offer the newest, fastest, most comfortable boats of all the companies offering this type of tour. We have shade and plenty of room to actually move around on board. Capt. Bob and Soualiga Destinations offers PERSONAL SERVICE for activities including water sports, scuba diving, snorkel/beach tours, private charters, inter island excursions to St. Barts and Anguilla, and all land and water based activities. We offer activities to ship passengers on a private level and to hotel, villa/condo and timeshare visitors. Please contact me , Capt. Bob for excursion details and we look forward to making your day or vacation in St. Martin the best day of your vacation.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 14 June 2014

First, how did we find out about Captain Bob?...By exactly what you are doing now, searching the internet and Tripadvisor. We wanted a non-traditional cruise excursion, something that would be unforgettable, safe, fun and would not cause harm to our bank account at the end of the day. Captain Bob's ratings were off the charts, unbelievably so. Could they be real? In a word: "Yes!"

We had a party of 13 friends and family join me and my wife on a Royal Caribbean Cruise (Oasis OTS) in early June 2014, and we all decided to do this excursion together while in St. Martin. My wife and our friends are all in their early to late 50's, and our adult children range from 19-25. A couple of us have back problems, which would have been a big concern, had I not read how Captain Bob puts anyone in the driver seat with him - the smoothest part of the boat ride. On this trip, Captain Bob had his son, Bret, join us. So, my wife (one of the back-troubled individuals in our party), got to sit at the helm with this young strapping 34 year old hunk of a guy the whole 6 hour tour. She could not get the smile off her face (I have the pictures to prove it!). And to think she was the one concerned about going in the first place. All I heard afterwards was how great the trip was, especially Bret! ; )

So first we toured around the island in Captain Bob's beautiful new Scarab 3 engine 900 horse power boat. Did we go fast? Yes. All the time? No. We buzzed around the island at speed for a few minutes, which is all it takes in that boat to cover a lot of "ground", and then turned into inside bays where Captain Bob would tell his best jokes (yes, they really were funny), and give us islander facts. Frankly, after this trip, you will want to live on St. Martin. The Captain should be running a real estate business on the side!

There were four swim stops on our tour, two where we could snorkel. I've snorkeled a million times before, and NEVER have I seen sea turtles. We saw four on this trip! I think the reason is that the Captain goes into the Nature Preserve, were only smaller tours can venture, virtually eliminating the big cruise ship tour crowds and keeping the areas pristine. What a joy to snorkel there. This may freak some out, we even saw a small (6ft span) Manta Ray cruise past, then circle and hang around on our second snorkel stop. It was amazing. If you want to see plentiful and colorful fish, and interesting species like sea turtles, etc. this is the tour for you. If not, get in the water anyway, you will be so glad that you did - marking it as a high light on your life's bucket list, I'm sure. Even the most squeamish in our party went in the water, and we always felt safe.

The lunch stop was wonderful - except I spent a little too long in the seaside bar buying everyone drinks rather than enjoying the impeccable picturesque Caribbean beach just yards away. The drinks were exceptional though, so who's complaining?! The lunch was more than I expected. Huge portions of fish, or ribs, or chicken, with sides of rice/beans. It really was great.

Toward the end of our trip we also spent a few minutes idling just off the runway approach to the airport. The large plane landing was a little early, so we missed it, but saw it from a slight distance as we were cruising in toward the beach. A massive jet liner only about 40ish feet above the water. We did get to see another large liner take off. Funny how the beach goers actually crowd along the fence along the back of the runway to get sand blasted by the engine wash. They must not be able to see to well after that experience, but it was fun for us to watch from our perfectly safe vantage point about a 100 yards off the shore.

The ONLY downside that I can think of is that you will have very little time after this excursion to shop in the main downtown St. Martin area if you are visiting the island like we were during a cruise vacation. We have been on St. Martin before, so for us this excursion way overcompensated for missing that part of our trip. It was SO worth it to do something SO unique, with such great service. There was a small beach shop on our second swim stop were our 19 year old twin girls (two sets of them in our group - must be something about the water we drink) purchased some great embroidered T-shirts and novelties at very reasonable prices in the small island shop.

In net, sign up for this excursion, you will NOT be disappointed. It will be the time that you and your loved ones talk about for decades to come. Frankly, I'll do it again the next time we visit too.

Thanks Captain Bob!
Glen from Atlanta, Ga.

2  Thank Glen S
Write a ReviewReviews (2,947)

Reviewed 14 June 2014

My two friends and I went on an 8 day cruise. The best day we had (by far) was the day we spent with Captain Bob and his son, Brett! They were kind, helpful, informative and a lot of fun! The boat dock is very easy to get to (walking distance). The speedboat was new, the water was nice and the food was outstanding! Get the ribs!!! We have done a lot of excursions together and all agreed that we would go back and hang out with Captain Bob and Brett in a heartbeat! Great price and worth every dollar!

1  Thank c2thamce
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We spent the most wonderful day we have ever had on St Maarten! Unfortunately, due to a back injury, Bob was unable to take us out but we were very fortunate to have Tyrel as our captain and guide for the day! It was a beautiful day on the water! We snorkeled in 2 different spots...saw many fish and turtles...got to learn alot about the history and geography of the island and had a delicious, fresh lunch that we swam up to the beach to get. It was perfect! We are very much looking forward to doing it all again when we return while on a cruise in December! Thanks!! :)

1  Thank monkalina42
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Three of us had fun with Captain's Bob crew the second time and it's the best!!! The boat is speedy and you will always remember the day spent there!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Our family booked this private tour with Captain Bob for our St Maarten stop, while aboard the Disney Fantasy last week. The speedboat dock was a very short walk away from where the cruise ships dock.

There was a scheduling error on my part (I had the correct day of the week, but wrong date) so we weren't on Captain Bob's list. He still, however, managed to squeeze us onto one of the 4 departing speedboats that day, making our family very happy. This accommodation (which we didn't expect) along with Bob's super-speedy replies to my emailed questions beforehand, resulted in excellent customer service!

Our boat's captain's name was Sam, and our boat had about 14 passengers. (Such a treat compared to the crowds on the Disney excursion we took on St Thomas the next day!)

The boat itself was in immaculate condition. No shoes allowed on the boat (so our water shoes were unnecessary) and your bags are stored in an interior compartment so they won't get wet. (I do wish I had thought to bring a small waterproof bag for our sunscreen and camera, to stash next to our seats). The ride between all of the stops was fantastic. Lots of smiles all around.

Our first stop was to snorkel with sea turtles. Our two daughters (age 6 and 8) were able to get on and off the boat pretty easily, but the ladder was a bit trickier for me to navigate. However, the two young men in charge were right there, assisting everyone on and off, as needed. We all appreciated the pool noodles to float in the water, and the equipment (used by myself only) was in excellent condition. We saw at least a dozen turtles during our approximately 40 minutes in the water.

Our lunch stop was on the French side, and the lunch was definitely as tasty as previous reviewers stated. My 6 year old raved about the pork ribs, and the rest of us enjoyed the Mahi Mahi. One small hiccup was that none of us realized we would be charged for water to drink ($5.50 per bottle) --so not everyone was prepared to pay for the water plus tip. The gift shop on the island was cute, and our girls loved seeing all of the iguanas (at least 20) nearby during lunch. The lunch stop was rather long, with quite a long wait sitting at the picnic tables--my husband remarked that he wished that time was used elsewhere on the trip. We did treat our girls to an ice cream cone afterwards, from a private boat off the beach, which was fun, but extremely expensive.

The second snorkeling stop was about the same length, and we saw some different varieties of fish. We all loved the third stop--off a little beach--as we rode the waves into shore a few times.

The cold drinks on board (Coke products, water and beer) were plentiful, and appreciated by everyone on board. The lack of shade for 6 hours was tricky--repeated sunscreen application and rash guards are a must as hats won't stay on your head when the boat is in motion.

We all loved the Maho Beach stop, and because it was a Tuesday, were able to see a 727 land, and another plane take off. Be sure to have your video on!

Our daughters' favorite part was the "race" back to the dock amongst the 4 speedboats. After the final turn, our captain went almost full throttle (up to 65 mph?) which was an absolute thrill.

Other passengers on the boat remarked that this was the best excursion they've ever been on, and we agree. We have recommended this excursion to everyone we know!

1  Thank LuvSHOes
bcass1111, Owner at Soualiga Destinations Boat Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Glad you had a good time despite your scheduling error.

Just one thing, It clearly says that "drinks with lunch in the cafe are not included in the price" on your confirmation. There is plenty to drink on the boat included in the price but we do not allow people to bring drinks from the boat into the cafe.

Technically, the cafe where you had lunch is in France and it is not common to have tap water available, especially on a small island with no electricity and running water. Everything has to be brought over to the island including water. Bottled water has to be purchased in the cafe.