“Overpriced and mediocre”

Holland House Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Philipsburg
Reviewed 21 January 2014

This hotel is overpriced. it is a bit run down although the room was OK. Our key card didn't work and they couldn't fix it because the system was down. The staff did not seem overly concerned about this. When I asked to speak with the manager, I was told he wouldn't be in until Monday. We were leaving on Sunday. They finally were able to provide a working key but this was a great inconvenience. I would not stay there again. However, I have to say that it is in a great location; right in the middle of town but also right on the beach. A cab from the hotel to the cruise terminal is $7. From the airport to the hotel is $20.

Room Tip: Choose one at another hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bill C

Reviewed 20 January 2014

We have stayed at Holland House many times before, but it continues to get better each visit! From the rooms, to the beach staff, to the new beach and boardwalk bar, to the ever changing and advancing resturant menu and wine lists, this gem will not disappoint. There are only 52 rooms, so don't wait to book! Every member of the staff and management ( Paul, Robert , Kizzie, Jesse) will make you feel
part of the family! A must for your st Maarten trip plans!!!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank bethf686
Reviewed 18 January 2014

This has everything I needed. Great in town location, plenty of restaurants nearby, right on a beach, and clean rooms. The staff took care of anything I asked for and I had a great breakfast each morning included with my room. I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Mike G
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We had a beach view room which I can highly recommand. Room in a great shape staircase needs redecoration. Breakfast is good, dinner as well however expensive(as the island is in general) no pool but nice beach so we did not miss it. Restaurant and bar are situated directly on the beach, and bar staff was extremely friendly and effectiv. Town is very busy during The day (cruise ships), dead during night, and others said dangerous. We did not make negativ experienes.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank all4witters

During the dull Dutch wintermonth of December my wife and I love to travel to
a warm and sunny destination. This year's choice was St. Maarten. The HHBH appealed
to us because of it's location and the combination of city and beach.
We stayed at the hotel for over 2 weeks and had a great time. The staff was friendly, professional , accommodating and dedicated. The food was excellent and because of the duration of our stay we often were asked that if we would like something
beyond the regular menucard we just had to let the chef know. From the Hotel's central location
we toured the island, played some golf, visited St. Barth or just stayed close "at home " for
a lazy day on the beach. When we dined at the hotel we often finished our meal with
a cappucino and an after dinner drink ( for me ) at the bar. The moment we left our table
"my special " was already waiting for me on the counter.
We thank management and staff for making our stay at HHBH a most memorable en enjoyable one.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hans L
Reviewed 16 January 2014

The Holland House is about average for a Caribbean hotel and it does have some nice features. My lower rating is because I think it's way overpriced. I would give it a much better rating if the rates were reasonable. I think they either need to lower their rates or up their game to make their Hotel worth the cost.
Positives: breakfast is good, lots of food and variety; Service to the beach is very nice -- towel service, chairs and umbrellas complementary and very nice wait staff for drinks and food. Things they could improve: time to turn around rooms for check in is very slow -- either they need a better plan about which rooms to clean first, or change up the staffing -- it's just very slow - we had to wait until 4pm to get in to rooms (we got there at 10am and didn't expect to get in but after shopping and lunch we were tired - 4pm was too late- since they knew we were waiting, I couldn't figure out why they didn't do those rooms first); decor in the dining area is looking shabby- as were the cushons in the rooms; internet access is free but is VERY slow; mirrors should be added to the rooms (there are none outside of the bathroom).

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Laura H
PaulBoetekees, General Manager at Holland House Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2014

Dear Laura H, Of course we highly regret that you encountered a delay in checking in. Our official check in time is 15:00 so we do sincerely apologize for the delay. We fully understand that when you come in at 10:00 you would like to have your rooms early however since we are mostly fully booked, all rooms will have to go through a rigorous check out cleaning process and management inspection before they can be released for check in. I will certainly follow up with the housekeepers to see what can be done to improve this process and to safeguard a timely delivery especially for early arrivals. Please be assured that this matter does have our full attention. We do like to thank you for the nice comments about the staff in general and the service we provide. Kind regards, Paul Boetekees | General Manager

Reviewed 13 January 2014

My wife and I spent New Year's Eve and 3 more additional nights in Jan '14 at this hotel. Located on the Frontstreet, with major shops at the doorstep of the hotel, HH's staff is great, dedicated, providing excellent service. Breakfast is great and is worth every penny. Location is great if one is taking a cruise ship or a ferry to St. Barths - walking distance. Highly recommend this hotel over others remotely located on the French side of the island. Dozens of taxis in front of the hotel with decent rates. If renting a car... watch out.. paper thin car doors are easily opened by "friends" who broke the car lock with a tool (not even a scratch to the paint) .. camera, cel and other things were taken out of the car, when visiting one of the many beaches on the French side on Jan 1st...
Great restaurants on the French side - better than ones at the casinos.

Room Tip: HH has 4 floors - we had issues of running water on the 4th floor. Maybe the demand for water was to...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank FabioSP_Brazil
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philipsburg
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Horizon View Beach Hotel
Horizon View Beach Hotel
#8 of 12 in Philipsburg
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Been to Holland House Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!