“Great location with a view”
Review of La Main a la Pate

La Main a la Pate
Ranked #7 of 91 Restaurants in Marigot
Price range: US$15 - US$60
Cuisines: Caribbean, French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

Came here in search for a new restaurant to try in a new place. I was greeted courteously by one of the waiter. I decided to order for take out as my family is waiting on the boat going back to the other side, Dutch side. We loved the margherita pizza, a creole dish, and some other appetizer. The value though was a bit high, but i guess that's what you pay for when u have an amazing view to enjoy your meal.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

We came in by cruise ship, took the water taxi to the main dock in Phillipsburg, walked up two blocks and took the local bus for $2 over to Marigot on the Dutch side, we walked the market and then went up 2 streets and to the south 3-4 blocks to the Marina where many additional restaurants with a view of the sailboats are. This is where you will find La Main a la Pate. I have include photos of the two plate we ate, both excellent, with the owner guiding us in perfect English. I feel we had a perfect lunch overlooking the sailboats in the basin, we were joined by 14 gendarmes who also knew the quality of the restaurant. I expect most restaurants in Marigot will be very good to excellent, I would truly LOVE TO spend the time to eat my way through each one. World Class food, but of curse, how could it not be, it part of France...
We hope to return soon.

3  Thank james c
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

Bad area, very run down. As far as the restaurant, French onion soup was very good, mahi was not too good. Caesar salad was not good at all, tasted fishy because of the heavy anchovies. Could not wait to get out of there.

1  Thank Janine H
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We eat here every year and this time brought 6 companions. They all loved it! Granted, it is not top French gourmet, but it certainly ranks a favorable nod among stiff competition and it somehow thrives in the Marina setting that is not quite its former glorious self.

3  Thank bikenkayak_Al
Reviewed 26 May 2013

La Main a la Pate was the first restaurant we tried in Marigot. The lively, bright atmosphere attracted us, as did the chalkboard with the day's specials. Service was fine, not bad but not exceptional in any way.

However, the food was a disappointment. Excessive use of the deep fryer is an issue with this restaurant. Much of what we found on our plates was greasy, oily, and prepared with a heavy hand. Substitutions in the dishes were made without informing us, so when our dinners arrived there was a bit of a surprise element. The food was very salty, even by French standards.

Two main examples: Our mixed creole appetizer platter came with calamari substituted for plantains. The calamari was breaded and deep fried, and overcooked to a hard, rubbery consistency. We ate two bites and stopped. My mahi-mahi was also overcooked and oversalted to the point of being inedible. To me, all of this points to sheer lack of caring in the kitchen, which is a disappointment on an island that calls itself the "Culinary Capital of the Caribbean."

Overall, I got the impression that La Main thrives more because of its ideal location than on the quality of its food. Fortunately for us, every other meal we had on the island was superior to this first experience. With so many good dining options around, it is difficult to recommend this restaurant. See my reviews of La Petit Auberge des Iles and Tropicana for two better options in the same marina.