“Nice surprise”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Baie Nettle
Budapest, Hungary
“Nice surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

We did not have much expectations. We read all those negative reviews here and thought this is going to be something bad. Never the less the rate was so attractive that we decided to book this hotel and in the worst case we will spend our days on the beach and stay in the hotel the minimum possible. Was it really bad??? The contrary!!! This is a nice property at a very competitive rate. We stayed in a one bedroom apartment overlooking the lagoon. The apartment was spacious with a nice bedroom and a living room the best thing was the balcony with a kitchenette wall, this is the most convenient solution we have ever seen.... we could use the fridge, make tea, etc.... simply great. Instead of running to the reception or the restaurant for free wifi, we purchased the wifi for the entire stay and it did work without any problem. I know that not speaking French in this resort could be a problem, but we are from Europe and we do speak some French, so we did not experience any problem at the reception or during the stay. Would reccommend this hotel to anyone who is seeking an affordable, but good accommodation in St Martin.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank vizslabp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Торонто, Канада
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

It’s a big resort with 2 swimming pools, tennis courts, boat rentals, restaurant and bar, car rental and many other things. They have a beautiful beach which we really enjoyed, it’s good for sunbathing and water sports, but unfortunately has very poor swimming conditions due to its depth and the amount of seaweed. We loved our room, it was big, comfortable and nicely decorated, and the most outstanding part of it was the kitchen, located outside on the balcony. Marigot is less then 10 min to drive and a very good French supermarket is on your way there. We enjoyed eating cheese platters, different kinds of pate, French baguette and wine while we were relaxing on the balcony. All international alcoholic drinks are not expensive at the store. Famous Maho Bay is 20 min to drive and many other great sandy beaches are around. This resort is a good, safe and not expensive choice for exploring an island.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Volynskaya
St jerome
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

We stayed here for a week on a flight-hotel package ( no meals ) from Dec 12 to 19/2013 , i read in some reviews that the place was ageing and in serious need of restoration ,that was off-putting to us in the first place but we decided to come anyway ( budget did not allow for more expensive places nearby and it was the cheapest on offer then ) but to our surprise it looked good at first sight when we got there from the airport, no special service from the staff whom we think are not the friendliest but ok , i believe WIFI should be provided in the rooms for free , it is free around the pool and the bar, my wife wanted to have Internet in the room so we paid up ( 18 $ per week ) and it was out for 2 nights , we finally picked up the signal and all went well thereafter .
Some rooms were being refurbished yet hardly any noise from the workers in the nearest ones , pretty quiet as if done with respect to the neighboring occupants at more appropriate hours .Generally speaking the buildings ( 23 in all ) are decently maintained , no much signs of decay or neglect . Inside the room we were given we found everything we needed , air conditioner worked perfectly ( looked like new ) , the safebox in the room is also practical, one little niggle we managed to cope with is the hot water which seems to be gone from roughly 6 to 9 PM on most days but once you know when it occurs there is plenty of it .Our room ( a studio ) was very clean , quite modern ( tiled floor ) and the bed holds 3 persons ! On the balcony is a functional kitchenette ( which you must clean when you check out ) anyway an electric range ,a sizeable fridge , a couple of pots and pans , plates , etcc .. a tiny bottle of dish- washing liquid was provided , even salt and pepper we discovered on a bottom shelf , oh all that is for 3 persons and are accounted for so don't break anything for a note on the chest inside the room says you'll be charged for what goes missing or get broken .From our kitchenette/balcony we had a great view over the pool and beyond through the palms to the lagoon ( you don't get such a view from some other buildings though -we were lucky to have it i reckon ) where no-one bathes in but you can practice some sports ( fees ) as the water appeared pretty clean , beach or pool towels are gladly handed to you if you request them , we positively found the pool very inviting and it certainly is kept clean .
The hotel/resort is in my opinion ( admittedly good for those not bothering to go out of the resort ) not so well located but less than 2 kms away is a nice ocean beach to go to if you do not fancy the long one ( not bad at all ) right across the main road .There is a petrol station/tiny grocery store place upon exiting the resort on the left , in the other direction is a larger food store with a better choice of fruits and vegs , almost next to the latter is a small car rental agency ( 33 Euros per day all inclusive - you cannot waive the 800 Euro liability though ) if you wish to explore farther afield , we surely did ! All in all the Flamboyant Hotel and Resort is a pretty good choice overall and we would certainly stay there again given the chance , Saint Martin is a very beautiful island and we are considering to go back next year .

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Carol D
Sint Maarten, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Burkkkkkk !!! A place to simply steer clear off !! The rooms have not been touched up since a century it seems, but when the hygiene is at stakes, there is no excuse possible. The filth around the pool edges is a health hazard. I cannot imagine how come this place is still open to clientele.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Esther J

Travellers are raving about these Baie Nettle hotels

Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

First the good. The value on the rooms at least during the off season is pretty good and the location is decent, close to the town of Marigot and only 10-15 mins from the airport. Its right on the lagoon and while the beaches within walking distance aren't amazing, beautiful places like Mullet Bay are very close. The rooms are clean and I like the restaurant and the free kayak rentals. Also I did an intro scuba lesson at the scuba shop on property which was good value and a good experience.

Now the bad. The WiFi situation is just pathetic. The free WiFi which they claim works in common areas didn't seem to work at all the entire time I was there. On the last day I had some things I needed to do in preparation to fly home and so I broke down and got the paid WiFi for an exorbitant $9US per day. I figured for that price it would be fast right? Nope, took forever to connect and load and was almost worthless. I think these resorts take advantage of the fact that most of us don't have data on our phones because of international roaming and charge us exorbitant rates for connectivity, not cool. You can go use the WiFi at the little French bakery next door so long as you purchase something. That connection is pretty fast and they guy who runs it seems nice. Food is pretty good to.

The lock on the door had an old fashioned key rather then a card that was kind of cumbersome to carry around, especially going to the beach and the lock itself was kind of frustrating to use.

The staff generally seemed like they tried to be helpful but this is a french resort, most of the staff is french and speak english at varying levels of proficiency and most of the guests are french as well. Only speaking english I found the language barrier to be frustrating at times. All in all if you are on a budget this isn't a bad place to get some R&R, that said if I return to the island in the future I might stay somewhere else.

St. Maarten / St. Martin is a beautiful and amazing island with pristine beaches, beautiful scenery and a fun mix of cultures. I highly recommend visiting it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank JetFlyerDoug
Venice, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Where shall I begin. Our plane touched down at 6:55PM , after acquiring our luggage, then going to the car counter, driving to the remote car lot, acquiring the car and driving to the hotel, I will guess it to be around 8PM. A this point we cannot gain entry to the hotel grounds and we pushed the emergency contact button several times , before we were greeted by the night security guard, who spoke only "French". After awhile of hand gestures, and pantomime, and struggling with his limited English, he finally calls the manager. She cheerfully arrives around 9PM, and informs us that the hotel closes at 7PM. Apparently it's not "season" yet. At this point , we are exhausted from our day long travel and just want to relax.
She asks the guard to check and see if our room is ready, he returns, telling her that it's not cleaned. She says to us that she will put us in a 2nd floor room overlooking the pool ( nice view). OK, we get to the room and I literally have to put my shoulder to the front door to open it. The floor is warped and impedes the door. Finally inside, I turn to close the door, and it's black from handprints. I guess the maid never looks behind any of the doors, because the bathroom door was the same. I go to open the patio door, and again struggle to open the door. I am thinking already, "what's wrong with this place"?
Ok, we unpack, and the guard ( who was very accommodating) shows me the ice bin, and I get ice for an evening cocktail. I am siting on the patio and the air conditioner compressor is running non-stop, intensifying the heat trapped in the patio. Very uncomfortable. We like to sit out every evening for cocktails and had to endure this every night. Most times , I wrapped myself in a wet T-shirt to combat the heat. Most unpleasant.
I signed up for the hotel internet, and after an hour of trying to get online, I asked for a refund. Frustrated , I would rather be without it than have to sit there and watch the wheel turn constantly and no connection. We find out that the pool we overlook was closed due to a leak and was not about to open anytime soon. We were also subjected to banging and jack hammering and sawing the whole time there. They are supposedly in transition from a "hotel" to "condo conversion". The tile walkways on the ground floor are largely broken tiles. We were also subjected to overflowing trash receptacles that were there from Wed. check-in until Monday morning. You can imagine the smell from the heat over several days.
I have stayed in Motel 6's ( the point being that they are no frills, budget hotels ) that were in better shape than this place. This hotel made me so upset, that I kept lying to my wife , telling her that I would return to St. Martin. This was a week in Hell.
It wasn't 'til we returned to the states, that I told her, I don't care if I ever return to St. Martin, and I mean it . Per chance I ever return, no doubt , I will NEVER return to this dump.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Frank-Judi
Clearwater
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

Internet access was down in the check in area. We got there late so the office was closed, but the security guard had our paperwork and keys, so we were relieved. Ask for the lagoon view so you get to over look the lagoon and quiet pool. It was a drive to the beaches and the traffic is horrible in St. Martin, but you get used to it. I had to tell them that the Internet said I get free use of snorkels and fins. Emanual (woman) said gruffly, I don't need proof of it when she looked at me strangely so I offered to show her on the website for the hotel. I probably would find a different place to stay if I went back, but we saw all we needed to see.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
RALFsxmH, Public Relations Manager at Le Flamboyant Hotel and Resort, responded to this review, 8 September 2013
This review is NOT for our place.

You did NOT stay at FLAMBOYANT BEACH VILLAS. Perhaps you stayed at Flamboyant Hotel in Bay Nettle.

We, FLAMBOYANT BEACH VILLAS, are in Grand Case directly on the Grand Case Beach.

We have no lagoon view at all but magnificant beach view. And our guests do not need to drive to the beach as we have direct beach access.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baie Nettle
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,746 reviews
Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort

Been to Le Flamboyant Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!