We had booked the Garden Suite and upon arrival, we were a touch disappointed. Even in the spangled afternoon sun, the room seemed a bit dark, the furniture too imposing for the scale of the place, and the decoratives/furnishings seemed outdated. But walking through to the back porch improved our impressions significantly. The outdoor seating area spilled out onto a gorgeous stretch of powdery white sand and gentle lapping of ocean in the most amazing colors. This was where we spent our time, not inside.
The kitchen is adequate, but very basic. While the other rooms had microwaves, the Garden Suite has only a toaster oven. I had hoped that some basic food stuffs might be available (salt, pepper, sugar) but the cupboards only supplied cutlery, plates, etc. Since the price of dining out is high -- as are groceries -- we'd encourage travelers to bring some basics along if you're on a budget. One other disappointment was how sound traveled between the rooms. Partly due to the open window system, we heard muffled conversations, arguments, and people coming and going in the wee hours. Bring ear plugs if you sleep lightly.
Since the guesthouse is still setting up shop (the owners bought it 4 years ago and have been restoring it), other kinks are still getting worked out. None of the rooms has a phone and this was inconvenient for us until the owner offered the use of a basic cell phone for our stay -- a huge help. They also do not have a credit card option for payment so cash, personal check, or bank transfer are the options currently.
The hotel is within walking distance of many restaurants and shops along Simpson Bay. One highlight was "Stone", a South African-owned spot that served amazing meats and seafoods. The owners were also very helpful in giving options for scuba spots, car rental deals, and restaurant picks.
If you're looking for high-end facilities, go elsewhere. If you're eager to escape the beaten path of big tourist hotels in Maho, and if you plan to spend most of your time outdoors, this may be a great spot for you. I'll try to add photos shortly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Azure is family owned/ operated boutique hotel on the most spectacular/ uncrowded beach on Saint Martin. Completely renovated. Watersports, marinas, restaurants, casinos, bars, shops all within walking distance. White sand beach, crystal clear water, the world's biggest mega yachts within a stone's throw. Kitchens, US satellite TV, AC. FREE WIFI, FREE INTERNATIONAL CALLS (most countries), FREE CELL PHONE USE,concierge. Lounges with umbrellas on the beach. Let us plan your activities. Our friendly staff will make sure you have everything you need! Azure for sure! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your The Azure Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Azure Beach Studios Hotel Simpson Bay
- The Azure Hotel St. Maarten-St. Martin/Simpson Bay