“Relaxing, Beautiful Hotel..We will be back!”
Review of The Azure Hotel

The Azure Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I can't really put into words what I feel about this place but I'll try my best. First and foremost, the owners Michael and Fawnette were awesome, and their baby girl Skye was such a joy to have around! They made you feel like you were at home and took time to answer questions and help out with anything you needed. Michael sat down for about an hour our first morning there and gave us a list of their favorite spots to go including restaurants and activities around the island..Also marked everything on a map so no trouble finding where to go...I've been on many trips in my 30 years and haven't had that kind of service anywhere. All the recommendations were right on the money!
Secondly LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION! The Beach here was AMAZING..very much feels like its your own private beach...water was beautiful, you really dont need a pool with what you have here! Since it is by the airport, you do hear the planes..not a big deal and after the first day it's like backround noise, not a deal breaker at all! Its pretty cool to see them as well...Plus during the week it's few and far between!
Third is the rooms...very very clean and the housekeeping staff was attentive and quick and just very friendly..Ramona was great! Spent some time talking with her and she was always around if you needed anything as well! We stayed in Suite 1 (room 6)...spacious, small kitchen with everything you need, lots of closet space, and a very good sized bathroom...also the patio right outside your door with a table and chairs is a nice touch too! We enjoyed sitting there every morning with a beautiful view of the ocean having our coffee and croissants from the little french bakery right down the street. everything you need for your basics is in walking distance however it is very very very worth it to rent a car to get around the island to the fabulous places Michael refers to that are not in walking distance! There is so much to see and do you won't get it done in just one week and that's why we are already planning a second trip back to this wonderful hotel and island! Thank you Michael, Fawnette, and staff for such a very special time! We had a fantastic week and can't wait to come back next year!

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank Cindyv518

Reviewed 11 August 2013

This small hotel is amazing! Its location, in the middle of Simpson bay can’t be beaten, and trust me the beach is the best in the area. Azure is a clean hotel with everything you need. We had the garden suite with a kitchen, a flat screen TV with like a thousand channels, free WiFi and A/C. The bathroom was clean and the room has an outdoor area right on the beach.
Nothing like having breakfast and an early rum punch in the terrace with the wave’s sounds and the turquoise sea color as a background. You will be so sad the first day back at home.

Just remember that Azure is not a resort. Is a small hotel /guesthouse exactly as described by the owner on his website. And precisely Michael is the highlight of this hotel. You will feel he is your best friend after ten minutes. Ask him anything you need, advices, recommendations, etc. he will help you with an awesome vibe.

If you are worried about the airport being so close, don’t be. We felt a couple of jets during the day but nothing to be concerned about, and at nights is really quiet.
There is a construction going on next door and for the rooms closer to the site can be a little noisy, but we only felt it one day around 8.30 am. I can’t blame the hotel for this and if you have any doubts just call Mike, he is so honest that there is a big picture of the airport runway and the distance to the hotel on his website. How many hotels do that?

We had an awesome time in San Martin and this hotel was a little more than we expected. That’s the reason we are trying to make room in our schedule to go back as soon as we can.

Recommendations: Rent a car and discover the island. Walk from the hotel to Karakter beach bar, great food, drinks and people. Dance salsa at La Bamba. Hit Buccaneer Beach Bar on bonfire night. Have fun at cheri’s café. Sunset bar is a must!. Beaches to go: happy bay, pinel island, orient, cupecoy, dawn beach. To avoid: tintamarre island, too far, too hot, no breeze and no shade.

Room Tip: the ones facing the beach
4  Thank Harry B
Reviewed 5 August 2013

This review is a few months late, but I stayed here for the first part of my honeymoon. We couldn't have asked for a better location. The beach was just outside our door and was absolutely gorgeous. It was so wonderful to hear the waves while we slept at night. It was the perfect tropical location. Our room had everything we needed and we were close to markets, so we were able to buy food and do some light cooking in our room. It really felt like home for the 6 nights we were there.

The owner, Michael was super nice. He gave us all kinds of recommendations and he never steered us wrong! He helped us with choosing restaurants, places to visit, things to do and even a doctor when we needed one! I would definitely stay at the Azure hotel when I travel back to St. Maarten.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Donna K
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My trip with to St Maarten was Amazing! I found The Azure on Trip Advisor and am so happy that my fellow advisors led me here. I loved that so many commented on how friendly and accommodating Michael at The Azure is. And they are correct!! When we were booking our room, he was helpful and it was easy. Leading up to the vacation, he responded to my emails filled with questions within the same day - which was great. The hotel itself is in a great location! The hotel is literally right on the beach! I loved being able to walk outside to the beach (I hate schleping all of my stuff around a huge resort). The beach chairs and little tables are in great condition. It is walking distance to restaurants and bars which makes it a great home-base. We loved being on the Dutch side because it was so much cheaper than the French side. When we arrived, Michael sat down with my boyfriend and I and pointed out great locations for daily activities, snorkeling and secluded beaches etc. He gave us a list of him and his wife's favorite restaurants - which I LOVED because I'm a foodie! He set up our rental car (only $20 a day - and totally a great way to zip around the entire island). Whenever we saw him, he always asked how we were doing and if we needed anything - which we didn't because we were already content. The fellow guests were all very friendly too. We stayed in the BEACH SUITE which opened right up to the beach - the room is a studio with a queen sized bed, 2 stove top burners, a refrigerator and toaster. We loved having a kitchen in the room. The first day, we bought soda, beers, eggs, cheese, fruit and bread and made breakfast each morning and sat outside and absorbed the beautiful sights - we enjoyed saving money on breakfast because of these amenities. The room and bathroom were a little small, but once we unpacked and put our luggage on top of the armoire, it was fine. We DID NOT HEAR CONSTRUCTION. Now that we're back (and completely sad to not be in paradise anymore), while describing the trip - I immediately say 'amazing!' and 'effortless'. Everything went according to plan - mostly due to Michael and his friendly staff. I plan to go back to St Maarten and stay at The Azure at my earliest opportunity. I wish there was a higher rating than '5' because The Azure deserves it! :)

5  Thank bethie118
Reviewed 20 July 2013

After years of traveling from resort to resort on many islands my husband and I opted for something out of our comfort zone and are so glad we did. The Azure is obviously no secret to many and rightfully so. It is this 8 unit boutique hotel situated right on Simpson Bay beach which is totally ours in July. There are literally about 6 other people on the entire beach other than us all week. The Azure is at the very best point of the beach where you can literally walk until the water meets the sunset and find nothing but sand and turquoise water. The unit sizes are similar to your typical efficiency units. But we have the Deluxe Garden suite which has 4 separate rooms, 2 bedrooms, foyer, and a kitchen/dining/tv room combo which is as big as any unit we have had in a resort if you are looking for space. But we are not here for the rooms, we are here for the beach, privacy, and quiet and this may be the best place we've stayed in for most of the above. Oh and did I mention the service? The maids clean your place as soon as you leave. Not just once but, they sweep the sand out again, change towels, do dishes...it's like you have your own service!
Then there's the owner, Michael, who has this gift of always taking time with you to make you feel welcome, give you GREAT restaurant advice and directions, hook you up with a car for a good deal, or suggest great activities.
We're about a nine minute walk down the beach from Karakters so we took advantage of that and walked down for a drink and Tappas and listened to some live soul on Thursday and jazz on Friday. Each morning we get up and walk a block to a little market after 8 to get fresh baked bread and croissants delivered from the French side.
In other words, if you're looking for action it's not far away but if you want to truly "vacate" your life and stay where there is nothing but peace and privacy, this is the place. My husband said it best when he said that each day has felt like a long lazy day.
I will add that there is construction going on M-F that begins at 7 and you do hear it. It's next door and will continue until November 2013. We live in a very remote area so we were concerned about the noise but it just became white noise after the first day, especially on the beach where the breaking waves consume our days.

Room Tip: If you like to sit out on the deck and drink some wine as the sun sets make sure you get one of the...
2  Thank GGMA1
Reviewed 10 July 2013

If you are looking for the best view, and a great beach to walk and swim that is in walking distance to restaurants at a great price, than look no further. It does not get nicer than this. You can take the bus to see the other beaches, but you will realize that everything is right here in Simpson Bay for you to enjoy. Michael is a wonderful host and will help you with any plans. Make sure that you walk down to Karacters for lunch and dinner right on the beach. The food and atmosphere can't be beat!

Room Tip: We loved suite 1
3  Thank penjimop
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This is a place where the little touches are part of what make it so special and somewhere you'll be thinking about long after you go home. Azure was wonderful from beginning to end. It was five minutes from the airport and we were welcomed and shown to our room by Michael, the owner. My boyfriend and I stayed in the Deluxe Garden Suite which was not on the beach but had a full, separate sitting area/kitchen and two bedrooms (which means I have somewhere to move if snoring starts). We felt like we were in a beach apartment. The king bed was really comfortable as was the second bed. The half fridge worked great to hold beer/wine and a few other items.
The hotel provided a unique and "homey" experience including a tortoise habitat in the middle of the small courtyard. We stopped each day on our way out and in to check on the resident tortoises and take a look at the lizards, birds and plants. But there was more! The chairs, umbrellas and small tables set up against the palm trees on a beautiful (mostly deserted) beach, the chairs and tables on the patio, the attentive housekeeping staff that brought us more towels than we could use (that is a lot!), the hospitality of Michael who booked a jet ski reservation for us and always wanted to know how we were doing. Perfect combination of making sure we had what we needed and letting us enjoy the experience.
Michael and his family live on the property and never made us feel like we were intruding if we had a question. We enjoyed exploring the capitals and the entertainment on the island and our experience there was doubled knowing we were going "home" to such a wonderful place. Thanks Michael!
A few notes:
- It is near the airport and you do hear planes, but after a day or so, we really didn't notice. Granted, we usually left around 8:30 to go explore and returned around 2.
- Azure is close to everything. A great coffee place, grocery store, bars, restaurants and more.
- There is a coffee maker in the room, but no coffee packs, so put that on your grocery list.
-There is soap but no shampoo/conditioner in the shower (I had plenty and was fine, but just an FYI)
-There was construction going on during our trip and they started at 7 a.m. but it wasn't constant and we were fine.
- Non hotel note. Use the public transportation system. It was cheap ($1.50 per person per one way trip), easy (just flag a bus down and say "Stop Please" when you get where you are going). We used it the entire time and probably saw and did more because it was easy. Taxi's are cheap as well, but the bus is the way to go!

4  Thank QueenCtyChick
Grand Case Beach Club
#2 of 8 in Grand Case
The Villas at Simpson Bay Beach Resort & Marina
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten

Been to The Azure Hotel? Share your experiences!