Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“Azure Is The Bomb! Ya, that's a good thing!”
Review of The Azure Hotel

The Azure Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Mike and Fawnette are gracious host. Azure is close to everything fun about the Dutch side of SXM. And just minutes away from the French side. Located right on the beach just seconds from great restaurant, bars, casinos, beaches, and more. I stay there every time I visit SXM. It's like staying with family. The cool half of the family, if you know what I mean.
Love it!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Aponawave

Reviewed 10 September 2013

I stayed here over the weekend and loved it so much I'm already working on my family to take a break together in the spring. Michael was fantastic as far as answering questions and communicating via email ahead of time, and so friendly when I got there. There are turtles and lizards in the garden - so cute! - and another traveler had fed them some grapes at one point.

The Deluxe Garden suite was huge and so comfortable - would have been perfect for a group of friends, since there were two private bedrooms and a fold-out futon. EASY walking distance to the public bus routes (buses come frequently). The cab driver had a little trouble figuring out where to bring me from the airport (next time I would just take the bus, now that I know where I'm going - and I do hope there's a next time) so I was glad that I printed out the very clear map provided on the website.

Getting around the island was easy: either I called my taxi driver from the airport, who had given me his card, or I just took the buses. The buses were great because they're so cheap ($1.50-$2) compared to $10-$30 for taxies ($30 was from Simpson Bay to Oyster Bay for a snorkeling trip I'd planned ahead.)

The beach on Simpson Bay is gorgeous and not busy at all. There are lounge chairs and umbrellas (a lifesaver on my last morning, when the sunburn had really set in) and even an aloe plant in the garden. All the staff members I met were friendly and kind, and I got to say hello to Michael once I'd arrived.

As much as I'd love to keep the Azure Hotel a secret so I could be sure of getting a place there on my next visit, Michael and Faunette deserve all the customers they can get at this absolute gem of a hotel. Go, enjoy, and have a blast!

Room Tip: Email the hotel - let Michael know the size of your party and your dates, and trust his recommendati...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank RtheAdventuress
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Its been 8 months since our visit to the Azure Hotel, but we still talk about it and probably would have been back already if it wasn't for sky high flight prices from the UK !
The owners of the Azure, Mike and Fawnette (and Sky) were laid back and attentive to any request, very knowledgeable about the island and its environs.

Its a 5 minute transfer from the airport. On arrival I dumped by cases, stripped off to my swim shorts and plunged into the azure Caribbean - total time from touch down to toes in the water was half an hour - I'll never forget that.

We stayed in the beachside suite which had a small kitchenette, this served us perfectly well over our 10 night stay. Wake up to the sound of the sea then stick the coffee pot on when you rise, take 4 paces from your room and go for a half an hour stroll along the white sandy beach with warm waves lapping up at your ankles, return back via the nearest shop for fresh bread to have with your fresh coffee - a perfect breakfast, right on the beach front.

We are not really folks who like lying about all day on the beach, but here it felt normal we loved it. Jumping into the waves every now and again to cool down.

Watch out in the sand though, some dogs are left loose running and forget to take their doo-doos home.

On other days we took local mini bus trips around the island no problems and super cheap.
We also dived over 5 days with Dive Adventures in Simpson Bay.
On some afternoons we had great fun at Sunset Beach Bar located at the end of the runway watching the planes land and crazy folks hanging onto the fence in the jet wash from departing 747's!!

Easy walk to main road where you can flag down a minibus and pay about $3 to $4 to get to the runway end, same to get to Simpson Bay main strip of bars and restaurants. These options are both walkable.

There's Free WiFi available across the site - great addition and very handy in this day and age. Dont expect brand new fiitted out bedrooms, they are built and fitted out in the Island style, laid back, rustic and functional.
We would definitely stay here again - I'm sure we will be back at some point in the future.
If you're going - I'm jealous!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank gst1
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I did little to talk my wife into coming back(and we rarely go to the same place twice). That is how enjoyable our vacation was last year. The staff and owners were so great as well as the guests(many of whom are regulars) made this one of the best places we have ever been. Good luck getting in during the high season though. Can't wait till next year. Lots of places to walk to in the area for dining options.

Room Tip: Stay at beachfront if you can.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ehrmy
Reviewed 27 August 2013

There are no words for the hospitality ofthe owners Michael and Fawnette .the rooms are neat ,wonderful views and maid service is exceptional. When you wake up to the sounds of the waves right outside your window and you walk out onto the patio and 3 steps down to white sand beach. It is a slice of heaven.shopscwithin walking distance and the restaurants,markets.little frigs in rooms make everything easy.thank you for all you do Fawnette and Michael.

Room Tip: Every room is good.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank foxyladyrcute
Reviewed 20 August 2013

My wife and I spent five days at the Azure and loved every minute of it. We stayed in room #4 the deluxe garden suite that opens on the courtyard which meant I was able to check on the turtles living there every time I left the room. We had two bedrooms, kitchen,and a bathroom with a great shower. The room was clean, the beds comfy and the towels thick and plentiful.
The hotel is right in the middle of Simpson Bay on a beautiful, practically deserted, stretch of beach.
Mike, the owner, is also a great consierge. He arranged for taxis, a very reasonable car rental, gave great advice and made excellent restuarant recommendations. He could not have been more gracious and helpful.
The Azure is not a resort hotel with all the associated amenities but a small hotel on a quiet beach. We liked that.

Room Tip: Be sure to walk down the beach to Karakers, a terrific beach bar and restuarant. It has a truly amaz...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ken t
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

I booked the reservation for this hotel based on comments on tripadvisor and it was the best choice indeed.
The small private property owned by Michael is right on a beautiful beach at Simpson Bay.
It's 5min from the airport ans close to many restaurants if you're driving. Walking distance from supermarket in case you want to cook.Yes, there's a full kitchen in the room because there's no breakfast included which is fine once the isle offers awesome breakfast for good price.
Towels are not a problem. Beach towels are available.
Bed is very comfortable and there's dish network TV with a lot of channels. Shower is great!
There's free wifi and the signal is very good. You can even go online when you're at the beach.
The owner, Michael, is always available for tips about things to do, restaurants and everything.
I, personally, took his advices and it was perfect.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank Michael and Ramona ( the maid) for the great experience we had! I highly recommend this place.
Thanks!

#2 of 8 in Oyster Pond
LOVE
LOVE
#4 of 8 in Grand Case

Been to The Azure Hotel? Share your experiences!