“"Great Place To Stay On St. Martin"”

The Horny Toad Guesthouse
Reviewed 27 January 2013

My wife & I stayed here for 3 nights in Dec. '12, after Christmas. We enjoyed our stay on our 2nd floor room, overlooking the beautiful beach. We liked the sliding security gate, & all the amenities of our room. Betty the owner was great, & made our stay very enjoyable.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank EddyReimer

Reviewed 3 January 2013

My husband and I stayed in the upper unit (#2) and his sister and her son and grown daughter in the larger downstairs unit (#5). We went back and forth between both units over the course of our 5-day stay, but I prefer the upstairs oceanview rooms. In Dec/Jan there is a lovely breeze to keep you cool (though rooms do have A/C), and there is nothing like being lulled to sleep by the sound of the surf. But there's just nothing like having that beach all to yourself! Simpson Bay Beach is quiet with few visitors (and most of the visitors we did see had dogs, which made me miss my pooch!). We used the BBQ one night too, and again, it was like having the whole beach to ourselves though it was New Year's Eve.

Betty was more like the owner of a B&B than the manager of a hotel. She offered advice (and in a motherly way, advised us to try to save water and electricity, asked us to keep the suitcases off the bedspread since "airplanes are dirty," and showed us how to keep all the doors locked properly when we were not there or were sleeping). She arranged a rental car for us, and offered advice on where to go to eat, to scuba dive, etc. She also filled our kitchen with the food we requested, which was a really nice bonus, especially since we had not yet arranged a rental car and did not know our way around.

We also really enjoyed the housekeepers, two sisters from Jamaica, who were very friendly (and cleaned all of our dishes each morning though we never expected them to do this). They tok good care of us too!

Though we toured most of the island, we loved Simpson Bay and how quiet and relaxing it was compared to the island's other beaches. Staying at the Horny Toad is like staying at your own private beach cottage, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a quiet relaxing place to chill and get away from it all.

Room Tip: I recommend upstairs facing the beach as there is a nice breeze and a great ocean view, unless you n...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank PamlaJane
Reviewed 1 January 2013

My boyfriend and I really enjoyed our stay here for 2 nights in October. Betty was incredibly gracious... we had an issue prior to traveling in that we sent in our deposit by check and she never received it. She held our reservation and let us pay her on good faith when we got there.

The property is a gem: unassuming from the tiny street but set right on the beach with gorgeous views! I love that the Horny Toad logo is emblazoned right on the side of the building :) Our room was surprisingly big and our bed was two beds shoved together making it like a California king-- very nice. The room looks like a dated hotel room but it's perfect for what we needed it for- a nice clean crashpad between adventures. The double sliding glass doors that make up the front "wall" of the room are just amazing and we loved waking up to the gorgeous views of the sea. The air conditioner unit worked pretty well though the room smelled a little mildewy at times, not sure if a filter needed changed or what. The kitchenette was fully stocked with utensils, towels, etc and more than adequate for our short stay.

We really enjoyed being there during off-season because there was only one other guest there so it felt like we had a private beach house. We ate breakfast on the covered wrap-around porch at the table right outside our room and took in the balmy breezes. Betty's made an emphasis on safety and security and though we felt very safe,she showed us how to lock the sliding doors, the safe in the closet and the motion-detecting security system outside each unit's door. One night when I couldn't sleep, I went out on the porch and just lounged on a chaise listening to the ocean and taking in the glow from the tube lights and lanterns she has illuminating the sandy beachfront backyard. Another night, my boyfriend and I walked down the beach for quite a while taking in the views-- lovely!

We got groceries at the supermarket up on the main street within walking distance and ended up renting a car from a small place we saw on the way back for a very affordable price. All in all- a great experience at the Horny Toad, you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2012

i stayed here when the volcano was erupting in iceland in 2010 last minute. after staying there for only a day i wanted the volcano to erupt for a bit longer what a stay. fabulous and lovely lady owner. big room with a kitchen with more appliances than i have in my own house! lovely partially outside shower area slightly erotic! but you can use the shower curtain. the beach there is extremely quiet and beautiful and i shall be returning in the future!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank ZBH88
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Ron and I spent 7 magical days and 6 unforgettable nights at the Horny Toad Guest House in St. Maarten. This was our first time to the island and to the Horny Toady, and it will not be our last. Our Honeymoon could not have been more perfect! Betty and her husband were incredibly welcoming, and surprised us on our one week anniversary with a cold bottle of champagne and flowers. The other guests were very friendly, and after a deep sea fishing adventure, Ron and I enjoyed sharing our catch of the day with the group at their daily gathering. The room had everything we needed, the cleaning staff did an excellent job, the views of the beach were priceless, and we will definitely be recommending the Horny Toad to all of our friends!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Pamela S
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Several of my family and I are scattered all over East Coast, USA and met up in St. Maarten for a week of fun, sun, catching up, and getting away from the daily grind. We had 8 days divided beteween SXM and Saba and spent our SXM days with Betty here. She and her husband were wonderful hosts, everyone who worked with her was a dream to deal with, the rooms were gorgeous, comfortable and each unique. We also had easy access to anything we may have wanted within walking distance, often without leaving the beach. I highly recommend this location for your own visit. And, don't let the funny name fool you; families of any stripe would be quite happy and comfortable here. I was home three days before I could easily remember what day I was in.

Room Tip: If you want the perfect room; take advantage of how accessible the hosts are before you go; they hav...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank MtnCJ
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I spent four delightful days at the Horny Toad, after two weeks at the Royal Islander. My goal was to relax and enjoy a quiet 70th birthday - and the folks at the Horny Toad exceeded my expectations in every way. The room was lovely, the daily maid service was luscious (especially the fresh flowers), the hosts were friendly and helpful, and the other guests were very nice as well. (I especially loved Callie, the friendly calico cat!) I couldn't have asked for a better stay - and Betty and Phil graciously honored my desire for "quiet" in all they did (and didn't do :-) !! It was one of the best birthdays I've had! (I had stayed at the Horny Toad a couple of times 20 years ago, and it has only gotten better and better over time - though all my memories are fond ones!) You can't beat the Horny Toad for location, comfort, beach, friendliness, and top-notch Caribbean style! I look forward to being back again soon!

Room Tip: My room was an end unit on the first floor - perfect! I didn't notice a hair dryer in the room...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Simpson Bay Resort & Marina
Turquoise Shell Inn
Turquoise Shell Inn
#6 of 7 in Simpson Bay

Been to The Horny Toad Guesthouse? Share your experiences!