My husband and I had a great time staying here. We were in the upstairs room with a balcony and front facing to the beach. It was awesome. We spent mornings on the balcony with our coffee enjoying the view and lovely weather and evenings with a glass of wine on the balcony as well. Our room didn't have much seating inside, but with a huge balcony with a table, 2 chairs, and also 2 lounge chairs, who needs to sit inside? We went in January and every day was 80 degrees and sunny. The beach right off the hotel was great for swimming, not cold at all and had a very sandy bottom. The place was clean and the daily made service was great. Very friendly staff. I can't say enough about the relaxing atmosphere here. There is a cute beach bar and restaurant right on the beach a couple of blocks down that you can walk to. There are lots of good restaurants within 1 or 2 miles. Also, plenty of grocery stores around if you want to cook or keep food/drinks in your room. (This island takes American dollars and everyone speaks English. Also, our credit card did not have a foreign fee charge, because it was charged in dollars. Nice surprise!) Many of the guests return the same weeks every year, so most of the other couples all knew each other. There is a gathering place where most of the guests meet to watch the sunset and bring appetizers to share. Very welcoming, even to us newbies. I hope to return to St. Maarten and would definitely stay here again, maybe even next year!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Horny Toad is a deliberately small and distinctive guesthouse known for its congenial and unpretentious atmosphere. The original building is a former governor's house tastefully renovated into spacious, fully-equipped apartments. Each of the eight apartments is delightfully different, displaying a personality of its own. All rooms have fully-equipped kitchens, king size beds, complete baths with shower, and daily maid service. Fresh flowers are arranged in the units every day. The guesthouse is on the beach and provides beach chairs, towels and floats. An outdoor barbecue pavilion with two Weber gas grills, table and hammock allow you to enjoy dining beach-side. Simpson Bay beach is a beautiful, uncrowded mile-long beach - just a few steps from each apartment - great for walking, swiming and sunbathing.The Toad has been awarded Fodor's Choice Award each year including the most recent in 2012. They called us the "island's best value" on the Dutch side of St Maarten.This is a No Smoking property. No children under seven years of age, please. We can arrange to have a rental car for your use and stock your unit with food before arrival upon request. There is free high-speed WiFi in all the units and a complimentary computer with internet access and printer in the business center/reception area. Free gated parking on the property. Grocery stores, French bakery, shops and multiple restaurants are within a 5-6 block walk. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Horny Toad Guesthouse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Horny Toad Guest House Hotel Simpson Bay
- The Horny Toad Guesthouse St Martin / St Maarten/Simpson Bay