“Improving”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
Hobe Sound, Florida
“Improving”
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Mary's Boon has just been reacquired by a previous owner who seems to be working very hard to improve the facilities. Rooms were being refurbished and outside painting and landscaping being done. We stayed for a few days both before and after our March 2nd cruise. We stayed in a beachside room the first time and the garden room the second time. The beachside room is worth the extra price. Sitting on the deck and watching the water is much better than fighting the mosquitos on the porch of the garden room. The furnishings in the beachside room was much better than the garden room with at least a comfortable sitting chair. The bed in both rooms was most comfortable but the plastic chairs and table in our garden room need an upgrade. Mosquitos were definitely a problem but they seemed to be trying to spray to eradicate them. We had some problems with our rooms - door lock, toilet running - but they were quick to fix the problems. They seem to be working to improve the infrastructure and are planning major upgrades to the rooms. The entire staff was most friendly and accommodating. The bar and restaurant are managed and owned by someone else. My husband says that Lisa fixes the best mojitos around! We ate in Tides during the stay prior to the cruise. Breakfast and lunch were excellent. Some dinners were very good. You can't beat the view of Simpson Bay and the airplanes landing and taking off right next to the hotel is a lot of fun. The resort has rooftop sitting areas so you can get up close and personal with the planes! The seating in the lobby is limited but comfortable. And the large crescent beach is very nice. Umbrellas and chaise lounges are available. This is not your everyday cookie cutter resort. It is eclectic yet comfortable. Taxis are readily available but a car rental would give you more freedom to roam the island. For example, there is a wonderful French bakery 5 minutes away.

Room Tip: Beachside rooms are the best...the views of the bay from the porch are wonderful.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank HBFLA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Polish first
Abington, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 March 2013

We recently stayed at Mary's Boon for ONE night...Thank God. When we checked in I was told we were upgrade, I thought "Oh great!" The gentlemen took us to our "Garden Suite" which was dated and dirty. We dropped off suitcases and went to get I bite to eat. When we returned later that night we walked in to find our suite infested by mosquitos. It was late and we had been traveling all day, so we just hopped into bed and covered ourselves up. When we woke up early the next morning, we were horrified!! There were mosquitos everywhere, mostly flying around the toilet. I just wanted out!!! My husband went to the sink to throw some water on his face and brush his teeth but couldn't because there was no water. We quickly packed up and left. When I checked out I told them not to check anyone in that "Suite" until they do something about the infestation of mosquitos. They acted putout that I was bothered by them, they told me that it's an island and they have trouble with mosquitos. I told them that is was my seventh year coming to St Maarten and I have NEVER experienced anything like that. I would never stay here again nor recommend it to my family, friends, or enemies.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Regina C
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I went there week ago ..half of the dishes they didnt have it on the menu ..we order the fish and it was waaay over cook .
Deserts nothing from the menu , only some chocolate cake terrible taste
Ambient is old and everything is nasty and full of dust .. While we eating our dinner we was trying to get rid of the house animals.. Including the rat what came out of the kitchen while i was waiting in the man's restroom
TERRIBLE , RATS ROACHES AND TERRIBLE FOOD TASTE
NEVER AGAIN TIDES RESTAURANT
find some new chef and a good Manager or close down that place

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Rodney J
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 March 2013

The water views are its best aspect. Molly the dog and playful kittens were a nice distraction. But I'm afraid that's all I could really say was good about the place.This is a strange place it's décor seems to be trying to be a bit bohemian but it's basically just bad taste. The service ranged from good to just outright rude. The appliance did not work from the air-conditioning, the hair-drier on the wall and the shampoo dispenser in the shower. What on earth were they thinking putting nylon bed linen on the beds in hot weather. Our room did not look like it had been dusted in years and the general cleanliness was poor. I woke up with insect bits all over my arms and legs. The food well just forget, $25 for a hamburger and beer, and the fish sandwich was tasteless.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Puebla, Mexico
Reviewed 17 March 2013

the best hotel ever, it's too close to the airport, but the planes don't disturb your sleep though, there is a convenience store about 2 blocks from it where you can find almost anything, the private beach is awesome and the staff is very friendly and helpful there is a jazz night at the restaurant it's a very cozy place.

Room Tip: you have to choose the garden studio it has a kitchen and a table, also it's independent and it...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We stayed at at Mary's Boon for 3 nights after spending 5 in Anguilla at a rented house. There was a stark contrast. We loved the location and all of the staff but our room was dated and dirty. The bathroom had pieces of carpet for rugs and I'm sure they never get washed, the shower was barely a trickle and I wore my flip flops the entire time in the room. However, the bed was clean and comfortable. I hope they renovate and I think they will- they had guys painting and hanging light fixtures but they room really really needs updating and a though cleaning. Again, the staff was amazing and the location was perfect and we did enjoy ourselves.

Room Tip: I think the larger rooms that are set off from the main hotel are nicer- and I think they may have b...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2013

We sailed the Caribbean for a week and booked Mary's Boon for the night we returned. It is uniquely located next to the airport. It has a great beach, good restaurant, and attentive front desk staff, in particular Kelly who helped us arrange a taxi to the airport. We ate all meals at the restaurant and the food was good.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Royal Palm Beach Resort
Royal Palm Beach Resort
#1 of 2 in Cole Bay

Been to Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!