“Just perfect, again”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
ct
“Just perfect, again”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

My favorite place in the caribbean. Would not think of staying anywhere else. We try to go to Mary's twice a year. This year we went in March for 9 days. Couldn't get enough so we came back in June and stayed 2 weeks. That was more like it! Through the years we have come to know many of the wonderful people who make this place so special. It's like coming home when you are greeted with such warmth and you just know your stay will be perfect. Even Stripe & Molly were happy to see us! I must say when I read some of the negative comments, I almost take it personally, but people have the right to their own opinion. I watch as guests leave to venture out to other beaches on the island and wonder why - Mary's beach is just so perfect - never crowded, attentive staff, your room steps away. Breakfast and lunch are always wonderful. Dinners can be inconsistent, but the location and atmosphere far outway this. When we do venture away from Mary's - even for the day, we find ourselves anxious to return. It is apparent the work that Mark is doing to improve, there's always a project going on, but I hope they stay mostly cosmetic because Mary's Boon is the real caribbean experience and not too much needs changing! I do miss being able to have a massage though, maybe soon? Don't change it too much Mark! Love it just the way it is....We can't wait to return and maybe we'll squeeze in visit #3 this year - keeping fingers crossed.....my best to Melvin, John, Lisa (keep in touch), Neilia,& Carol, all very special people.

Room Tip: I'm keeping my room favorite a secret
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank travelertostmartin
Mark C, Owner at Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Very happy to hear you had a great time at Mary's Boon.....again! Like I always say to my staff, most people just don't get enough vacation time and that's way we work hard everyday to try to make sure your vacation at Mary's Boon is as good as it can be. Yes, lots of upgrading projects going on and I am working on having the Spa fully open again and better than ever by late fall. Thanks for the kind words and we all look forward to seeing you back at Mary's Boon very soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Polish first
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We flew from Australia and initially booked for one week, after the first few days we changed our mind and stayed for 3 weeks, Mark the previous owner has now taken over the hotel again. The staff are wonderful Jo in the office, Melvin in the yard and Lisa in the bar just to name a few, Mark and the staff make you feel very comfortable and special. the location of the hotel is superb, you can walk to sunset beach and watch the planes, or walk to the bars and restaurants in Simpson bay or just enjoy one of the best beaches on St Marteens. After 3 weeks we left and moved around the island for 2 weeks but returned for 3 more days before we left. I would highly recommend this hotel for couples or families you will not leave disappointed.

Room Tip: choose a unit on the beach.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Warren S
Warren, thank you! What a real delight it was to have you and your wife stay at Mary's Boon and so happy you enjoyed your visit. I know it's not a easy trip coming from Australia to St Maarten but I hope you will return again and again. Safe travels wherever in the world you might be!
Thornton, CO
Reviewed 26 June 2013 via mobile

We flew into St. Maarten a day earlier than we had expected and were searching the internet when we were in between flights while in San Juan. We saw reviews, here, on TA, and decided to give it a try. Reviewers are right about proximity to the sxm runway, so if you a plane enthusiast this is the place for you! They even have top of the roof observation decks on which you can sun or watch the boats over one side or the planes on the other! The landscaping is just plainly described as beautiful. Tropical trees and flowers are everywhere. Though the concrete and stone-mixed sidewalks are a perfect complement to the landscape, they are difficult for thse who are using mobility devices! We ended up booking an extra week in one of the beachside units!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank JFirtion
Mark C, Owner at Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 29 June 2013
Thank you for your recent visit to Mary's Boon and for your kind words and so happy you enjoyed your stay. We recently became the owners again this past Thanksgiving Day and have been busy since then working on upgrading the property and rooms. Yes....the close by airport is just part of what has made Mary's Boon unique Caribbean style hotel for the past 43 years. Many of the islands largest Hotels are in our area and normally more fun to most that watch the planes come and go, than a negative issue as the airport does close at night. I agree that the cobblestone main hotel walkway could be easier to walk on to some but I do have in future plans to improve that without affecting what's been part of the Hotel since the beginning . We know that vacations are to far and few between and the staff works hard everyday to make sure your vacation at Mary's Boon is the very best possible. Please do keep us in mind for your next visit. Thanks again!
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Let me start by saying that this is one of many little boutique hotels on St. Marten that I have wanted to try. My husband and I had 1 night at the end of our stay on the island that we needed to find a hotel for so I looked up Marys Boon. There was a summer special so we thought we would give it a try.
First with the positives. We were allowed to check in early because the hotel was not busy. There is a lovely uncrowded beach. You can walk for a mile in each direction. Beach chairs were plentiful. There is a restaurant right on the beach. The food was very good for lunch. Not overly priced. Drink prices were a little high. The service was horrible but since they add an automatic 15% to the bill for service why should they care.
The grounds are well kept and clean but nothing special. The room that they gave us was right off the pool. We booked a garden view room but since the hotel was not crowded there seemed to be many. This must have been the room they give as their discount special. The garden era shed was on the little patio. Extra pool chairs were on the little patio. So it wasn't usable space. We must have been next to the laundry because the dryers were running all evening. The airplane noise was loud but stopped at 2145. The room itself was ok. It took about 5 minutes to get tepid water to take a shower. The room was quite hot and even with the ceiling fan on high and air conditioning on high it took 2 hours to cool the room enough to be able to sit in there. There were a few roaches that we found during the evening.
So I guess I'd say the site is beautiful and the hotel charming. I just would make sure I didn't get the room by the pool.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Debra V
Thank you for your recent visit to Mary's Boon and your review. We recently did become the owners again of the Hotel and busy working on updating the rooms and property which we hope to be completed by the end of the year. Even though the room you booked into was our most budget room I do totally understand how you felt as I had a similar experience while on a trip to Chicago at a Four Star hotel. You kind of get the feeling of being the stepchild as you walk past much nicer rooms but get put in the little room in the corner. Most of our guests book these rooms for short one or two night visits but it can be aggravating even if you know your paying less. We are working on correcting those issues you spoke of and making sure the guests that do book into that room understand that it is a small budget room but we will try to make it as nice as possible. By far, most of the negative reviews come from these few budget rooms at the Hotel and not the other nicer and larger rooms that are mostly beachfront that is typical of 80% of our hotel rooms. FYI....The restaurant is not managed by the Hotel ownership but is leased out but I will pass your thoughts along to that manager. Sometimes Island time goes a bit to far and no reason for slow service. If you want to review it its under Tides Restaurant on TripAdvisor. If you will give us another on your next visit I will make sure you have a nicer room and better Mary's Boon experience. Thanks!
Billings, Montana
Reviewed 24 May 2013

We loved our stay at Mary's Boon. The beach is pristine and rock free. If you cannot find a beach chair or an umbrella, one of the staff will quickly find one for you. The bar has steps that go right on to the beach and the restaurant overlooking the beach has great food and is never crowded. The rooms are eclectically furnished which gives you a feel of being in Europe, The bed was really comfortable. We had a small kitchenette but it had a microwave and refrigerator as well as a small stove. The people there ar great. They give you all the privacy or attention you need. DO NOT worry about the planes; they are thrilling and it's fun to see the differnt types that take off and land from the island. We loved it!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christie A
Mark C, Owner at Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
So happy to hear you "loved" Mary's Boon and had a great time. We know how important vacations are and my staff and I work hard to make sure you have the very best one possible. We are doing a lot of updating of the property and rooms now and hope you keep us in mind for your next visit to St Maarten. Its the NEW Mary's Boon! Thanks.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We found Mary's Boon Hotel almost by accident, though it was listed in Frommer's Guide.
We had booked another place, via Internet, but when we arrived (Travel Inn) we found it was awful and had to find somewhere else. That's where Frommer's Guide came in. We walked down Simpson Bay and stopped at Mary's Boon Hotel for breakfast. Whilst there, we explored the possibility of switching hotels and the rates offered by Mary's Boon were actually lower, after negotiation, than the Travel Inn but the rooms at Mary's Boon were in another class altogether. They were spacious, clean, comfortable,well-equipped, and right on the beach, with all the usual hotel facilities such as Bar, Restaurant, etc, none of which featured at Travel Inn.
The staff at Mary's Boon were fantastic, especially the lovely Elena in Reception and the bubbly Lisa in the Bar.
Mary's Boon is a GREAT place to stay and we'll definitely be back there !!!

Room Tip: Room 129 is just 10 steps from the beachfront and is highly recommended
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bob I
Mark C, Owner at Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Very happy that you had good time while at Mary's Boon, this is what we all love to hear! All of the rooms and property are now being updated (even room 129) so hopefully your next visit to Mary' Boon will be better than the last. Eleana is great and Lisa in the Bar keeps us all laughing! We want all of our guests to leave happy, tan and return again and again.

That's our promise and our goal. That's the new Mary's Boon!
Aventura, Florida
Reviewed 3 April 2013

My first experience at Mary's Boon was for my friend's recent wedding and me, my fiance and everybody else had the most amazing time. What a great place, what a great staff!!!! From the girl that manages the office (I looooved her accent) to Lisa and the beach guys, wow what to say, so helpful, friendly, professional and at the same time cool. The food was amazing, the beach stretch the best on the island, we didn't have to go anywhere else and even the planes were not bothering us but instead we took so many fun pictures. We all talked about coming back for a longer period not 4 or 5 days and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to experience the real, authentic Caribbean hotel.
P.S. Me and my fiance already started making some plans of having our wedding there too :)

Room Tip: Beach Front units are the best
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Helen392
Glad to hear you had a good time while at Mary's Boon. I was not there at that time but I heard to was a great and really FUN and CRAZY wedding! Thanks for the kind words on our staff....I am very lucky to have a great group that works hard to make everyone's vacation the very best. What can I say about Lisa in the Bar.....AMAZING and funny and fun! That's the real Mary's Boon! Thanks,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Simpson Bay
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Royal Palm Beach Resort
Royal Palm Beach Resort
#1 of 2 in Cole Bay

Been to Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!