We just got back last week from paradise, we stayed the week of 8/10-8/17. If i knew than what i know now, I wouldn't be writing this review i would still be in the on beach at the boon.
My wife and i picked up that week of a friend of ours who has a few time share weeks there. She told me she has been vacationing at the island for 20 plus years.
So, we took her week and we stayed at her beautiful 1-bedroom on the beach. The unit was #10 and I believe unit #9 has the same layout, though a bit different decor. the unit was very spacious with a full kitchen and fridge. the living-room was equally impressive size with a nice leather sofa that had two recliners on each side. It has cable tv in the living room and satellite tv with a flat screen in the bedroom. the bedroom had a king size bed and was very comfortable.
the location in our opinion bar none is the best on the island. its literally in back of the airport and in the middle of simpson bay. We live close to an airport in nj and never get tired of seeing the planes take off and land. its hard to believe the planes really don't bother you, for i believe the first flight out is like 8ish and the last flight in is probably 9ish. so dont let thought of plane let you pass by paradise. they also have an observation deck where you can watch planes take off or land....real cool.
the beach in front of the resort was spectacular.....calm, clear, blue water just what the doc prescribed. the funny thing was we rented a car searching for the best beaches on the island and the reality was we just had to open our french doors to get to it. I would suggest bring your snorkel gear, for you can see little fish swimming around. The beach it self was empty and for what i understand that most of the time its like that. we have never been to a beach that nice were basically it was just my wife and myself. there are plenty of chairs even if you wake up late for the beach.
the property is owned by mark and carla, which we had the pleasure of meeting on our trip. they are great down to earth people that not only care about improving the resort but making sure the guest is happy. i got so many tips and ideas from them. we were there just for a week but i see them hard at work improving the property. i loved the architecture of the property, for most inside of the buildings have the exposed wood beams. the exposure of wood beams and railings juxtaposition to the palms and simple garden walk way gives it a true Caribbean feel like no other.
the staff also help define mary boon is a place where not only a vaction begins, but where you come back to see family. it was such a pleasure to see melvin every morning. he would drop my papers by the door early on the morning. i would usally catch him a little later as he keeps with grounds. he would always ask me if we were having fun, and i would also get his thoughts if were going out for the day.....tell melvin we said hello, his friends from jersey. we also had the pleasure of meeting carol and tracy ann, who were taking care of our unit. they made our stay clean and comfortable.
we highly recommended this resort for family's, friends, couples, or even singles. marys boon is a treasure to explore for anyone looking for a resort with true Caribbean character.
again, thanks mark and carla and please don't make too many changes wee love the character of the resort.
we dont repeat vacations but i think we will have to repeat marys boon next year :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- WELCOME TO MARY'S BOON BEACH HOTEL & SPA - recently under new management since November 2012 and now busy updating the entire property and rooms. Please note that many of the room photo's you see online have not yet been updated to show the new rooms. The owners and staff of Mary's Boon Beach Hotel & Spa invite you to experience the magic of our historic hotel on the beautiful island of St. Maarten. A true Caribbean style hotel with all the compforts you expect and in operation since the early 70's. This intimately run St. Maarten Small Hotel is tucked away from the crowds, earning Mary's Boon the soubriquet, "St Maarten's Little Secret". Located on a beautiful three-mile beach Mary's Boon is conveniently near to the action. Great shopping, dining, night life and outdoor activities can be found close by, while affording guests a private haven to return to at the end of each day.If all you want to do is to while away hours in the sun, then Mary's Boon has all the elements to ensure a relaxing break away from the bustle of everyday life. The Hotel offers several types of accommodations, from the very budget minded economy rooms to 1 bedroom beachfront suites and amenities include The Tides Restaurant, bar service is from morning to late evening, and a swimming pool is just step away from your room. The winner of many awards and just voted "BEST HOTEL" in 2013 by the readers of the St Maarten Daily Herald Paper! Lovely tropical gardens and all situated on one of the islands' best beaches. Mary's Boon, a classic Caribbean destination, provides a unique Island experience that has something for everyone! It's the NEW Mary's Boon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com and getaroom.com so you can book your Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mary`s Boon Beach Hotel Simpson Bay
- Marys Boon Beach Plantation Hotel
- Mary's Boon Beach Resort And Spa St. Maarten-St. Martin/Simpson Bay