“Right ON the beach”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
Pickering, Canada
“Right ON the beach”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

When I say "right on the beach" it is actually right on the beach. Your host Raul is very nice and welcoming. The food is very good and the beach side bar is fun. The beach is the draw. You can walk 10 steps into the ocean, turn around and be sitting back at your bar stool. The bay views are breath taking and the airport is within walking distance. Come and enjoy yourself like I did and see what Mary's Boon has to offer.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Polish first
Tennessee Ridge, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Finished your cruise and waiting for your plane? We were. It was going to be a long Saturday (Dec. 21, 2013) from our 8:45 ship debarkation until our 3:45 flight. We had seen as much of St. Martin as we wanted and were not thrilled about spending 6 hours in the airport (nice as it is). Friends we made on the cruise suggested going to the restaurant at Mary's Boon to hang out and get a late breakfast and lunch before going to the airport. We did and it was great. The menu has lots of good choices. (Note: it took about an hour from the time we placed our lunch order until it arrived, but we had lots of time and this was no problem.)

The staff was very accommodating even though we had not stayed at the hotel. They kept our luggage by the desk and we pretty much had the restaurant to ourselves all morning through lunch. The manager/owner (Mark Cleveland) walked us to the taxi they had called for us and chatted until it came. He's a nice guy and has owned the place twice.

The hotel is at the end of a road parallel to the main highway to the airport so your taxi has to maneuver around for a few minutes on a side road to get you to the hotel or back to the airport. Our fare from the dock to the hotel was $10 US per person and from the hotel to the airport $5 US per person. Lunch for two was about $40 US with tip.

There are planes that land and take off and we heard about half a dozen in the four hours we were there. We wondered what that would be like, but each plane noise lasts about 10 seconds and then all you have is the little beach and some tiny waves to watch from the restaurant.

While we did not stay at the hotel, based on the hospitality we got, I think it could be a great place to spend a few days.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Calgary
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Just returned from a three week stay at Mary's Boon. It was my fourth visit. When I got up to the desk I was greeted by the long time staff I know and love, "Welcome home!"

The relaxed and family-like atmosphere is just what I need when I go on vacation.

The beach and water are just as beautiful as I remember them, although there was a little more rubbish around because of the high seas the past few weeks. Not much can be done about that, but may I suggest installing a couple of bins on the beach for the people who pick up after themselves?

We stayed in room #119, a one bedroom unit which we rented from Mark, the owner. It was at the back, but it is still just steps to the beach, has a fully furnished kitchen and large fridge. Huge bed was really comfortable with cotton sheets that smelt great.

Despite this room being so close to the runway, the airport is not much of an issue for me. The jets don't start leaving until about 9:30 in the morning...but by then I would hope you'd be out of bed and on the beach! The deck upstairs from this room is a great place to watch the planes. The guys have been busy making improvements up there as it had been looking neglected and not well-used.

A big thank you to all the staff who made us feel so comfortable. Elena, Neilia, Marlon, Ronnie, Carol, Raul, Yellow, Miss Tracy, John, Federico, Igor (you are a riot!) And Melvin brought us newspapers every morning. Long time employees tell you a lot about a place.

As for the restaurant and bar, I've never had a bad meal or drink in there. Service is friendly and I never feel rushed, who needs that when you are on holidays?

I will close with a line from a previous review of 2011 "If you are looking for a calm, caring place to be yourself, this is it."

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Virginia Beach, VA
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We rented from the owner one of his units. We had a contract and when we checked in they had put someone else in our unit. So we were given a comparable unit. Nicely furnished. Unfortunately this unit had some issues.... We woke up to a sink full of water bugs crawling all over the kitchen counter. They came in and sprayed, moved everything out, bleached and did everything possible to fix it. Two days later the bugs were back. They were able to move us to another room.. Smaller but right on the beach. It was beautiful and the rest of our stay was fine. The staff there is wonderful... The beach is the best on the island. We would come back. They have security and they do everything possible to accommodate the customer.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Mark C, General Manager at Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
I guess alls good that ends good as they say and happy to hear that you did have a over all great time at Mary's Boon. As they may have told you, during your visit or just before your visit the island had a few days of very heavy rain which cause I blocked up gutter on the roof to overflow so that room you were first in got some water on the floor in the kithen area. We really don't have any bug issues to speak of but after so much rain its not that uncommon for any bugs to start to moving around. Anyhow....glad to hear you had a good visit and we looking forward to seeing you at Mary's Boon again. Thanks.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I just stayed there in October when I visited St Martin for the second time. When I first saw it from the airplane, I was like Hell No! Some disclaimers; it is tricky to find from the airport despite being right next to the airport. I was there during off season, so I imagine it is much louder during the on season.
The rooms were nice. I had a room upstairs near the upstairs bar. I imagine during the busy season this would not be a preferred room because of the noise. The beach is what St Martin is all about. There is a pool but it was dead and a mosquito trap. The hotel has a restaurant and a spa, but I never saw much activity there. The wifi was not really working so if you need to be connected this is not the place. The people who worked at the resort were very friendly. The great thing about St Martin is you can just do your own thing and no one bothers you. I was pleasantly surprised by the resort and the charm that is Mary's Boon. Thanks to Mark and Lauren for sharing this place. If I ever get back to St Martin I would def stay there!. Also this resort lets you bring your pets!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank cwaldejensen
Mark C, Owner at Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Glad to hear you had a good time and despite a few minor issues will return. About 70% of our guests are repeat and visit over and over again. We don't normally have any problems with good internet in the rooms, many rooms also have it hard wired into the room. If their is a problem the office can fix it if you ask. Marlon is our property manager and is there to take care of that kind of thing. It sounds like you were in a room that was maybe a little farther away from a antenna but we have recently added more and their is always good always free internet in the Lobby and rooms. Yes we are close to the airport as are some of the largest hotels on the island but noise is normally not a issue with most guests as it's not what most would consider a busy airport and it normally closes at around 10pm. Sept - October is about the slowest month tourist wise and can be a wet buggy month also which is just part of being in the tropics. I would say mosquitoes during the day are not ever that common and then only just after sundown and around sunrise and most present if their is no breeze but their normally is a nice breeze. . It is island wide and Fortunately they don't bother at lot of people, I'm not this lucky but you just have to know when to be outside if they are a problem. We do have a great friendly staff many that have been with us for 30 years or more. We are in the process of upgrading all of the rooms and property. Yes it's the beach that most guests come for and We are lucky to have one of the largest non crowded white sand beaches of any hotel on the island. We have rooms and suites for about every budget most done in a West Indies or Bali decor. Thanks again for your visit and hopefully it won't take as long to return next time!
Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Once again we returned to St Marteens and stayed for 12 days at Mary's Boon, another great stay, if your looking for all the frills of a 5 star resort this is not for you, but if you are looking for that more intimate resort on one of the best beaches in the Caribbean than Mary's Boon is for you. This is one hotel you need to experience at least once and you will be hooked. The rooms are tastefully decorated and are all very spacious, they are currently renovating a number of the rooms. Can't wait to return once again...

Room Tip: We like the rooms towards the airport on the beach.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wazza262
Very happy to hear you had another wonderful visit to Mary's Boon. I can assure you we are looking forward to your rapid return to Paradise just as much as you are! Thanks!
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I was searching for one night stay close to the airport as I was arriving late evening to St. Maarten and leaving early morning. I wanted to stay in hotel in walking distance from airport terminal for acceptable rate. Unfortunately I did not find anything in walking distance. Therefore this was sort of compromise between comfort, rate and distance from terminal. Taxi to the hotel was USD10 even distance is really short - and in the morning I had to pay USD15 as I was leaving just 5 minutes before 6am when additional charge applies - (but having suitcases it's not worth to walk). Arriving to the hotel in later evening was comfortable and the guy at the entrance gave me a key without having to go to front desk. Room was nicely equipped and comfortable. Yes it was equipped some years ago but still it was functional including small kitchen area. My room was sort of basement room with limited size windows but it really did not matter to me as I was feeling good inside. I had a chance to walk on the beach which was very nice and comfortable to spend vacations in this area. I was afraid of the noise from the airport that is just few meeter away but I did not hear almost anything. I spent comfortable night in this hotel and room rate was excellent. The proximity of the airport might be an issue for some guests - and it's important to choose good located room. I can imagine this hotel was really good years ago - now best years are over - still you might spend good holidays in this resort.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Martin P
Mark C, Owner at Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
I want to thank you for your visit to Mary's Boon. Yes the taxi fare from the airport is normally as you said and the reason its little more late at night or early in the morning is because their is not as much demand at that time so they have to charge a bit more since they have less business. For late night arrivals such as yours (office is closed after 9 pm) the security guard has the key for those late check inn's. As other hotels, we offer many different rates and room category/ budget to deluxe,etc and the room you had was one of our most budget room and what we call a lower lobby room which is one level down for our main lobby area and perfect for a quick visit. I think most guests would say its a nice size room with high ceilings and one high window and we are in the process of updating those rooms also. As you pointed out some of the largest hotels on the Island are very close to the airport as is Mary's Boon which is along Simpson Bay Beach. Most people first thought is OMG its really close to the airport....but Airport noise is generally very limited during the day and nothing like a typical or larger airport and the airport does close at night and the many great things normally to most way out number the airport which also can be fun at times too. Mary's Boon was one of the very first Hotels on the island over 40 years ago and is constantly being improved or updated and the hotel still has a lot of really great years ahead and not just in the past. I would say 90% of any sort of negative review or comment comes from guests that arrival late, book into a budget room and then have to leave early before having the opportunity to explore the charm that Mary's Boon has to offers. If you ever have the time, please do visit us again and I will make sure you have the great Mary's Boon experienced that so many have enjoyed over the many years. Thanks again and safe journeys for the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Simpson Bay
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Royal Palm Beach Resort
Royal Palm Beach Resort
#1 of 2 in Cole Bay

Been to Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!