“Better than Expected”

Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We had never stayed in near the airport in St Maarten and decided to give Mary's Boon a try since we got a great rate and it was right on the beach.
We arrived at 12:15 and were greeted by a friendly gentleman and a more friendly woman who showed us to our room, which was ready. The room was clean and quite large. It had a small kitchenette. The furnishings were ornate.
We headed down to Karakters for lunch and some beers, but that will be a separate review.
After lunch we headed back to our room and showered, there is a huge walk in shower with a rain head shower. We went to the bar to have some drinks and as a joke my husband asked for diet tonic since that is truly what I drink and the bartender left and came back with it... wow is all I can say. We then moved to the dining room. We sat right at the edge of the rail looking at the beautiful ocean. We had some great escargot that were covered with cheese. An okay Caesar salad. Then our entrees, hubby had chicken, with sliced potatoes and it was cooked perfectly. I had the special... mahi mahi and it was wonderful and beautifully served.
Our king bed was comfortable and I liked the pillow more than most hotels. Air conditioning worked great, I like to be cool while I sleep.
Check out was not until noon which was another bonus.
The beach is nice, the chairs are free and the beer is cold. Lots of shade available.
I would recommend Mary's Boon due to the friendliness and excellent service of the staff and the beautiful beach. The rooms are fine and clean.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cindeeandjim

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Mary's Boon
A small boutique resort nestled between the airport and the pristine beach Simpson bay beach. It consists of bungalow style rooms with plenty of facilities and equipment such as a small kitchen with microwave, blender, toaster etc. The rooms are basic but comfortable.

Best feature is location - right on the beach with plenty of sunbeds to relax. During my stay the weather was around 30* degrees but with a gentle cooling sea breeze making ideal conditions.. The restaurant is set about 2m above sea level so the views at morning breakfast are simply spectacular boasting 180 degree views the whole length of the beach.

The main Simpson bay township is a 10min walk away and taxi to airport only 10min costing $12USD.

Only critism is quality of food at the restaurant - very average, I tried the eggs Benedict which cost $13. Will seek breakfast in town next time. Also only basic coffee available, no cappuccino. $5 Mojitos make up for it though with a great selection of 9 delicious flavours.

Resort is recommended as great value getaway location without any crowds yet in a convenient location. Ideal for families, couples, solo travelers etc.

** Warning ** Can be noisy during daytime as it is right next to the airport runway!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We wanted a beach location for a couple of nights, and didn't want a big hotel. MB was perfect for us. Our room was on the lower level (we were on a budget), with no view, but we didn't care because we knew we'd be outside during day anyway. Spacious room with huge comfortable bed (see photo). We could hear the band from bar upstairs, but that was a bonus because the sax player was terrific. The band playing on beach on the weekend was great. Yes, the planes nearby were noisy, but we thought it was great fun to go up on the observation deck and watch them come & go (the plane noise is limited, because the traffic isn't as frequent at US big airports). All in all, a good stay.

Room Tip: Lower level room (see photo) next to wine closet was good and less costly than beach view rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Mark C, General Manager at Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Very nice to read your review especially from someone that travels as much as you do! Most people do like out lower lobby rooms after they get past walking downstairs as they are as you said nice size rooms at a budget price. Just up the steps is a great white beach about 30 sec away which is just one reason why most people stay at Mary's Boon. Many Sundays we do have a band on the beach that normally ends at 5PM, Saturdays and Sundays from about 1PM to 4PM the airport traffic is the heaviest but still not near as busy as a normal USA airport and fun to watch. The airport closes at around 10pm when the last flight arrives. Thanks again for your comments and please keep us in mind for the next time....its how I feed my kids!

Reviewed 1 March 2014

The room we rented was just okay. Was $150 a night. The room clean but dated. It has a glass window on the door, so even with blinds it was impossible to shut out the light from the enclosed entry. The room stayed relatively bright all night long. There was no view. This was one of the cheapest rooms with a king size bed. I'm sure there are better deals to be had in the area. The quality of the food was very good. We met friends for dinner. The snooty French waiter said he couldn't split the check between the us and the other couple. This was a first for us on SXM after six trips here. He just didn't want to do it. Aside from our server, I found the other employees friendly and outgoing. This was the ONLY place on the island that we ate at where 15% gratuity is added to the bill regardless of the size of the dining party. The receipt then has a place to add a tip. If you don't pay attention, you could be tipping your server more than you want without realizing it. I dislike this practice unless there's a large group of diners. The location is nice, but so are a lot of similar places in SXM. The food was pretty good. The service a little sketchy. I wouldn't stay there again unless there was no other choice. I feel the room was overpriced. I think the place could stand some updating.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank luandpat

I would like to thank you for your visit to our hotel and for your comments as its always nice to hear our guests thoughts, good or bad so we can make things better. We do have a few rooms with glass windows and curtains with a light just outside the door. I like a room that is as dark as possible too at night so I can see how that could bother someone so we have just added heavier dark out curtains to the those doors. Yes, of course their is always a better rate to be found. Your visit was during our very high season and the budget room is $150 plus taxes per night and we do try to stay as competitive as possible which for a hotel on the beach is about normal for the time of year and location. We have updated about half of the rooms last year and will update most of the others before this fall. Glad to hear you enjoyed the food in the dining room but really sorry to hear about the bad service as their is no excuse for that. No idea why they can't split a bill. The Restaurant and Bar are not operated by the Hotel and is leased out by another local company so we don't control that but I will for sure pass your comments along to the restaurant owner. I am not crazy either about the practice either but I will say that the adding of the 15% to the bill is really fairly common on the Dutch Side of the Island and is normally the tip. If you return to St Maarten again please do give us another chance, it your not 100% happy just pay us what you think is fair. It not just about the money and we do try to make every happy and give good value. Thanks again.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Recently stayed 2 nights in Simpson Bay before heading off to the French side of the island. If you are looking for a solid beach experience- good frozen drinks, tasty food choices, sun loungers placed neatly on white sand behind azure blue water- then this place does not disappoint. The beach is lovely and I could go on and on about it. Staff is very friendly too.

The property is charming, with rooms reached via nice little garden pathways. I stayed in Room #104, a Jr. Suite/garden view with the pool located just outside my door. 2 persons can make do in the room if you are looking to keep costs down ( rates for these room types drop down to $90 per night in late summer). But really the room is just space enough for 1 person.

Mary's Boon is situated on a nice patch of sand. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

PS. Sundays offer live entertainment right on the beach. Good music and a very chill vibe indeed.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Mark C, Owner at Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

I want to thank you for your visit to Mary's Boon and happy to hear you had a great time. We are lucky to have one of the best non crowded beaches on the island and a great bar and restaurant. Of our 37 rooms we have 3 mini Garden rooms of which 104 is one of them. Nice but European small with king bed and offered at a little better price than our larger rooms both in the garden or beachfront. Thanks for the kind words and please keep us in mind for the next time!

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I have been in St Maarten for a few years and stayed at a few hotels on the same stretch of beach that Mary's Boon is located. The other hotels were cheaper (30%-50%) and had better accommodations and cleanliness. My room at Mary's Boon cost $180 for one night- the 'Economy Suite' (no breakfast included). The best way to describe it was a 'basement bunker'. There was no natural light. The room had cockroaches, mosquitoes and bed-bugs/fleas (maybe you pay extra for those?!). I do not react to mosquito bites, but after one night in my room the following morning there were large, sore welts all over my legs and torso. The internet was non-existent and it was a 'black-hole' for cell phone service. When I checked out there was no-one to help with my luggage and I had to carry 2x 20kg bags up 2 flights of stairs. If you are planning on staying in the Simpson Bay area (be aware of aeroplanes - if you want peace and quiet this is not the area for you!) and would like a beach front guest-house/hotel try Azure Boutique Hotel or Horny Toad Guest House - both are by far superior in cleanliness and better value for money.

Room Tip: The beach side rooms have a better location but cost $250+ per night (and still no breakfast!)
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Solo-Claire

I found this review a bit odd and just a little suspicious as I have not been able to find when this guest actually stayed at the Hotel. No problems were ever reported the staff or office as if it was it would have been taken care of right away. From what I can see this was the reviewers first and only Trip advisor review. I find odd that in the review she recommends other cheaper and better hotels yet did not stat there. With that said, I feel bad if this guest had these problems as this is just a very uncommon to get this type of comment and is just not very consistent with most reviews over the past year or so. Not that those types of problem can not happen from time to time as we are not always perfect but to try to please each guests as much as possible. The lower lobby rooms have their own wireless Internet router just outside those doors 15 feet away so good Internet should not be a problem unless the local island provider was not working and if so that would normally be for a short period of time. This is the tropics so some bugs are in the area but just not the normal thing to hear about and certainly not like described as the entire property treated each month by a pest control company. I can say that some people react differently to a change of climate. The room is has described which is a budget lower lobby room which is a level down from the main lobby but does have a high window with natural daylight if you want to open the blinds. The room is fairly large and does have about a 10 foot ceiling with a kitchenette with microwave, sink and mini fridge table and chairs. The rate for that room is $150.00 plus the tax and service that brought it up to $180 per night. In the summer months the rate goes down to $95.00 per night. No breakfast included which again is normally the case at most Island hotels unless you take a all inclusive rate. She arrive in the peak of high season which is a very compete price for that time of year.and the hotel is normally 100% booked 20 nights out of the month during this time period. Many of the largest Resorts and smaller hotels on the island are very close to the airport and the airport is just not a problem with most guests as its not that busy and closes around 10pm. In fact most like to go over and watch the planes land and take off. I find that if we get any negative hotel comments they normally come from one night guests that arrive at night and depart early and book into a budget room and don't have time to see what great things Mary's Boon has to offer. If their ever is a problem if they guest will just tell the staff we will take care of it or compensate them accordingly, that's our promise. Thanks.

Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

MIidy's Boon is located right next to Karacters which means that it is not easy to find, but it is well worth looking for! The beach is gorgeous...long enough for a nice walk with pure white sand, warm water, and quiet yet not isolated making it...perfect! The food is very good; the drinks are strong; the waitress is very nice; the lounge chairs are very comfortable; and the atmosphere is quiet and relaxing.
We visited Mary's Boon more than once during the week we were in St. Maarten and we will definitely return there again. There are rooms for rent there and a spa, but we only made day trips there from our resort.

• Stayed: January 2014
Grand Case Beach Club
Grand Case Beach Club
#2 of 8 in Grand Case
Mercure Saint-Martin Marina & Spa

Been to Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!