“It's a little peace of Paradise”

Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
GR, NJ
“It's a little peace of Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2006

We loved Mary's Boon so much we purchased our week. Carla and Mark are wonderful owners. They have a first rate staff always willing to help. We now have new friends who own the same weeks we do so we meet on the "observation" deck for cocktails to watch the planes arrive and depart. The beach has new chairs and umbreallas and is cleaned every day. During my two weeks in SXM, I wanted to take yoga. Carla was very accommodating and I was able to set up the observation deck and have my class overlooking the caribbean and the runway. It was the ultimate setting. The food is great and we even had a few private catered dinners on our beach front patio. Carla worked with the chiefs to make us some really memorable dinners. Our neighbors caught on and they too joined in the festivites. The rooms are cleaned every day (I always make the bed and find the housekeeper has re-made it her way). We love Mary's Boon and are hoping to purchase additional time down there. If you aren't happy at Mary's Boon, I promise you, you will never, ever, be happy at any other resort

Moore & Paula
GR, NJ

• Stayed March 2006
11 Thank PgalC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2006

After reading all the reviews I felt that I could live with the airport noise. Boy was I wrong. The planes arrive early in the morning and can go until late at night. They are very very loud and very, very frequent. We tend to stay on the beach or by the pool of our hotel so the airplane noise was a serious problem for us.

The pool area is very small and has no service.

Having said that I have little else to complain about. The staff is lovely and eager to please. The rooms are pleasant and well maintained. The kitchenette was appreciated and kept clean for us. The food really was good. There is a library of books for the reading.

Saskia of Random Wind Charters pitched her service and we took the sunset cruise and and the all day cruise and we loved them. She, her husband and their captain and crew were delightful. She is also a good cook!

• Stayed December 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pawleys Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2006

We have been regulars at Mary's Boon for several years now, and cannot imagine any more comfortable or well-run resort available on the island. The owners and staff are warm, personable, professional, and flexible. I have read a review that seems to be a repeat of a disgruntled person. Some episode about coffee not being available. All I can say is that Carla, the owner, has not worked the dining room for the last five years as she has young children, so it is hard to believe that this patron discussed the problem with her directly. Our experience at Mary's has never been short of great service, and a sincere interest in making every guest comfortable and happy.

The rooms are decorated in tropical motif, with kitchenettes, great bathrooms, and lots of light. The beach is right outside your door; a perfect beach: serene, sparsely attended, with beach chairs and umbrellas. Mary's has an awsome diningroom with excellent food, served family-style - and seconds if you can fit it! My career is food related, and I am impressed with the offerings. The diningroom opens to the beach - a gorgeous setting!

There has been mention in the reviews about the proximity of the airport being a negative. To us, it's great entertainment watching all types of aircraft, and the activity has never bothered us in any way. I'm not sure what more I can say, Mary's Boon is a very special place and the guests that appreciate it time and time again prove this to be true.

• Stayed February 2006
13 Thank Sydney43
Northern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2006

Since Mary's Boon has received mixed reviews on this site, but was voted one of the 10 best hotels in the Caribbean by Conde Nast last year, we were curious to find out what it was really like.

We booked a garden-view room, and yes, it had to be prepaid. When we arrived, we were pleasantly surprised. Our room was spacious and nicely decorated in the Caribbean style. The kitchen was well set up and the bathroom was quite large.

The hotel consists of several cottages, some split into two or more rooms, right on the long beach at Simpson Bay. Yes, it's also right on the Juliana airport runway, but we found the planes flying in and out to be interesting and exciting. (My husband is a pilot and we are both interested in aviation.) Because I had a cold, I spent most of my time at the hotel, but I was not bothered by the airport noise.

The beach is only steps away, and the small restaurant has a beautiful view. An added plus was the second-story observation deck from which you could see not only the airport, but also the lagoon. There was usually a variety of boats in the bay, especially when the drawbridge that provides access to the lagoon was closed.

Mary's Boon provides wireless Internet and cable television. There is also a nice library and a computer for guest use in the reception area. What more could you want?

• Stayed January 2006
6 Thank MaestraM
Arkansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2006

We booked one night at Mary's Boon before moving
to La Samana--which is wonderful. We selected MB
based on outdated glowing reports from Conde Nast and
Frommers. Those reports must have been before the
airport expanded and added numerous flights. Mary's Boon is adjacent to the runway. It was like being on the runway as plane after plane took off or landed. The room was also filled with jet exhaust. I recommend strongly that you not select this hotel.
The room cost was $270. Wow, what a mistake.

• Stayed February 2006
3 Thank cbgtraveler
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2006

We have just gotten back from St.Maarten and in my opinion Mary's Boon is still the best small Caribbean Style Hotel on the Island This was our 3rd visit and each time was better than last. Like most Hotels they do have their great rooms and their less than great rooms but still all rooms are very nice depending on the price you want to pay. I would say their room rates are on Par with the rest of the Island, as St.Maarten or the Caribbean is not known to be a cheap vacation. But they do have their so called budget rooms if that's what you want. You do get what you pay for at Mary's Boon and is worth the money spent, plus every time we go they are totally full or close to it. I think that says so much to see a full parking lot day after day. You know something is good when you see that. I was impressed with the good over all reviews that Frommer's Caribbean Guide, Conde Nast Magazine and the New York Times to name a few, have all rated as a great hotel and even one of the Top Ten in the
Caribbean! I have read some things about the airport noise but its really not a big deal unless you have ears like Bugs Bunny. Relax...The larger planes are few and far between and go bye,bye in just a few seconds and are really kind of fun to watch. I think the last plane we heard came in around 9pm or so. Over the past few years we have gotten to know the Staff at Mary's Boon and you will find few better anywhere. Sure, you may experience from time to time some low water pressure or see a bug or ant, but those are not unique just to Mary's Boon, they go along with being in Paradise and being on a small Island in the middle of the ocean! What you will find is a great small Hotel on a long private beach, very nicely furnished and clean rooms all of which are no more than 100 feet or so from the beach with plenty of brand new beach chairs plus excellent food and a very friendly repeat cliental and Staff. To us Mary's Boon is the Caribbean Queen...We will return again!

• Stayed January 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2006

I've been to Mary's Boon thrice and quite frankly don't understand why several recent reviews have rated it so low. It's on the most gorgeous beach on the Dutch side of St Martin. Most of the other hotels/resorts are on man made beaches or beaches that you have to drive to. MB's is a small resort and unless you have the garden view all rooms open up to the ocean.

It's in a great location for dining, bars, nightclubs and casino's. Yes, the pool is small but why go to the Caribbean and stay at a resort on the beach if you're going to rate it based on the pool? Secondly it has a dining room that serves 3 meals a day, has Internet service, perfect place for a honeymoon. It is not a high-end resort. There are few to none in St Martin. Mostly 3 star small resorts except for La Samana. The ambience at MBs is that of a bed and breakfast and the withered look of the bedspreads is part of the charm. I have no complaints about the beds, all 4 poster and quite comfortable. The airplanes landing and taking off is part of the appeal. There are no large plans taking off or landing early in the morning or late a night so it should not interfere with one's sleep. It's behind the runway yes and I'm a light sleeper and it has never bothered me. MBs has an observation deck where you can sit and watch the planes taxing down the runway.

When I'm on the Dutch side it's the only hotel I'll consider.

6 Thank newguest
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Royal Palm Beach Resort
Royal Palm Beach Resort
#1 of 2 in Cole Bay

Been to Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!