“perfect famly trip. going back next year”

Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
MA
“perfect famly trip. going back next year”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2010

had a great stay, great location, friendly service, beautiful beach.

• Stayed January 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Polish first
Black Hills, SD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2010

Absolutely Great from the moment we stepped in the gate and were greeted. The staff was great; always friendly and helpful. Superb beach. Easy getting to Simpson Bay and Maho on foot along beach or road. Easy cab ride to Philipsburg or anywhere else. Great beach. Close to airport, some noise, but ends by night. Canceled stay at another hotel to stay longer at Mary’s Boon. Unlike the French side, the Dutch side has great nightlife and Mary’s Boon puts you in easy reach.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
edmonton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2010

Fantastic spot, the sounds of the planes are not very distracting. It is actually fun to go have afternoon cocktail on the roof top patio and enjoy the afternoon flights depart into the sunset!

I have been to Mary's Boon on many occassion, each time on my own. I felt very safe and secure being there on my own. The food in the restaurant is fantastic anythime of the day. Soon the staff there is like family and they'll keep and eye out for you. This last trip I brought a few friends and they now know why I'm in love with this hotel and Island.
I've also had a chance getting to know, the house dog Stripe. I've watch him grown from a little abandoned puppy that the owners of Mary's Boon rescued. He is there to say hello to everyone at check in and check out, and keeping an eye on the property.

i would definitley recommend Mary's Boon Beach Plantaion as a fab p;ace to stay!

i've

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
san diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

Love the rooms, they are true island treasures, very caribbean styled, and the location on the beach is phenomenal, you walk out your door and it's nothing but ankle deep white sand. The resturant has fantastic food at great prices, and the weekend beach parties are alot of fun.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

My friend and I booked a week trip here and had a great time. We ate right near the water, what a view, food was very good and never seen an honor bar before. The rooms were clean & staff was friendly. The airport is right next door and I thought it was going to be too loud but it was really cool to be so close and watch those planes take off. I really enjoyed myself relaxing on the beach.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
thornhill
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

I had been here before and just loved the sandy ocean right in front of the door. There was no "waiting for an elevator...cause there isnt any" It was all very simple, i stayed facing the ocean and could walk off my porch or landing and there I was , on the ocean. The sound of the ocean was nice to hear and gave a real calming efffect when i was retiring to sleep. Of course i prefer to sleep without air conditioning. There was a constant breeze on the island and that was a touch you dont find everywhere. The room large and furnished with colonial furniture. I liked the fact that it has a semi kitchen and i could go to the local store a 1/4 mile down the road and just go to my suite and eat and drink at random. You know just grab a apple or orange and go back to the ocean. The beds were comfortable and the chamber maids kept the room clean . The restaurant always had good food and the bar was always available to get what ever one wanted. They had just put in a spa in when i was there and a comforting massage was relaxing. The whole complex was more like going to your cottage as all the people staying there seemed like they had stayed there before and were repeaters. I actually made some new friends and everyone was affable and friendly. I was surprised to meet different walks of people from a lawyer couple, a stock broker, a cigar brokers ect. All of the people were extremely friendly .I will definitely go back for R& R again.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2009

It's too late now, but I can still wish we'd taken the time to visit TripAdvisor before our post-cruise journey took us through St. Maarten 2 weeks ago. So many bad reviews must have some basis in fact. I'VE LEARNED MY LESSON, TRIPADVISOR! I've traveled quite a bit over the years and stayed at perhaps a thousand different hotels all over the world. This was the worst experience of my life, bar none!

First, the service was simply horrible. The reception staff was cold and unfriendly. There was no help with our luggage to the second floor room. After dropping our bags we went to the restaurant for a late breakfast, waiting for 20 minutes before I had to chase down a waitress in order to get a menu. 15 minutes later I had to go to the front desk to ask them to tell the waitress to come and take our order! The food was edible but nothing more. We hadn't even been there an hour and we wanted out!

As for the room itself, it was dingy and had not been cleaned well. OK, this is a beach hotel, but there was beach sand in all parts of the room left from the prior guests. I'm not sure if we were above the kitchen but it smelled like someone had been deep-frying chicken in the room. Not kidding.

In the early afternoon, we took a taxi down to central Philipsburg, visited and checked the rates of several beach front hotels. Even with all the tourists and casino-goers, they were much better values, even if the beach there is not as picturesque. We spent the rest of the afternoon in this area to avoid the room and the slow, service.

And let us not forget the jet noise so often mentioned in these reviews. No matter how bad you imagine it could be, it's worse. That night there several flights which arrived between 1:00 and 3:00 am, which made it impossible to sleep. It’s just unbelievably loud.

I tried to spend some time on the beach the next morning and although it’s very lovely in itself, it’s completely spoiled by that airport, both the noise and the smell of jet fuel.

In short, my wife and I strongly recommend that people considering this overpriced nightmare of a hotel take a lesson from us and choose any other place on the island, period.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Royal Palm Beach Resort
Royal Palm Beach Resort
#1 of 2 in Cole Bay

Been to Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!