“Do. Not. Stay. Here.”

Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
Reviewed 6 January 2011

The 747s shook the walls of our room. Awful. When I read about this hotel I had no idea that we would be staying about 50feet from the runway. They should be honest and tell people about this beforehand.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Coburnicus

Reviewed 5 January 2011

any closer to the runway and you could launch the planes. The pool was a toilet and nobody was in it. The room was clean. It's a place to sleep. Go to the french side to eat and hang out. Yes I'm American and the French hate me but I like the their food. This hotel? one foot on the beach and one foot on the runway.
Oh and lets not forget the extreemly rude and useless staff. I need a cab one day an it was like yeah so what should we do. You want information the phone book is in the lobby.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cybdiver
Reviewed 22 November 2010

My husband and I stayed at Marys Boon for the fourth time and enjoyed it just as much as our first time. Was fortunate enough to be there for their annual beach party with a live band (One White Chick). Lots of people, good music and great weather - what more could you want. We stayed in deluxe beachfront studio which was very comfortable and clean. Bed was super comfy. Mosqiuto problem in bathroom. Great patio out front to sit and relax. Steps to probably the best beach on the island. Noticed the grounds and pool area were not as meticulaously tidy as it has been in the past. Not sure if it is due to the new owner or to the fact that the groundskeeper/maintenance guy is on vacation. Hope its the latter. Would gladly stay at Marys Boon again - the location for us is excellent and the beach is fabulous.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2010

I've never been to the Carribean so I didn't know what to expect. Suffice to say it was better than I could have imagined- staying at Marys Boon played a big part in that.

The hotel is definitely not a big chain kind of place but we really loved the boutiquey beach vibe. The staff was always willing to help whether we needed beach towels or ice or even soup for my upset stomach, as long as you can be patient and realize things move a little more slowly on this easy going island.

Our room was right on the beach which is white sand, the most clear, warm water I've ever swam in and totally secluded.

My boyfriend said it best, "Marys Boon is a lot like going to stay at your rich relative's beach house for the week." It's cozy and homey and laid back. Just like the Carribean should be.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2010

We booked an air & hotel package for our honeymoon through Orbitz.com. We got a great deal but were pretty nervous about staying here after reading the reviews, especially because we booked through Orbitz.
Upon arrival, the staff were very friendly and welcoming. I saw on our reservation sheet that they had highlighted the fact that we had booked through Orbitz. We were given room "Lucky 13". I was pretty nervous, but it turned out to be a great spot. The room was very small and tucked away, but it was also very clean and did the job for what we needed. The shower was hot, A/C worked, and the bed was comfy.
It's basically on the runway of the airport, but the noise didn't really bother us. The beach is amazing and really quiet. It's like you have your own private beach.
The hotel was fairly quiet as it was the low-season. We didn't try eating in the restaurant or partaking any of the food onsite.
If you're looking for a resort like the Hilton with full services and 5 stars, this isn't your place. If you're looking for a quaint hotel to do some swimming and come back to at the end of a day sightseeing on St. Martin, Mary's Boon is your place. We wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, even if it was tiny room 13. We felt very safe and welcomed and absolutely fell in love with the island.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank waynegretzky
Reviewed 10 June 2010

Marys boon is definately one of the best locations for a hotel.. literally one foot from the beach.. but other than that there is nothing going on.. during my stay there was some construction going on but regardless the employees were not helpful at all and seemed to care less about making the trip relaxing.. in addition the beach towels supplied were old and fraying and the chairs were most uncomfortable!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank lola10x
Reviewed 17 May 2010

Orbits reservations BEWARE of Mary's Boon! We are experienced travelers in our early 60's and can be pretty flexible. We reserved a Junior Studio - Garden View through Orbitz. We were delighted with the price and looking forward to our stay. The hotel is quaint and very much a beach hotel. I called early on to let them know we would be arriving late. When we arrived, the woman at the front desk told us she was going to upgrade our room, but couldn't because we booked through Orbitz. We didn't know what that meant until she brought us to our room.

We followed her past all of the Garden View Studios and Beach front studios all off of the same path. We made a right between two buildings down a dark alley to our room. I looked around and there was no view of the garden just another building and a lot of mops, brooms, cleaning supplies and a storage unit. She said smiling, "You will be staying in "Lucky 13." Before we even entered, I saw a red flag because hotels never having anything with the number 13 in it. It was creepy!

She opened the door and the room was tiny, dusty and and very dated. There was one small window which looked out on to another building. There was no garden view. There was no view. There was a king size bed, too large for the room with a three inch mattress with a board under it. We could hardly get around the bed to get to the bathroom, the TV was a top an old armoire which would have been impossible to view, there was no storage for our things and the kitchenette was two feet from the bed. Horrible!

I looked at her and said, we reserved a Garden suite for a week. She said, this is the suite you reserved through Orbitz. Surprised, we asked to be upgraded and she said she couldn't that night but that she would get back to us in the morning. But she never did. We paid for internet for the week and when we tried to log on, it didn't work. Called the front desk to let her know and annoyed she said that we would have to come to the lobby to use it cause the room was out of range. We spent the night only because we felt we had no other choice. We decided to leave in the morning if we didn't get upgraded. We'd rather loose the few hundred dollars we had as a deposit than stay another night in this room let alone a week. It was that bad.

The next morning, I told the front desk guy how dissatisfied and unhappy we were with the room and that we wanted to upgrade. He said he would get back to me, but he never did. So I requested an upgrade one last time, but added that my husband was a travel writer and was furious with the treatment we had received and the horrible room we were given and that he would not be saying many kind things about Mary's Boon. The next thing I know, he's in the manager's office. They talked then the hotel manager came out of the office. I said can you help us, we need to be upgraded. He said, "You've already talked with the front desk man (so don't bother me) and he will handle it. You booked through Orbitz so we will do the best we can. I said why do you all keep telling us "oh you reserved through Orbits? Why does that matter. We seem to be penalized for not booking directly." He said when you reserve through Orbitz, this is the type of room you get. I said how was I to know, I'm assuming that I will get the same kind of room you give to everyone else. This room is less than livable. He said we give Orbitz a certain block of rooms to sell and they are different from the ones we offer people who book directly and ... that's why you paid less. So if you have a problem, take it up with Orbitz. And he walked away. I couldn't believe he was the manager. He was horrible and could care less that we were guest at the hotel. We were being treated differently because we booked through Orbitz!

We finally got an upgrade for $50 more a day. We took it and never had anything more to do with the staff of the hotel. The room was also kind of dirty and dated, but it was four times the size of "Lucky 13" and had a beach view. So we stayed just to avoid loosing our money and the hassle of looking for another place.

Orbitz, you need to know that there is a Bait and Switch going on at Mary's Boon. The rooms you are selling are not what they seem and people that book through Orbitz, in our experience, are being treated with distain. We did not have a garden view and it was definitely not what I consider a Jr. Suite. The rooms given to Orbitz to sell are the low end rooms no one else would rent.

Would like to know what Orbitz is going to do!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
#5 of 7 in Simpson Bay
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Mercure Saint-Martin Marina & Spa
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Been to Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!