I agree with stixx3 - RCI needs to go back and review it's standards. Three years ago we came to St. Maarten and stayed further up the hill at the Pelican Resort - which is now called the Simpson Bay Resort... we liked the Pelican/Simpson Bay newer buildings 100% more.
The Atrium was ok...furnishings were adequate, but bathroom was dated, there were no light outlets inside the bathroom - they could only be turned on from in the hall (?).
The cooking area was nice - and also had a space to sit on the stools and eat - but it had a "hood" over the burners and the first night we were there, my husband stood up and cracked his head on the edge of the hood. It did start bleeding, but not enough that we felt he needed stitches.
The bedroom was also just ok - the air conditioning would cycle on and off throughout the night - but it would click and THUMP just before it cycled down. About 2 minutes later it would cycle on (that was ok), but then 5 minutes there would be another click and THUMP. I ended up having to get some earlplugs to see if that would help. I'm a light sleeper so any noise wakes me up.
The balcony area was small and with the type of air conditioning units the buidling uses, it forces the hot air out - which is good - but it forces it out on the balcony! We rearranged the table and chairs to be able to sit out there an enjoy the view - but it was too hot.
Pros: Close to so many restaurants, bars and some shops. Staff was pleasant, friendly and helpful. Beach is close. Pool, although small, is nice.
Cons: Won't come back to the Atrium again. See above.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Atrium Resort & Spa by Festiva Resorts is your getaway in paradise. The smallest island in the world to be shared by two sovereign powers (The Netherlands and France), St. Maarten provides a winning blend of Caribbean hospitality and European sophistication. Rolling hillsides, blue lagoons and breathtaking views are just a few reasons why so many visitors return every year to this island. With its half mile of natural beach and an array of nearby water sports, the Atrium is practically paradise. This quiet, beachfront resort overlooks the calm Caribbean Sea and is minutes from the glamorous nightlife and duty-free shopping of both the Dutch and French sides of the island.Adjoining the resort's pool area is a Spanish tapas bar, Picante. In addition to light and delicious fare, Picante also features a jazz club. If tranquility, luxury and a full-service staff are what you want, the Atrium is the place for you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Atrium Beach Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Atrium Resort And Spa By Festiva Resorts
- Atrium Resort & Spa By Festiva Hotel Simpson Bay
- Atrium Hotel Simpson Bay
- Atrium St Maarten
- Atrium Beach Resort And Spa St Martin / St Maarten/Simpson Bay