In my opinion there is no better location in Simpson Bay. I much prefer this beach to Royal Palm or the beach right next to the runway. There is so much to do here that you can get away without a car and walk to a different place to eat every day. Although I do highly recommend a car to see other beaches. It's a very fun beach but far from St. Maarten's best. Here's the thing about SBR. Your opinion can wholly depend on the room you get. The newer building is the Villas. Everyone loves these. They are new and beautifully decorated. The older rooms are very old and some have been refurbished and others have not. Royal Resorts has just taken over this resort within the past year and my feeling is that the whole resort will be upraded to meet the quality that is expected of them. That said, even though my room was not refurbished we found it to be perfectly fine. It could use a new tile floor and new kitchen counter but overall it was very clean and well maintained. It didn't hurt that it was a large, 2 bedroom unit, right on the beach. The bedding and fabric on the furniture and drapes were all relatively new. The kitchen was clean and well appointed. The grounds here are always very nice and all the pools are maintained beautifully. There is a casino, deli and multiple restaurants. Most of the property has beautiful views. Just check out which unit you will have before you get here and you should be fine. There are some clunkers that face away from the ocean or have their view blocked. The AC units in some are old so if there is a musty smell that is a problem they should be able to move you to somewhere better. We have been here over the years and that happened to us once. We had to wait until Monday when all the timeshare owners checked in to see what was available and they moved us with no problem. What we like best about SBR is the great hotel beach. It's very nice to have an good beach right there for days we don't want to explore other things. Lots of chairs available with palapas and umbrellas. There are 2 good beach bars/restaurants right on the beach with happy hours etc. SBR shares this beach with the Flamingo which has Toppers by the Sea right there on the beach. The beach attendants are great guys, the towel lady can be a little off putting but we had fun trying to make her smile. Service in general was very good. If you are expecting the Ritz it's not for you. However, for the cost and location I really think this is a great place. St. Maarten in general is a busy island with lots to offer. It has recently been congested around this resort with traffic due to construction. There is a lot to do within walking distance and a great water activities place right there called Aquamania. Book a day trip to snorkel and visit another island and you can leave right from here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on a hillside overlooking Simpson Bay, one of the most popular spots on St. Maarten, Simpson Bay Resort & Marina is a peaceful Mediterranean-style holiday village offering comfortable suites and all the services guests could possibly need during their Caribbean vacation. With a sheltered private beach, five pools and colorful gardens full of bougainvillea, hibiscus and Allamanda, Simpson Bay Resort & Marina is a captivating island hideaway where you can enjoy the best family vacation ever. A varied activity program, tennis courts, a spa, water sports, dining and evening entertainment make it a favorite with visitors of all ages. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Simpson Bay Resort & Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Simpson Bay Resort And Marina
- Simpson Bay Resort & Marina Hotel Simpson Bay
- Simpson Bay Resort & Marina St. Maarten-St. Martin