“Great Time”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
Baldwin
“Great Time”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

My wife and I stayed Simpson Bay Resort 5/3-5/11 in the F Building. We had a one bedroom and the balcony faced the beach and had a great view. We checked in at 12:30 and to our surprise the room was ready. The place was very clean and spacious. The outside grounds was very clean and the staff was friendly. We love this area of Simpson Bay, the beach was not crowed and there are a lot of restaurants within walking distance. Not sure why this place gets a bad rap, but we will return if we can get another exchange.

Room Tip: The F building is right on the beach with great views.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tyrone G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Whitby, Ontario Canada
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Stayed at this wonderful resort for three weeks. April 28th. - May 4th. Had a wonderful time. Friendly staff and very attentive. Rooms remodelled and lots of extra towels and linens. Would recommend this establishment to everyone.

Room Tip: We stayed in the D building in a 2 bedroom, and also the Marina building great view.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 9 May 2013

We traded our timeshare to stay here. If your goal is to trade a timeshare and stay on St. Maarten, this place works (after all, you have to choose from what’s available!) I’m not sure I would pick this place if I was booking a hotel room, a lot would depend on the price they were asking.

Keep in mind, the resort is spread out and on a hill, so you might end up with a rather steep hike back from the beach. Also, while employees were generally nice, I was never overwhelmed by the service.

The room: One the plus side, our 1 bedroom “suite” was very spacious and the full kitchen was great. Honestly, however, the hotel room itself was in serious need of an update. Aside from the décor being quite dated and run down, several things actually did not work. For example the screen door to the balcony didn't close properly, so you couldn't leave the door open or mosquitos got in the room. The room was also somewhat dirty. Not the kind of dirty where it seems like the clearing crew didn’t do their job, more the kind of dirty that happens after years in a tropical environment (rust on things in the bathroom, mildew smell in the air, etc.) I’ve read that they are updating rooms at the property, so hopefully those are better. I was contacted by the property before my arrival to ask if I wanted to purchase an “upgrade” which I assume would have gotten me into a newly remodeled room. The price was quite steep and my family doesn’t spend a lot of time in the room, so I declined. (I have to admit to being a bit offended by their request for additional money to get a nicer room – especially given that the resort that I traded for this was much more upscale.) All in all, the room was acceptable, but you need to be thinking more “motel” room than resort hotel.

The beach was lovely and there were plenty of chairs and umbrellas provided by the resort. The pools were also nice. We were there in early April, and the resort did not feel crowded at all.

I recommend renting a car on St. Maarten (there are lots of neat things to see and do all over the island and having a car definitely helps, particularly if you want to spend time on the French side). If you have a rental car, the onsite parking at the resort is very convenient.

There is a small market onsite where you can buy groceries. Keep in mind that they have a $15.00 minimum to use a credit card and you can’t charge to your room. (So don’t run down with your credit card thinking you can just pick up some milk like I did!)

The best part of the resort is Aquamania and Dive Adventures, the tour company that is right on the resort’s marina. We took their tour to St. Barth’s and went Scuba diving with them twice. This is a great company and I highly recommend them. Since we were staying at the resort, we could walk from our room to the marina, making tours quite easy.

I really enjoyed St. Maarten. If you are an active, get out of the resort and experience the island type of traveler, I think Simpson’s Bay Resort will probably work for you. Hopefully they finish the renovations soon and rooms are much nicer, but until then, I don’t think I can recommend this place to folks who like to stick around the resort.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank gailberg
Ljubljana
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Stayed here for just a night, waiting for our flight. Previous time we slept in Westin, but now with our baby we did not bother to drive there, as Simpson Bay is near the Juliana airport, which is very convenient. We did not expect much, but were pleasently surprised.
Room was very big with spacious bathroom and kitchen ( large fridge). Living room is also giant.
Location of the hotel is great, you can easily go around the Simpson Bay for a drink or dinner.
Would recommend, next time with more time we will probably stay here;

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank enjoyer80
Tyler, Texas
Reviewed 25 April 2013

My husband and I are here in st. Maarten for the first time. Last night at Simpson Bay Resort and Marina. We watched an outdoor movie set beside the pool. The movie itself was good but you can't buy this kind of ambience. Imagine a projected large screen with the quit gentle rolling sounds of the ocean around you, a slightly cloudy sky as a boarder around your movie and a beautiful moon with stars in eye shot but not distracting. A gentle ocean breeze to top it all off. Reminded us of outdoor theaters which we enjoyed as children but we never watched one in such a setting. We went over to Buccaneers and picked up a slab of what we think are the best ribs ever and their home frys, grabbed fresh bread from nearby and enjoyed that while we watched our movie. Last night gave dinner and a movie whole new meaning for us. We loved it!

Room Tip: If traveling on exchange through RCI you have a choice of higher up farther from ocean or marina, ch...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tangsrfun
Warwick, Rhode Island
Reviewed 22 April 2013 via mobile

We own four weeks of time share at this resort. Two of our units have been completely renovated. All buildings are scheduled to be completely redone over the next couple years. The location in St Maarten is perfect and the resort is in the best shape it's been in for decades. The staff is friendly and efficient. The units yet to be renovated are OK but have tired furniture and the "B" building elevators are frequently out of service. All units in the "C and D" buildings have been renovated, which is where we are staying now and very happy. This resort was previously known as Pelican Resort.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank David M
Wellsville, New York
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I traded in to this resort through Interval only 3 weeks ahead of time. I chose the resort based on availability but also because I was coming to the island, in part, for a medical conference which just so happened to be offered at this hotel.
I did my research ahead of time and knew what buildings had been renovated and had not but location was my priority. I emailed the resort a couple of weeks ahead of time after receiving notice from Interval that I had been placed in the B buidling (up on the hill) and requested to be placed in either the Marina or Flamboyant buildings. One of the managers emailed me back and advised that he would look in to the inventory and see if the change would be possible. A couple of days before our arrival I was notified that we were placed in the Marina building.
After a long early morning flight, and picking up our rental car from Travel rent a car (also higly recommend), we arrived at the resort at about 3:45. We were told that the room was just about ready and by the time we had parked and got our luggage out, the room was done. We were greeted by a bottle of wine and a personal note welcoming us, from the manager that I had contacted as well as a map of the resort with very specific instructions of how to get the room that held my conference. Although not updated, the one bedroom unit was very large, and more than accomodating. My only issues with the room is that it did not have a balcony... and I had hoped to sit out on the balcony and enjoy the view. I decided to really push my luck and called the front desk to ask if there were any units available with a balcony and they immediately sent up an employee who transported us by van to view another unit in order to see if that was up to par.
This unit was in the Flamboyant building which is beach front, and by beach front, I mean VERY close to the beach :) We could not have been happier. The unit was once again not updated, but really, do you need granite countertops? You are at the beach, how much time do you truly spend in your room?? Wicker furniture and tile floors are not a bad thing. The appliances were more than adequate with full fridge, dishwasher, microwave, oven, and perhaps most important... a blender.
After approving the unit, the employee went back to the old unit and transported all of our luggage to the new one while my husband moved the car to a very convenient spot right in front of the unit.
Honestly, I can not say enough about the service I received. A couple of days later, the manager even stopped by personally, to check to make sure our stay was going well.
As for the resort itself, the grounds were spotless, the beach was nice, and the pool by the villa was quiet and warm. The gym was spectacular and although there was a fee, 55$/week/couple, my husband and I used it daily and would have even paid more to use the facility if we were staying at a neighboring resort. The Red Piano bar, located directly across the parking lot from our unit was a last stop for us nightly and was a lot of fun. Bon Appetit and Alexander's Kitchen were great as well. Buccaneer Beach bar is literally located next door to the resort and there are several other great restaurants and bars within walking distance in the Simpson Bay area, our favorite was Pizza Galley, but we also enjoyed Lees and Pineapple Pete's. There is a well stocked grocery store at the bottom of the hill that we used not only to stock the kitchen for breakfast, lunches, and snacks, but it was also convenient to grab necesseties throughout the week we were there.
We did rent a car and explored most of the island, including, Happy Bay, Friar's Bay, Bay Rouge, Mullet Bay, Maho, Orient Bay, Pinel Island, and Dawn Beach. We also went to Harmony Nights and had an awesome dinner at La Villa in Grand Case and on another day shopped and took a ferry from Marigot in order to spend a day in Anguilla. I really don't feel like we could have picked a more central location or a resort that would have fit our needs as well.
If I had to have one complaint, my only one would be that the guy who pulled out lounge chairs and did towel exchanges on the beach was not the nicest person in the world but that is a very minor complaint when you look at the numerous other positives.

I have been exploring the Caribbean for several years and although I have had many great travel experiences, this is the first time I have found the need to post a review, simply because I feel that they deserve a better rating than many of the other traveler's have given them.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank slyon382
Camilo O, Online Community Manager at Simpson Bay Resort & Marina, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking your time to write such a detailed review! I'm sure it will come in handy to other travelers. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed so much your stay with us. Thank you for the kind words towards our staff and facilities, I will share them with management to congratulate our hard working staff for a job well done. While we understand that different people can have different perspectives, it's always nice to read such a warm review from another happy customer, as it makes us strive to continue providing the best service possible to our members and guests.

I do hope we get the chance of welcoming you back to your home in paradise soon. Until then, please take care and receive our warmest regards from sunny St Maarten.

Best regards,
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
#3 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort

Been to Simpson Bay Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!