“SIMPSON BAY RESORT ON THE BEACH”

Simpson Bay Resort & Marina
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
Kenilworth
“SIMPSON BAY RESORT ON THE BEACH”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Just got back from a week at Simpson Bay Resort on the Beach. We stayed in building F which is older but Very Clean & has the best view of the beach & water. They were the nicest people, everyone say's "Hi". Go see Laura at the Pool Bar. She has to be one of the nicest people I've ever met. If you don't want to go out or just need lunch she can make a burger & fries & don't forget happy hour from 4-6 buy one get one free. Everything is expensive but remember it has to be shipped in. A case of water is $10-$16.00 but you can find inexpensive dinners if you down to the main road (Airport Rd). Plenty of out door eateries. This place is Beautiful and quiet with plenty to do. If you want action and night life it's just down the hill. CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK!

Room Tip: Villa's are the newest and have the Marina View, Building F & P are older but on the beach.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank Susan P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Wallingford, Connecticut
Reviewed 14 August 2013

So I just got back from my 7 day trip to SXM and it was hands down the best trip(to a beach destination) of my life. I'm in my mid twenties and I want with 5 friends who were too. We stayed at the Simpson Bay Resort and Marina that we booked through our timeshare company and ended up paying the extra $995 for the villa.(GET THE VILLA) The villa was 100% the best option. Let me say, the resort as a whole is nice, but the villas are brand new, located right at the pool and a 10 foot walk to the ocean. The villa consists of two rooms separated by a middle door. The "a" room has a full kitchen, dining room, 2 pull down beds, a living room, a full bathroom, a 2 sink vanity outside the bathroom, a room with a king bed and 2 sliding doors that lead to a balcony. The "b" room, had a full size bathroom, same 2 sink vanity, and a small kitchenette with a fridge, microwave, and sink. The room had 2 double beds with a sliding door leading to a different balcony. The room was cleaned EVERYDAY, despite what others said, and everything was high quality(granite counter tops, new dishwasher, dark wood cabinets etc).

So, as you can see we were pretty impressed by the room. Next, the service(by the maids), was great. Like I said they cleaned the room each day and even left us flowers. The service by the hotel in general(front desk) was extremely polite, but slow. Amenities of the resort were great, pool with pool bar was nice, gym was top notch, perfect location, free wifi in the villa, they called cabs for you and even held your luggage for free.

Complaint-and this is small but honestly made it difficult with 6 people, was the toilets. Honestly the worst plumbing I've ever seen. Toilets did not flush, they gurgled all day and night, he water backed up in the shower, and don't even drink the tap water...it honestly tastes like a sewer smells. Also, on our last day nothing would drain-sink, toilet, shower, and we were on the first floor which happened to flood because of a backup in the plumbing system. And when I say flood I mean sewage water flooded the hallways...and reeked...like you know what. They had crews cleaning with bleach...but still it was gross

Otherwise we had an amazing time and I would recommend this resort to anyone and everyone. Great little lagoon with no waves and beautiful views of the water, boats, and even the planes landing and taking off. Minimal noise from the planes or annoying visitors(mainly families with small children) and close to everything. The island is only like 37 square miles...

A few tips--take public transportation! They look like vans, but that is their bus system and it's only $1.50 a ride to anywhere opposed to $5 a person in a taxi.

Go out to eat! The food was amazing everywhere and the grocery store is overpriced. Recommendations: The greenhouse(best place 3 nights straight), zeebest breakfast, lunarossa(italian), and pineapple pete's(if you like sports and pizza). Just don't get annoyed at the slow service, they are all slow, but they are all extremely friendly. It's island time, not rush hour in new york.

Cigarettes are $2 a pack pretty much anywhere, don't pay over $4 bucks for a six pack of beer(aka don't buy it at the supermarket but literally anywhere else) and haggle over everything and anything that is sold outside of the grocery store, I'm talking cab drivers, jewelry stores, restaurants, beach chairs, outdoor markets, etc.

Best beach--we went to orient, it is nice, but it is also one half nude old people and the other half is all beach chairs you have to rent or there is no where to sit. Phillipsburg had the bets beach and you don't have to rent chairs and it is right on a boardwalk with unlimited shopping and eating. You can jetski, paddleboard, snorkel, etc at either and at pretty much all beaches on the island. Seashells, unlike others have said, can be found prevalent all over the phillipsburg beaches and if you want a conch visit tintamaree(spelling is def wrong). It's a jetski ride away from Orient and that is where they take you to snorkel. It should be called Conch island because there are hundreds of them littering the small beach(people decorate them and leave them on the rocks for display).

Nightlife-do this in this order(we were told by the locals)-Mon-red piano, Tuesday-La bamba for dancing on the beach, Wed-Tantra night club(ladies night open til 3am), Thursday-slow day not much going on, Friday-Soggy dollar bar. And try to go to soprano's or sky beach bar, sopranos has live music and pianos, and sky beach is on the rooftop which they covered in sand and added wicker furniture and couches everywhere, its a really cool setting(neon lighting, dj, hookah, etc) and surprisingly people get really dressed up to go there. Just don't go anywhere until like 11. Everywhere will be dead until then.

And I think that is everything, I loved it there and I hated leaving. I think next year is Hawaii, but it will have a tough time standing up to the time we had in St. Maarten.

Room Tip: The villa or bust
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
10 Thank KyleB24
Elizabeth, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I was stuck in SMX on a connecting flight and found this place last minute while I am used to the clean chain hotel and am familiar to the grundgy island rooms this was in the middle.

The check in was long but the lady was nice in accommodating my stay, I was a solo person upgraded to a studio on the first floor with ocean view.

The room: The room was on the first floor not ocean view and in the dark did not feel so safe since anyone from the outside can walk to your front door. The room was spacious and had a full kitchen but there where crumbs in the cabinet and hair on the floor on the bathroom.

I did not get a chance to try the pool or much of the place up this would be ok if you plan to just drop your bags and go out and explore the island. For the price its ok but I would not stay here if I was on an extended holiday.

Room Tip: Wifi it terrible so make sure to ask for a room with good wifi
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Lake Mary, Florida
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The Simpson Bay Resort and Marina is showing great improvement. My husband and I just returned from two wonderful weeks at what some know to be the old Pelican Resort. As timeshare owners at the resort we lived through court case after court case and a lot of unpleasantness during the change of ownership, but happily it seems the new owners are making good on their promises to improve the resort. Following a schedule, buildings are being systematically refurbished and updated. The one bedroom unit we had for the two weeks was on the future list of units to be redone, but it was clean and comfortable. The attitude of the staff has improved considerably and the grounds are well maintained. The beach is good as always, but for the abundance of shells and the steep drop off at the shoreline which is natural and has always existed. For easier access to the water, try going in on the side closest to the beach hut. We were very pleased with what saw and experienced and are glad we hung onto our timeshare unit during the unpleasantness.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Geonannie
Florham Park, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We stayed here last summer and had the most fun ever! We stayed for 10 days, which is perfect for this island. You can rent a car and go to any beach you want! We felt really safe in St. Maarten. The resort itself is absolutely amazing and the people who work here are really helpful. I plan on going back again and am really looking forward to the casino as well as the many beaches St Maarten has to offer!

Room Tip: Try and stay by the new pool
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yogaprincess41
bayside,newyork
Reviewed 27 July 2013

let me start by saying i have worked in the travel industry for 15yrs. the first room they took me to was not cleaned yet...it was filthy...and i am sorry but i do not want to see the filth that the previous guest left. they showed me two more rooms... one was at the top of a hill..but i was travelling with an infant.....it would have been way too difficult. when i booked the reservation my room description was "ocean front" i had seen 3 rooms at this point and i still had not seen the beach... finallay, they gave me a ground floor room,( that i had requested prior to arrival) the location of the room was perfect..but the room was outdated ...and only had a/c in the bedroom. and the pull out couch was broken ...( my kids slept on it) we did do the time share tour and the new rooms looked nice. DO NOT EAT or DRINK at the beach bar....the bartender was very rude and it is sooo over pricec $7.00 per beer...just go to the peli deli and buy a case for $23.00. I also found it disturbing while i was on the beach with my children the bartender went on the jetty....and relieved himself...Really...its a family resort.... and did not see him wash his hands.....the island has plenty of things to do....and the beach was nice....but if your looking for something fancy...this is not the place.

Room Tip: i do have to say most of the staff was pretty nice and helpful....other then the beach bar staff..wh...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank mrs.travelpro
Camilo O, Online Reputation Manager at Simpson Bay Resort & Marina, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Dear mrs.travelpro,

I am truly sorry to hear about your experience. We always strive to provide guests with outstanding service and it is always important for us to follow through when this isn't the case.

I tried contacting you to request more information about the incidents you mention but unfortunately I didn't received a reply. Nevertheless, we will review more closely the service provided by the beach bar staff. Please contact me directly in order to have more details about the incident.

Looking forward to your message, please receive my warmest regards from St. Maarten.

Camilo Olea
Online Reputation Manager
Simpson Bay Resort & Marina
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 July 2013

My husband and I are currently here on our honeymoon. We stayed in the newer villas overlooking the Simpson Bay for our first week and this week we are down the hill a little in some of the older villas which are directly on the beach. People keep telling us to rent a car but we have not decided to rent a car because everything we have been recommended to visit for meals have been in walking distance. We have walked to Pineapple Pete's, Lee's, Jimbo's, Zee Best, Greenhouse, the movie theater, and a brand new supermarket. Since moving down the hill we are directly across from The Red Piano, Bon Appetit, an Italian restaurant and a small grocery store. The staff has been nothing less than wonderful to us. You will run into people that want you to view the property in hopes of you purchasing a timeshare, but you decide if you want to do it or not. It's up to you! Simpson Bay's staff has made our experience and our honeymoon so wonderful!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
#3 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa

Been to Simpson Bay Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!