“Sad to leave but great memories”

Simpson Bay Resort & Marina
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Simpson Bay
Reviewed 28 December 2013

For us no matter where we stay at this resort we are always happy. We were in one of the older studios but It did not matter because we don't spend anytime in the room. We were on the third floor and had a beautiful view of the ocean and the patio was more than big enough to enjoy coffe in the morn or just sit out and enjoy . Even though we were on the hill it is still in walking distance of everything in the area. Beach, restaurants, Red Piano, beach bars. The staff was great. Absolutely no complaints.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank islaandwomen

Reviewed 27 December 2013

After touring the island a bit, I think Mullet Beach is the best place to stay for people who want to enjoy a nicer beach and more nightlife in the nearby town of Maho. Simpson Bay beach is not one contiguous stretch; this hotel has two tiny little pockets of it that are bracketed by rocks on both sides. Sand is not pure white and definitely not powdery. Water is not clear generally in St. Martin because of the little banks that have been created into which St. Martin's small waves crash. Decent but not at all exceptional beach. Go to Anguilla for better ones, comparable to Cancun, not Turks and Caicos.

My hot water went out for two days, and after trying to fix it for a day they (the manager I talked to was named Javony Smith) just wanted me to pack everything up and move to another room the night before I was to leave. That was a non-starter, and he proceeded to argue with me about whether this entitled me to a discount. This is not an American-style hotel staff where the customer is right. Totally different mentality.

Main building is nice, but when you're making reservations it's not clear which building you're getting into.

Go to Lee's restaurant nearby. Crowded because it's probably the best place around. Pick your own live lobster.

Room Tip: Stay in the updated main hotel building or the beach front villa. I got a beach view suite, from whi...
3  Thank E M
Reviewed 27 December 2013

MORE LIKE A 4.5 STAR.......My husband and I stayed here for my annual birthday trip. We stayed in one of the renovated studio villas. I was VERY NICE! Plenty of space (not that we were there much) and very clean. We had a phenomenal ocean front view, to die for! The resort itself is also very nice. I am saving most of my compliments for the staff....UNBELIEVABLE!!!! From the security, to housekeeping, to the front desk, to the concierge, the bartenders......super nice, friendly, and polite. I can not say enough good things about them. For example, our home flight was cancelled (oh, darn, lol) due to snow back in NYC. The resort staff was kind enough to help us stay another night, same price as I paid MONTHS ago, PLUS kept us in the same room. It may not seem like a big deal to some people but they made things so easy and helped ease my anxiety. Another example would one of the concierge ladies (I can not remember her name. I am so so sorry) who was super kind to give my husband and I a ride to a local restaurant when she got off work.
The beach is lovely. There are two pools. The one directly off the beach is my preference. The other one (which is by the villa's) is nice too but usually very cold as it sits in the shade most of the day.
My only two "complaints" about this resort is the gym (have to pay extra $$ per day to use) and the beach bar (lack of food and beverages).
The resort is in a fabulous location!!!! This is one of the reasons why I chose Simpson Bay Resort. It is in the middle of everything!!! Close to so many restaurants, bars, entertainment, casinos, and water activities. The location was perfect for us!
I would not hesitate to stay here again or to recommend any friends or family to stay at this resort (and I already have!).

Room Tip: stay in the villas, ocean front! It's worth it!!
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I will never stay here again. There hasn't been hot water for 3 DAYS. The first day there was no hot water, I called asking when it would be back and they told me the next morning. Next morning, no hot water, I call again the second day but now they don't pick up. I go to the front desk in person and ask when the hot water will be back or if they could move me into another building with hot water. They say they can't move me and the hot water will be on the next morning at the latest. Third day evening, NO HOT WATER STILL. I try to call again and no one picks up anywhere. This place is terrible and I will never stay here again. I wouldn't even stay if it was for free. The customer service is terrible. Very few of the employees have any manners and are incredibly rude at times. Not only that, the room service is very lazy at times. The first night I got here, there weren't blankets for the two pull down beds, so I called asking for them at 9PM. They brought them at 11PM. It doesn't take that long to get two blankets. There also weren't any toilet tissue rolls in the bathroom. In conclusion, I would not recommend this place. Service is terrible and definitely not worth what you pay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank maymay P

that is our 3rd night.
for the last 24 hrs we have no hot water.
no one manager on site! all gone! of course - its Xmass evening and its OK to go home also you know you have hot water problem.
only one poor (and mot polite at all) receptionist left behind.....

"you did good? no one remember....you did bad? no one ever forget!"

2  Thank amitisraeli
Gerardo G, Online Reputation Manager at Simpson Bay Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Dear Amit,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and the community. My name is Gerardo Gonzalez from the Online Reputation department. I was the person who sent you an e-mail previously.

Your remarks about the service you received at the Simpson Bay Resort & Marina are important for us. We desire that the guest who comes to us should have a good experience staying at the resort, so what you mentioned happens to be a matter of concern for us. First, we would like to offer you our sincere apologies. Even though we wanted to give you a wonderful time giving you a an upgrade free of charge apparently, there was some sort of technical malfunction with the hot water, giving us such an embarrassing situation.

We appreciate the fact that you let us know the situation and for such problems not to recur, we are redesigning our processes.

Again thank you for your comments and we are putting our service on the glass to take action immediately and hoping that you can give us another chance to serve you.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 24 December 2013

My husband and I just got back from our 5 day trip in St. Martin. We arrived on Thursday airline was on time. Customs was slow and the traffic from the airport (supposed to be a 5 min ride to the hotel) was awful. But we are told that many people visit during this time, so understandable. Once we got to the hotel it took an hour to get checked it (unacceptable). They have no computer system to be able to upgrade or change accomodations. They have to call reservations. We landed at 3:15 and didn't get in our room until 6:15
Being that this is a resort you would expect stellar service, but the staff isn't trained.

Room: We stayed in the F bldg which hasn't been upgraded yet, but the view right on the beach was spectacular. There are a lot of mosquitos at night mainly so make sure you bring spray or purchase. One of the taxi drivers did mention some people had gotten a virus called Dungue that is from being bit. If you plan on just hanging in your room and the beach and doing stuff around the resort, i wouldn't recommend the F bldg, because the couch isn't very comfortable and the TV is only an old 20 inch.

Maid service came everyday except for one, and did a nice job. The bed was super comfortable. Plenty of extra towels and kitchen utensils if you want to dine in. There was no coffee provided, but there is a coffee pot.

Hotel: The hotel is on a hill, so you have to hoof it to get from reservations to your room. We are in good shape and my calfs were burning from the walk.

Staff: Most of the staff was friendly, but not overly like you would except from a place that calls themselves a resort. When they were super friendly, they were trying to get you to come to a time share sale. Every time we walked down the hill to the grocery store, there was some guy with his loud music playing trying to work a deal with you for an excursion if you would go see a time share.

Restaurants: they have plenty of good places to eat on site, a casino and a nice grocery store with reasonable prices to buy wine, beer, food. At the bottom of the hill, there is a big grocery store if you want to buy for a few days.

Taxi's: We didn't rent a car, but you can ask at the concierge desk for a taxi. Cost 15 to airport, 15 to Phillipsburg & Marigot shooping 25 to Orient Beach

Shopping: We enjoyed the shopping at Phillipsburg, but didn't care of Marigot it was nice to see, but it wasn't laid out for easy shopping and a lot of the places were high end shops. Shops that only the people that own the yachts around there could afford.

3  Thank ldsc07
Reviewed 24 December 2013

The room was ok. The value was ok. If you had an arrow sticking through your head the front desk would get to you when they felt like it. I left something there and they said they would mail it 4 times and didn't (even though they weren't obligated to). NOthing special. It has running water, i'll give them that.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Simpson Bay
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
Oyster Bay Beach Resort
#3 of 8 in Oyster Pond

Been to Simpson Bay Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!