We have just returned from a week here as part of an RCI exchange. We were told at the check in desk that we were not entitled to a renovated room because of the RCI status but we were given a great two bedroom penthouse suite in the older Marina bldg. It was in need of updating but it was large with a great outdoor balcony overlooking the harbour. The beds and linen appeared to be new. The staff were generally friendly and helpful and left us alone after we declined the timeshare talk several times.
The resort in close to many good/great restaurants and bars but you will need a car to see the island. I suggest you rent if from the Thrifty location in the lobby. The cars are small and will not fit 4 people plus luggage for the trip to/from the airport and the taxis are inexpensive.
Must eat at: Bon Appetit (breakfast, pastries), The Stone (surprisingly good), Greenhouse, Buccaneer Bar (ribs are the best!), Pineapple Pete's (great fish), SkipJack's (grilled fish).
It is true that there is no parking in Philipsburg so take the bus from the resort (free) and get a taxi back. Very busy with the cruiseship patrons.
The beaches are beautiful but very crowded, especially the calmer Caribbean side. The Atlantic side is so windy that snorkeling was not possible. The snorkeling/swimming on the Caribbean side was better but not really a lot to see. Not a lot of live coral so only a few fish.
Mullet Beach is very busy on a Sunday (avoid) but the lunch at the beach bar is cheap and good.
Friar's Bay beach is hard to find but worth it for a quieter locale. The bar/restaurant here is nice but shockingly expensive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on a hillside overlooking Simpson Bay, one of the most popular spots on St. Maarten, Simpson Bay Resort & Marina is a peaceful Mediterranean-style holiday village offering comfortable suites and all the services guests could possibly need during their Caribbean vacation. With a sheltered private beach, five pools and colorful gardens full of bougainvillea, hibiscus and Allamanda, Simpson Bay Resort & Marina is a captivating island hideaway where you can enjoy the best family vacation ever. A varied activity program, tennis courts, a spa, water sports, dining and evening entertainment make it a favorite with visitors of all ages. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Expedia, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Simpson Bay Resort & Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Simpson Bay Resort & Marina Hotel Simpson Bay
- Simpson Bay Resort And Marina
- Simpson Bay Resort & Marina St. Maarten-St. Martin